last book you read
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
which is the worst way to die
best way

In the ninth century B.C., the Greek stoic philosopher Chrysippus died of laughter after giving his donkey wine, then seeing it attempt to feed on figs.

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:29 pm 
The_G0D

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
which is the worst way to die
best way

In the ninth century B.C., the Greek stoic philosopher Chrysippus died of laughter after giving his donkey wine, then seeing it attempt to feed on figs.

3rd century, that wiki page is rong.

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:43 pm 
Jon;

that's not from wikipedia.

He died during the 143rd Olympiad (208–204 BC) at the age of 73.[1] Diogenes Laërtius gives two different accounts of his death.[13] In the first account, Chrysippus was seized with dizziness having drunk undiluted wine at a feast, and died soon after. In the second account, he was watching a donkey eat some figs and cried out: "Now give the donkey a drink of pure wine to wash down the figs", whereupon he died in a fit of laughter.

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:05 pm 
Fast Luck

yes it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_from_laughter

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:29 pm 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
yes it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_from_laughter

hmm, dumb fucks on wikipedia.

On 24 March 1975, Alex Mitchell, a 50-year-old bricklayer from King's Lynn, England, died laughing while watching the "Kung Fu Kapers" episode of The Goodies, featuring a kilt-clad Scotsman battling a vicious black pudding with his bagpipes. After twenty-five minutes of continuous laughter, Mitchell finally slumped on the sofa and died from heart failure. His widow later sent The Goodies a letter thanking them for making Mitchell's final moments of life so pleasant

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 pm 
ChrisLui

another good philip k dick novel:

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:28 pm 
ChrisLui

for people that have read murakami and thought highly of hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world:

can you list other murakami novels that you think are really good? i was looking at sputnik sweetheart and south of the border, west of the sun. anyone have any thoughts on those two?

also, have you ever read any books that somewhat resemble hb wonderland - particularly the dreary, isolated otherworldliness of "the end of the world"? this one's probably a long shot but doesn't hurt to ask i guess.

Post Sun May 29, 2011 10:48 pm 
7VlesSiah

Some Sci-fi fantasy garbage I enjoyed this year:

I just finished The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. It is a fun enough read. A lot better than his Night Angel trilogy.

Before that I read The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card. His typical prodigy book. Okay read.

Just before that I read Secret Of The Dragon by Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. That is the second book in their new series Dragonships. It was typical of their books. If you enjoy their other works you will like this series.

Worst book I read this year:

The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Caravan. Fucking terrible garbage.

I started to read the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. I figure I should read it before watching the tv series and wrecking the books.[/b]

Post Sun May 29, 2011 11:12 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah

I just finished The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. It is a fun enough read. A lot better than his Night Angel trilogy.

.[/b]

I'm surprised you thought black prism was better than Night Angel trilogy.

Anyways, if you're a fantasy reader, get into Steven Erickson's series--so long as you don't mind reading 10 books over 900+ pages each. He's a bit verbose, but the world is very rich, as is the story.

Post Sun May 29, 2011 11:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
swift0ne

"Absence of mind" By Marilynne Robinson

Post Mon May 30, 2011 12:24 am 
$paCe

What kind of guy sits around reading fantasy books? "and his heart was throbbing through his chest as she recognized his existence" (kithkanin blows load) lol weaklings

Post Mon May 30, 2011 1:03 am 
7VlesSiah

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah

.[/b]

I'm surprised you thought black prism was better than Night Angel trilogy.

Anyways, if you're a fantasy reader, get into Steven Erickson's series--so long as you don't mind reading 10 books over 900+ pages each. He's a bit verbose, but the world is very rich, as is the story.

I couldn't stand his naive love story. Every few pages he'd flip flop with the girl's appearance. One page she is a goddess of such beauty it should be immortalized in stone. Next page she is a girl so disfigured no one can lay eyes on her.

Seemed very juvenile.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 5:28 am 
foonat

Post Mon May 30, 2011 10:32 am 
7VlesSiah

quote:
Originally posted by $paCe
What kind of guy sits around reading fantasy books? "and his heart was throbbing through his chest as she recognized his existence" (kithkanin blows load) lol weaklings

It is something fun to read. They create these crazy worlds with their own rules. Basically if you love watching action and fantasy movies the books will appeal to you. The movies are normally far worse and so few of them are put out in a year.

I started reading fantasy novels a few years back. I picked up the Dark Sword series and I since have read basically every book Tracy Hickman and Margret Weiss have written and a lot of other authors. It is trash but enjoyable. Just how chicks crave romance, guys crave action.

Before that, I read only Sci-fi and literature.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 10:49 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

hey nedok you went to school for geography right? ever read any david harvey? i'll aim u if u dont see this after awhile

Post Mon May 30, 2011 6:06 pm 
ChrisLui

just finished blood meridian, hop if you haven't read it yet you should. makes the road look like a stroll through the garden of eden

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:58 pm 

that's what i heard. i just bought it a couple of months ago and it's been moving up the stack. i'm most of the way through suttree now. pretty glad i picked that one up.

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:35 am 
Fast Luck

its ok

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:19 am 
ChrisLui

I tell you this. As war becomes dishonored and its nobility called into question those honorable men who recognize the sanctity of blood will become excluded from the dance, which is the warrior’s right, and thereby will the dance become a false dance and the dancers false dancers. And yet there will be one there always who is a true dancer and can you guess who that might be?

You ain’t nothin.

You speak truer than you know. But I will tell you. Only that man who has offered up himself entire to the blood of war, who has been to the floor of the pit and seen horror in the round and learned at last that it speaks to his inmost heart, only that man can dance.

Even a dumb animal can dance.

The judge set the bottle on the bar. Hear me, man, he said. There is room on the stage for one beast and one alone. All others are destined for a night that is eternal and without name. One by one they will step down into the darkness before the footlamps. Bears that dance, bears that dont.

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:23 pm 
Fast Luck

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 pm 
Fast Luck

wtf why is my post invisible

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:38 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

that happened to me once. copying and pasting a certain thing always made my post come up blank, dont remember what it was

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm 
Fast Luck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopscotch_(Julio_Cortazar_novel)

seems to happen when i put url tags around the full url the post gets invisible. anyway seems interesting so far

last thing i read was man and superman by george bernard shaw and before that i read light in august by faulkner. this book hopscotch is pretty different

my take on blood meridian was that i was obviously reading something by a really talented author but it didnt really get me, i mean you have this larger than life devil type character and some brutal historical fiction. but i didnt glean too much from it that was meaningful to me

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:47 pm 
ChrisLui

i like it for a lot of the same reasons i liked the no country for old men movie. you have all these different guys wandering around trying to make sense out of a chaotic world. guys like the judge/chigurh are interesting because of how insane they are but then there are guys like tommy lee jones's character who really gives the story its pathos (not only by way of his personal predicament, but also the way it makes you think about life and "the bigger picture"). there isn't really a character like that in blood meridian but you have glimpses of it in some of the characters like the kid or the expriest and also a bunch of the scenes the author describes evoke the same feelings (like the dead woman the kid/man finds at the end of the book).

also the way mccarthy writes sets a really nice mood/tone for the book. i have a hard time putting these things into words but the way the coens shot no country really feels the way blood meridian felt while i was reading it. minimalistic/dreary, i dunno something like that.

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:21 pm 
ChrisLui

GN:

do you think cyclonopedia would be accessible to someone who is a bit of a noob to philosophy? i saw it before and thought it sounded neat but wasn't sure if it would be over my head

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:20 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i'm not the most well-versed in philosophy myself, i mean i have a healthy interest but i didn't major or even minor in it in school or anything. and i think its pretty accessible. even if you don't necessarily get every reference (i don't) the form and aesthetic of the writing and the narrative/mythology of the book are really cool

maybe download a pdf of something like a thousand plateaus, the experience is comparable

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm 
SuperSly

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
foonat

have any of u guys read any george bernard shaw? was considering getting the pygmalion, any other suggestions

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:41 am 

I read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and Lewis references Shaw's philosophies somewhat frequently. I've been meaning to look into him as well.

As for "last book I read" ... Suttree is pretty badass. It took a while to get used to it, but once I did it was great. Definitely not one you'd consider an easy read, but definitely worth it.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:27 am 
Jon;

Howard Zinn - A People's History of the United States

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:05 am