FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

last book you read
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
~Dakine..HeX

the simmons book has a lot of simmons' regular nonsense (HOLY SHIT THIS IS LIKE THAT SCENE IN BOOGIE NIGHTS WHERE BLAH BLAH)

but dude knows his shit about the history of the nba

Post Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:25 pm 
Yay

just read running with scissors. pretty strange, kinda funny.

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by Biggs.
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa
Nah that was just to make you guys read it if you haven't already read it. Very Happy

I am a huge fan of russian writers, specially Tolstoy, Chekhov and Dostoyevsky, but I really don´t see why people find Anna Karenina so amazing. I think it is overrated and way to cheesy, and for me to be saying that is a lot (Love in times of Cholera is one of my favourite books).

Those are 3 really big names, although I never read any work of Chekhov yet.

"flawless as a work of art" -Fyodor Dostoyevsky
He shares the same opinion as me, I loooooooooooved Anna Karenina. I haven't read to many Russian literature but a few. Are you russian yourself? Do you know who Ivan Aivazovsky where?

I'm really into victorian female writters such as Charlotte, Emily and Anne Brontë, Elizabeth Gaskell, Mary Anne Evans, and Jane Austen. I have a few 'my favourite book ov all time' but if I really had to chose one it'd be Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. and i'm really into world war/holocaust books.

Right now i'm reading Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:16 pm 
Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
quote:
quote:
jag forstar litte svenska

vad bra, fortsätt studera det, föreslår att du läser lite böcker och tittar mycket på svenska filmer med undertext som typ twilight??

Jag förstår inte !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laughing Do you speak any language other than English? If my memory serves me correctly, Vlad Tepes was your great-great-great-great grandfather (and i'm Elizabeth Bathory Wink) but do you speak Romanian?

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:31 pm 
Jon;

no

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:37 pm 
chaos

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
seriously though if you need oprah to tell you that anna karenina is a good book and tolstoy is a good writer i just like...i don't even know what

story of ur life

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:40 pm 
SarX

Stephen Kings "Skeleton Crew"

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:05 pm 
chaos

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:45 pm 
Jon;

the girl next door - jack ketchum

i started reading and the opening sentence

"tied to a beam while a madwoman burns away her clitoris with a
laundry-iron."

i jizzed in my pants, will continue reading later.

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:35 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:

laundry-iron."

damn bro ur so edgy and cool >_>

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:59 pm 
MassiveAttack

The Balkans by Mischa Glenny.

So far its pretty deep and starts from the first Serbian uprising and the liberation of Greeks from the Ottoman Empire all the way to the end of the 20th century.

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:12 am 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
quote:

laundry-iron."

damn bro ur so edgy and cool >_>

you're proof homo sapiens bred with neanderthals

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 am 
Biggs.

quote:
quote:
quote:
Nah that was just to make you guys read it if you haven't already read it. Very Happy

I am a huge fan of russian writers, specially Tolstoy, Chekhov and Dostoyevsky, but I really don´t see why people find Anna Karenina so amazing. I think it is overrated and way to cheesy, and for me to be saying that is a lot (Love in times of Cholera is one of my favourite books).

Those are 3 really big names, although I never read any work of Chekhov yet.

"flawless as a work of art" -Fyodor Dostoyevsky
He shares the same opinion as me, I loooooooooooved Anna Karenina. I haven't read to many Russian literature but a few. Are you russian yourself? Do you know who Ivan Aivazovsky where?

I'm really into victorian female writters such as Charlotte, Emily and Anne Brontë, Elizabeth Gaskell, Mary Anne Evans, and Jane Austen. I have a few 'my favourite book ov all time' but if I really had to chose one it'd be Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. and i'm really into world war/holocaust books.

Right now i'm reading Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Nope, I`m Chilean, I just like russian literature a lot.

Oscar Wilde is great too, I re-read dorian gray a couple of years ago and it seemed different than the first time I read it. I know this happens with almost every book, but it seemed more so with this one.

I haven´t read any of that victorian female writters but Jane Austen. I had to read pride and prejudice in english for school, so that wasn´t a nice experience. I prefer to read in spanish, and the version I read probably was a dumb down with basic english for non-native english students, so it is not probably the same book you read.

I haven´t read many books written by women, really don`t know why, just haven´t. Maybe it is because I was forced to read Isabel Allende`s books when I was in high school, and I didn`t like them at all. Quite a stupid reason I must admit. I will check out Jane Eyre as soon as I finish with Archipiélago Gulag from Alexander Solzhenitsyn. GN is probably going to call this book Capitalist Propaganda, but don`t bother, I haven´t started it yet so I don´t have an opinion.

It is nice to recomend books here, something useful for a change. I read Morel`s Invention by Casares because someone recomend it, and it was a nice read.

Do you like Latin American literature??

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:00 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
I will check out Jane Eyre as soon as I finish with Archipiélago Gulag from Alexander Solzhenitsyn. GN is probably going to call this book Capitalist Propaganda, but don`t bother, I haven´t started it yet so I don´t have an opinion.

thats not totally true actually, its actually tsarist propaganda. solzhenitsyn was a tsarist, he literally thought russia was better off under the tsars roflll. and he loved putin too

that might might be okay if read as fiction, just be known that its political content is propaganda for tsardom and serfdom and that much of the book is outright lies. solzhenitsyn says insane things like "stalin had his own holocaust planned for the jews" with no evidence whatsoever, and the numbers and statistics in his book have been widely debunked by even anti-communist historians (who equivocate by saying the numbers aren't as important)
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 am 
Biggs.

quote:
quote:
I will check out Jane Eyre as soon as I finish with Archipiélago Gulag from Alexander Solzhenitsyn. GN is probably going to call this book Capitalist Propaganda, but don`t bother, I haven´t started it yet so I don´t have an opinion.

thats not totally true actually, its actually tsarist propaganda. solzhenitsyn was a tsarist, he literally thought russia was better off under the tsars roflll. and he loved putin too

that might might be okay if read as fiction, just be known that its political content is propaganda for tsardom and serfdom and that much of the book is outright lies. solzhenitsyn says insane things like "stalin had his own holocaust planned for the jews" with no evidence whatsoever, and the numbers and statistics in his book have been widely debunked by even anti-communist historians (who equivocate by saying the numbers aren't as important)

Ok, once I read it I will let you know what I think about it. I read books mostly for fun though, so my comments about it will probably be something like "it is a good book" or "it sucks" regardless of the rigurosity, if any, of the facts presented.

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

thats fine, just don't be so stupid as to take it as a factual account of the gulag like so many other idiots do

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:28 am 
Jon;

An Encyclopedia of Swearing: The Social History of Oaths, Profanity, Foul Language, And Ethnic Slurs in the English-speaking World

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:42 pm 
Fast Luck

i just read 3 ross macdonald books
he's a detective novel writer, but he owns, he's a damn fine writer.

best mystery novelist ever?

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 pm 
$hazm

Juggler of worlds. It was alright the constant jumping forward in time made it hard to get into. Fleet of Worlds was better and I am sure Destroyer of Worlds will also be better.

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

shitty dork writer reads shitty dork sci-fi? shocking

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:45 pm 
$hazm

I learnt more of value from the last shitty sci fi novel than you have learnt from the last fifteen novels you read.

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:58 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by $hazm
I learnt more of value from the last shitty sci fi novel than you have learnt from the last fifteen novels you read.

lol just going to quote this

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 pm 
Mataga3

quote:
quote:
quote:
It's recommended by Ophah, which means it's a MUST read.

Full sypnosis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Karenina

lolll this is wrong on so many levels

well that isn't good!

This is very nice book about one girl ho is in the war Izrael.

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sappy

quote:

Please discuss.

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 am 
ChrisLui

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
i just read 3 ross macdonald books
he's a detective novel writer, but he owns, he's a damn fine writer.

best mystery novelist ever?
i haven't read many detective novels but i really like raymond chandler. just looked up ross macdonald and he sounds cool, thanks for mentioning him ^_^

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:44 pm 
$hazm

Well the way I see it, the books I normally read deal with higher ideals. Strength of character, honor, justice, perseverance, honesty, integrity, overcoming impossible odds, staying strong in the face of defeat, the kind of stuff that really defines us as humans, but that you rarely find examples of in the real world.

Sure, it's normally wrapped up in some pretty wild tales, but the tales are just there for entertainment. You have to look past them to see the real value in what I read.

To me, the kind of books ghostnuke talks about just spoon feed you a bunch of biased information that you could just as easily as far more accurately gain by simple observation of the world around you.

That's just how I feel about it. I know some people will read this and will have a bunch of questions and want examples to back up my claims and all that crap, but the truth is, like most of my claims, the only thing that will satisfy some people seems to be a 500 page essay with references and examples and a point by point walkthrough on how I came to such conclusions etc etc. It's what people are used to I guess, and it is completely beyond them to imagine that the proof is right there and can be gained by simple observation.

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:24 pm 
Sentinel

quote:
Well the way I see it, the books I normally read deal with higher ideals. Strength of character, honor, justice, perseverance, honesty, integrity, overcoming impossible odds, staying strong in the face of defeat, the kind of stuff that really defines us as humans, but that you rarely find examples of in the real world.

Oh wow overcoming impossible odds and staying strong in the face of defeat, what unique and character-building lessons. I remember when I learned those... in the Disney movie Mighty Ducks Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:33 pm 
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel
quote:

Oh wow overcoming impossible odds and staying strong in the face of defeat, what unique and character-building lessons. I remember when I learned those... in the Disney movie Mighty Ducks Laughing Laughing
LOL

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:52 pm 
$hazm

And yet sadly the lessons of the mighty ducks was lost on you, since only the flippant attitude of a 13 year old child seems to have taken root.

edit - you make it into a joke, but only because it is over your head.

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:

ahahahahahahhahaha holy fucking lolllll

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:59 pm