FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Hindsight on having kids

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
turtleman@can

Hindsight on having kids

What have you learned as a father that you wish you knew before having kids?
You always hear people talking about how the first kid is an experiment, and I'm terrified of that idea and I'd like to get some feedback from fathers on what they felt they naturally did wrong or right in raising their kids.

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 pm 
terror-kahn

hindsight? I would have not had them and just kept a dog around instead. you give up an enormous amount of freedom once you have a kid.. something you wont fully understand until you have one.

if its too late for option A... then some of the regrets i have is spending too much time on the internet. time that could have been spent with my kids.

finding a better balance between discipline and affection. im not the best at affection and probably too hard on them with discipline.. that being said, my kids do behave extremely well for me and that's worth a lot to me.

having a newborn wasn't that hard i didnt think. i do well with routines, and my daughters sleeping/eating/diaper changing patterns was pretty predictable and simple for me. Feed her, burp her, spend 15-30 minutes keeping her occupied until she was ready to go to sleep for another 3-4 hours.. it was really easy for me. She only cried if she was tired, hungry, or needed to be burped as an infant... and the first couple months they sleep almost contstantly

http://www.youtube.com/ClanAbsoluteSynergy

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Kith-Kanin

Don't even touch the computer until after your kids are asleep and your wife has gone to bed.

When you come home from work, make sure you give them a good 15-20 minutes of play time because they missed you!

Read lots. We've read to both are kids since they were a month old... result is they love books.

Enjoy even the bad times because boy does time fly.

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
Don't even touch the computer until after your kids are asleep and your wife has gone to bed.

When you come home from work, make sure you give them a good 15-20 minutes of play time because they missed you!

Read lots. We've read to both are kids since they were a month old... result is they love books.

good advice, seriously. also may i suggest you teach them about the shining light of marxism-leninism

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:12 pm 
cansandham

quote:

Do you read to them everyday? or just a few times a week? My boy is 7 weeks now, but we don't read to him often.

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by cansandham
quote:

Do you read to them everyday? or just a few times a week? My boy is 7 weeks now, but we don't read to him often.

We read to them every night. Usually 1-2 books. Just putting the books in front of them makes them interested in the pictures and the textures. Once they get older they're comfortable around them and enjoy them immensely.

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

7 weeks is too young for books to help or do anything really so dont worry about it as long as you're engaging and giving any sort of attention and feedback it's just as good as b**k.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:06 pm 
Lightbringer-

quote:
7 weeks is too young for books to help or do anything really so dont worry about it as long as you're engaging and giving any sort of attention and feedback it's just as good as b**k.

Yeah I agree. I read that and I was like wtf. Reading books to kids at this age...

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:11 pm 
cansandham

Ya he can't so much right now, he loves being in someone's arm. The baby bjorn was the best purchase to date!

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:46 pm 
Thomas29

It is difficult if not impossible to say what to do and not to do right now lol.

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:28 am 
stoned@chayliss

Re: Hindsight on having kids

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
You always hear people talking about how the first kid is an experiment, and I'm terrified of that idea and I'd like to get some feedback from fathers on what they felt they naturally did wrong or right in raising their kids.

first thing. spam breast feed. dont i mean DONT introduce surgar as long as possible. once you do its over for veggies and fruit. dont let them have anything you would consider a treat. mine would rather starve than eat something other than nuggets and pizza and fruitsnacks and poptarts etc..

NO TV!!11

except maybe some baby einstien and shit along those lines. nothing with commercials. NO DISNEY CHANNEL!!!!11

i feel that shit like adventure time is better than the disney channel.

touch screens can be decent for learing games. but it can become an issue of ''no damnit not all the time''.

read to them. dont give them to many toys.

most important. DONT HAVE thEM WItHE tHE WRONG bitCH!!1

only thing ive done right is not to rule by fear and whup ass to early.

bbl

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
stoned@chayliss

aslo see kith and tk

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:13 pm 
SoCzNedoK

Re: Hindsight on having kids

quote:
Originally posted by stoned@chayliss
quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can

first thing. spam breast feed. dont i mean DONT introduce surgar as long as possible. once you do its over for veggies and fruit. dont let them have anything you would consider a treat. mine would rather starve than eat something other than nuggets and pizza and fruitsnacks and poptarts etc..

NO TV!!11

except maybe some baby einstien and shit along those lines. nothing with commercials. NO DISNEY CHANNEL!!!!11

i feel that shit like adventure time is better than the disney channel.

touch screens can be decent for learing games. but it can become an issue of ''no damnit not all the time''.

read to them. dont give them to many toys.

most important. DONT HAVE thEM WItHE tHE WRONG bitCH!!1

only thing ive done right is not to rule by fear and whup ass to early.

bbl

spot on

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
SoCxEcLiPzE

quote:
quote:

good advice, seriously. also may i suggest you teach them about the shining light of marxism-leninism

lol'd

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Thomas29

I wish I knew what the answer to 1+1 Equals which is Potato.

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 pm 
turtleman@can

Good advice, thanks bros

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 am