FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
stoned@chayliss

Star Wars: The Old Republic

I now play star wars the old republic. Guild Templar Knights..Server Iron Citadel...PVP, EST, Alliance. PvP guild and PvE progression...pre formed off of mannoroth alliance world of warcraft. ingame name is zhanzabar

Post Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Axolotl

And what do you think of it so far? I'm only level 11. It's been fun so far but I don't want to comment too much until I've played a lot more of it.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl
And what do you think of it so far? I'm only level 11. It's been fun so far but I don't want to comment too much until I've played a lot more of it.

Wtf.

Wish you'd told me you were playing this Razz

I'm level 30, darkside, on server "The Fatman".

I enjoy it, the main storyline is good, but the sidequests are kinda meh.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Axolotl

I'm a Republic on Shadowtown. It's where everyone from work is playing.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl
I'm a Republic on Shadowtown. It's where everyone from work is playing.

Awesome.

If it's something you end up sticking with I'll switch servers eventually. They may have a free server transfer for us down the road anyways, as ours is pretty full.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Allstar

im playing too tho i havent committed to a server or class really..

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:01 am 
stoned@chayliss

lol allstar stopped by to say hi

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

This game seems awesome, I know I'd love it - but I'm gonna let it slide. Too expensive for me right now when I've got like 50 360 games I haven't even touched, and Age of Conan/LOTRO that I can play for free.

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:00 pm 
turtleman@can

So what do you guys think about this game so far..
I've been hearing mixed reviews on it, but mostly positive. "Wow in space" seems to be the general concensus. I almost bought it today ... i'm having a hard time resisting...

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:53 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
So what do you guys think about this game so far..
I've been hearing mixed reviews on it, but mostly positive. "Wow in space" seems to be the general concensus. I almost bought it today ... i'm having a hard time resisting...

Like any new MMo it has a few problems at launch, but they're patching daily and fixing a lot of what the community is telling them.

The PVE is great. There's a good story and each is class specific... as in, the story goes for 50 levels, not 10-15 and then you're left to do whatever. The story spans different worlds (areas), and I'm finding it very interesting.

The side quests aren't as interesting as they're very much a rinse/repeat collect/kill type quest.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 am 
Sypher

Is PvE like WoW? Instanced dungeons and end game requires 10+ people to advance your character?

The game looks neat, but I just dont have the time to raid like I did in WoW.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
Is PvE like WoW? Instanced dungeons and end game requires 10+ people to advance your character?

The game looks neat, but I just dont have the time to raid like I did in WoW.

I'm not at end game, but from what I've experienced so far, the max group is 4. Supposedly there are both kinds at end game... raids with a party size of 8, and some larger ones as well. Generally I get the feel that this is very much a single player RPG with elements of MMORPG when you do group quests, or attack republic/imperial characters, and of course the pvp, crafting, auction house, etc.

I wouldn't be playing this if it wasn't casual gamer friendly as I bet I have even less time than you for gaming right now. Razz

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:31 pm 
foonat

because my main motivation for playing MMORPGs is competititve PvP, i bought the game and cancelled my sub like 2 days later at lvl 20 because the pvp is horrible. if you're a dragon age/mass effect-type of RPG enthusiast, you'll love this game

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:46 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
I bet I have even less time than you for gaming right now. Razz

You're an important person. With important things to do. Of course you have less time than a person like myself.

Is leveling a "grind" like original wow? Before expansions, leveling was so grueling.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 pm 
foonat

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
I bet I have even less time than you for gaming right now. Razz

You're an important person. With important things to do. Of course you have less time than a person like myself.

Is leveling a "grind" like original wow? Before expansions, leveling was so grueling.
in my limited experience, the quest lines are more engaging and your choices impact your character's development but the actual gameplay/leveling time is almost identical to wow

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:58 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:

Uptight? I'm not an important person but I do have a 2 year old, so when you get to that stage, you'll understand what I mean by having no time for yourself.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm 
Allstar

i dunno but once i got to Taris i lost interest fast. That planet is shit. i'm really bored with killing 50000000000000000 mobs to get to every quest objective. And most of the choices have no impact on your character other than light side dark side points which are more for aesthetics than anything and affect only a few slots that don't matter that much for gear.

Pvp is completely broken, it puts you in a bg with a level 50 in full expertise gear (read: resil gear like wow) except in this game, it INCREASES their dmg to players also, so they just stomp you into the ground, so there's really no point in doing warzones at all untill you are also 50, and then bash your face against already geared players untill you get your gear, just like wow.

the combat latency is horrid too, play a sith warrior and you'll understand immediately, combat animations you can't quickly cancel (ravage), and sometimes moves just dont go off because you pressed them too fast. this is a BIG problem with sith warrior/jedi knight - not so much w/ other classes.

and a shit ton of people have a flat 3 second delay in warzones ( friend of mine ) despite his pc being far superior to mine and his internet being superior to mine, doesn't seem to have anything to do with latency. two 900+ posts on the matter with no bioware response.

the game seemed really good up front, and i have hope for it, as its still early in the game. but there are some real game breaking bugs that remain still. I've quit every other mmo because they couldn't get the twitch gameplay of combat as good as wow does it; i'm worried this one will be added to the pile. Warhammer online was great pvp but had the same problem, no matter how low your latency was it felt somewhat laggish, due to poor netcode i guess.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 pm 
stoned@chayliss

im about to hit 12.....

ive read all the books, the story is alright. gameplay has improved since weekend passes on stress testing. i made my consular a sage. the healing has the same offness allstar mentioned of tanking. i usually end up healing a guy up and my last cast goes off soon as his hp shows full, just gotta remember not to cast that last cast when it ''apears'' they need 1 more heal. ive done a few of the zones with 4 in group. super easy even when the other 3 have no idea what they are doing. im sure ill get more abilities but no its not wow. wow sometimes gives me the flow of game feel that i use to get in war2. never found it(flow) in war3/sc2 myself. i also tried DC online coz its free. TOR beats DC easy. and the crap pvp sounds true, ive yet to try it but i hear the same thing from the guildies. im to fucking busy to keep up with wow and raid groups etc.. and quit when shazm raged on me and made me the scapegoat when i wasnt ready right when 4.3 came out coz i got shit on IRL at the same time.

btw i got a 85 priest with 70k gold and some decent alts and shit and some mats in the bank to make more gold. hierloom to level pretty much whatever you want. its alliance on mannoroth if anyone wnants to buy it.

holy priest underrated esp in pvp. if i wasnt a father of 3 with a craptastic ol lady id let wow suck me dry still.

good casual game if you like star wars. perhaps the gamer will be heard and propergameplay will be implimented Wink

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:10 pm 
turtleman@can

i picked it up tonight. overall it's impressive, but there's so many bugs it makes you wonder why they even did a beta test. i mean, i routinely walk into invisible walls and have to walk around an open path until i find the non-glitched part. then i've got characters shrinking to being 3 inches tall in cutscenes , like was that a joke or something.. how would you even program a bug like that. the camera pans to where they should be but you don't see them because it's too high off the ground.

anyway i'm digging it regardless of the bugs, it just pisses me off that this big 300 million dollar budget MMO has all of these obvious and glaring problems right from the start, and now i've got to pay them a monthly fee to finish making the damn game that they released too early.

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 pm 
stoned@chayliss

alot of thier wad was blown on voice Embarassed

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 pm 
stoned@chayliss

come play with me tmang? info on top

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 pm 
stoned@chayliss

its kinda fun right now. i got a holy priest with a pet and a lightsaber. wow cant match that. and i actually give a shit about the lore and story. did i mention i read liek the 100+ books Neutral

i find clearing a zone for whatver to be more fun than clearing a zone for stuff on wow.

not gonna bother with pvp till 50 from what i hear.

the couple flashpoints in groups was supper easy and short.

but from being such a bookfanboy im hoping the story doesnt fall to to total shit...coz right now its kinda generic..

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 pm 
turtleman@can

i take back what i said, this game owns on all fronts. bioware is forgiven

chay i'm on the courageous server with some co-workers. i will re-roll on your server eventually, but to be honest i don't even want to play with other human beings right now i'm too involved in the story

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 pm 
stoned@chayliss

Cool

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:38 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
... but to be honest i don't even want to play with other human beings right now i'm too involved in the story

I think this is the reason I enjoy the game. The MMO portion is there, and eventually I'll get into that, but right now I"m having too much fun with the story.

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:57 am 
stoned@chayliss

look @ kiths avatar & mt t shirt

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:54 pm