FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Patch 1.1.2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
turtleman@can

Well that's interesting. I have never researched it before in a serious game. I still think the siege time is too long for it to be effective in battle. It's like walking a siege tank into the middle of a fight and sieging it. It would be cool if you could siege it before having to select a target so you could prepare for incoming forces.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:46 pm 
Sparkz102

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
Well that's interesting. I have never researched it before in a serious game. I still think the siege time is too long for it to be effective in battle. It's like walking a siege tank into the middle of a fight and sieging it. It would be cool if you could siege it before having to select a target so you could prepare for incoming forces.

i agree, the set up time and casting range really can work against u - i wouldnt recommend the ability on zerg until u see ultras because of that, but in my scenario, vs immortals, it was ideal - maybe even tvt thors 250m on tanks or opposing thors

with some more pactice with them, its almost a rush/lust kinda thing and the 250m destroys chokes, - cast it on some depots and ur in their base -almost making the seige from the tank unneeded

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am 
Shotgun_

never used the 250 cannon, does it really work? Alot of people thor rush already in TVT but if ur a solid tank/vikign player u can own it, esp if u drop ship them as they generally have to rush early with thors

PS. Sparkz is newb

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:36 am 
DrunkeN

I use 250mm in 2s if I mech, it's kinda of pt less.
DPS of reg attack near the same if not the same of 250 mm.

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
kublikhan

quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah
Seems a bit much to me. Every change they made is practically a nerf for toss. I don't get it. Why would they make voids shit? I mean a non charged void is useless. Now a charged voids is crap.

Range change to roach rape any fast expand with cannon strat. They removed the mana bars from corrupters and thors. Only reason for that is to nerf feedback. Toss are running out of options.
Voidrays weren't much of a problem in diamond 1v1, but voids were really ripping up terrans in the lower leagues and in team games. It seems the void nerf was aimed more at those matchups rather than 1v1 diamond.

I usually don't get 250mm for the thors. Doesn't seem like a very good ability to me: Never research the 250 mm cannon - ever.

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm 
Biggs.

quote:
Originally posted by kublikhan
quote:
Seems a bit much to me. Every change they made is practically a nerf for toss. I don't get it. Why would they make voids shit? I mean a non charged void is useless. Now a charged voids is crap.

Range change to roach rape any fast expand with cannon strat. They removed the mana bars from corrupters and thors. Only reason for that is to nerf feedback. Toss are running out of options.
Voidrays weren't much of a problem in diamond 1v1, but voids were really ripping up terrans in the lower leagues and in team games. It seems the void nerf was aimed more at those matchups rather than 1v1 diamond.

I usually don't get 250mm for the thors. Doesn't seem like a very good ability to me: Never research the 250 mm cannon - ever.

Agree with voidrays not been much of a problem in 1v1 diamond. I almost never use them, unless I`m playing late game against a terran with Planetary Fortress.
I made my peace with marauders, I still think they are a little OP, but not as much compared with PF and late game mules.

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 pm 
7VlesSiah

You guys talk as if no one else in this forum is diamond 1v1. I used them regularly and was top 5 to 10. They were a nice change up strat for toss.

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:50 pm 
kublikhan

Let me rephrase:
Even though many of us diamond players don't think voidrays needed to be beat up with the nerf bat, the 90% percent of players below us were having a much harder time dealing with void rays. IE, blizzard is trying to balance the game not just with us diamond players in mind, but with the other 90% of players playing this game as well. Voidrays might have been a good strat in diamond, but apparently they were a rapetastic strat in sub-diamond leagues. At least that is the general feel I got after reading blizzard's post and stats.

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:17 pm 
Biggs.

quote:
You guys talk as if no one else in this forum is diamond 1v1. I used them regularly and was top 5 to 10. They were a nice change up strat for toss.

That you use them regularly doesn´t mean that your opponents had problems with them, it just make them another unit. As Kub said, at lower levels they seem to be a huge problem to a vast mayority of players.
Personally, I do not like them much.

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:53 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
quote:
and prob a good idea to do this w/ corruptors. i've never ran out of energy with them and I don't think a toss has ever felt the need to use feedback against one.

are you kidding? Late game collosus + templar is so good vs corruptor

I rarely get them vs toss. I don't even remember the last time a toss player has gone air vs me beyond mid game. 99% of my games vs toss involve some heavy gateway/robo push and usually end one way or another soon after.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:35 pm 
Sypher

You get corruptors to stop Collosus.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:35 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
quote:
quote:
and prob a good idea to do this w/ corruptors. i've never ran out of energy with them and I don't think a toss has ever felt the need to use feedback against one.

I rarely get them vs toss. I don't even remember the last time a toss player has gone air vs me beyond mid game. 99% of my games vs toss involve some heavy gateway/robo push and usually end one way or another soon after.

Voidrays are really strong versus zerg. You can do a 2 gateway hard push with just mass zealots and meanwhile be collecting all that gas so that if he even does defend the rush he'll need zeals/banelings. Put a few cannons at your choke, and keep pumping zealots, and meanwhile you're making 2-3 voidrays, go in by his gas take it down and then they're fully charged.
Fully charged rays rape the shit out of 3-4 queens no problem.

I've done this strat to about 10 top 5 diamond zergs and the only time I lost was when the zerg did an all in ling/baneling--my choke was also huge so he was able to get through my mass of zealots and break in.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:
quote:
quote:

Voidrays are really strong versus zerg. You can do a 2 gateway hard push with just mass zealots and meanwhile be collecting all that gas so that if he even does defend the rush he'll need zeals/banelings. Put a few cannons at your choke, and keep pumping zealots, and meanwhile you're making 2-3 voidrays, go in by his gas take it down and then they're fully charged.

I've done this strat to about 10 top 5 diamond zergs and the only time I lost was when the zerg did an all in ling/baneling--my choke was also huge so he was able to get through my mass of zealots and break in.

No offence but you must be playing bad players, zealot only rush gets owned hard by any decent zerg, get 1 roach and mirco and u can kill endless amount of zealots. I find rays pretty useless vs zerg because most have get at least 2-3 queens with tranfuse or a hydra den.. From my exp it only works if they do a 6 pool or you somehow hurt them early game because they suck...

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:35 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Kyr.Luoson
quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:
quote:
quote:

No offence but you must be playing bad players, zealot only rush gets owned hard by any decent zerg, get 1 roach and mirco and u can kill endless amount of zealots. I find rays pretty useless vs zerg because most have get at least 2-3 queens with tranfuse or a hydra den.. From my exp it only works if they do a 6 pool or you somehow hurt them early game because they suck...

Sounds fine, and maybe they do suck. I know the one guy I beat had around 400 games played and about 250 won so I dunno.

It works best when the FE at like 14 drones or so. You hit with about 6 zealots, do whatever damage you can--focus queens and drones. Then just keep making zeals but fast tech to voids. If you bring your voids in and immediately focus on his extractor they will be super charged. Then even 3 queens can't stop you. You can focus one queen and have it killed almost instantly, even if they get 2 heals off it will die before your voidray is at half health.

I never said it was impossible to beat or anything. I've just found that it works really well. The damage you do from your 2 gate rush puts them in such a position that they either stay tier 1 and baneling/roach/zerg and try and finish, or most times they lose to voidrays.

It depends on the map, and position too of course. If they're halfway across earth then of course it doesn't work well.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

quote:
You get corruptors to stop Collosus.

I rarely do this. I don't find it's cost effective and if you lose your corruptors without taking out his collosus, you're fucked. I just go for a heavier roach composition if I see collosus coming. I'm usually speed teching to ultras in this matchup no matter what. Sometimes I'll try to get cute with infestors but this is just as risky as corruptors. As the game goes on things change but 99% of my pvz games are over in 10-15 minutes.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:01 pm 
turtleman@can

yeah 2 gate zealot rushes still work pretty well in close positions. I will usually throw up a roach den before my natural if I see this, which sometimes I'll go for a hard roach push instead of expanding if I see him throwing up a forge. I have a tougher time dealing with a 2 gate into 3-4 gate push since it doesn't give you much time to breath. As soon as I see a forge, I know that he's either pulling some gay VR or DT shit or leapfrogging into an FE. Either case gets owned by a roach push.

If I just blindly FE, I'll usually either end up having to cancel it or take it up the ass until my den is done.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:11 pm