FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Siege tanks...

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Kalmah

Siege tanks...

Anybody else thinks that Siege tanks that are in siege mode are way too OP? I mean if you got around 15 siege tanks, there is no way to fight them with ground units since of their long range and high splash dmg. Making air against them would do but usually player who has got tanks has also vikings and those buddies cannot be beaten by any other air units.

Conclusion: Vikings + tanks = unbeatable

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:43 am 
Shotgun_

You're pretty much spot on, u can try mass marauder drop in their main or a thor rush + marines and scvs to rep ur thor, usually i get 1st level armour as soon as as armoury is done, then again i am a giant newb

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:27 am 
DrunkeN

what race u play kaimah? Viks + Tanks is easy to counter...unless u just sit back and let him mass.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
kublikhan

Viking + Tank is a popular strat in TvT. But it is not the only one. Consider mixing in a raven or 2 in you want to go this build. 1 PDD will block all the shots from his vikings. Therefore you will be able to take down his vikings even with a much smaller force of your own vikings. Also, try abusing seeker missile. Have your ravens pop in long enough just to fire off a missile or 2 then retreat.

Nuking is always a nice option too. If you hit him with the nuke, great. If he unsieges and runs away, that's good too. You can roll in with your own siege tanks, forcing him back.

Banshee/Viking combo is another popular option. Banshees are much faster than lumbering siege tanks and you should be able to harass easier. You only need a small number a banshees to take down his tanks, allowing you to spend more money on vikings. Once the skies are clear, send in the banshees. Or if he lacks detection, you can try ambushing the tanks with cloak.

Other than that, try and hit where his army is not. If he has turtled up with 15 siege tanks, obviously you don't want to attack something like that head on. Odds are his other bases are not as well defended. As Shotgun suggested, try doing a drop somewhere his tanks are not. Stimmed Marauders can kill buildings fast, before his tanks can even react.

Personally though, I like wiping out Terrans with a marauder rush before they can even get their 2nd tank out.

BTW, congrats on getting #1 in our division Drunken.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:41 am 
Rat

vikings range are ridiculous.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 pm 
BanMe

with speed voids can own vikings. Haven't run into this as protoss since beta.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm 
kublikhan

Yeah I usually use stimmed marines to take down voids. Sometimes with viking support, but the marines are doing the bulk of the damage.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:13 pm 
Kalmah

I have played terrans most with mix of marine/medivac/viking/thor/tank/marauder ( depending what my opponent has. My main point here is, as terran got some ridiclously op range units (viking's anti air, siege tanks siege mode and thor's anti air plus ravens and ghosts) is there any way to win them with zerg or toss? Zerg has got brood mothers which is quite awesome but i think toss are toast against all those nasty ranged attacks.

ps. void rays are overrated.

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:54 pm 
DrunkeN

Thats a lot of gas heavy units....you just sit back?

Brood Mothers?? wtf learn the units before you complain.

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Shotgun_

He's probably on a euro version, the units are called different things

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:10 pm 
Kalmah

Yeah i got EU version. Yes there are some high-gas-cost units but it doesn't matter since i keep my opponent on toes by doing marine attacks all the time while upgrading them from engineering bay. I also try to expand early so i got 4 refineries. Also remember that most of my units are marines or vikings and those don't cost much gas. Also take note that i never really use ghosts and i only make 2 or 3 ravens for detecting invisible units. So those wont cost much as i don't mass produce em.
In addition, I only build couple of marauders to provide the nasty slowing attack to catch enemies running away.

In EU version, brood mothers are flying zerg units that shoot broodlings on ground units and do short work from any ground units. However, brood mothers are expensive as hell and in deep on tech tree and therefore i don't consider em as very wise choice.

Anyhow, remember that these are my opinions only about 1v1 matches. In team games there are dozens of ways to win for sure no doubt about that.

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:34 am 
kublikhan

Do you usually play as Terran? Are you saying you are winning too easily because the zerg/toss you go up against are getting beat too easily? If that is what you are saying, there is a patch coming up that should make the Zerg more robust and better able to compete against Terran. About TvP, Blizzard seemed to be saying that it was actually protoss that were overpowered in TvP 1v1, especially in the sub-diamond leagues: 1v1 Game Balance

I actually found Blizzard's comments surprising as I usually hear many toss complain about overpowered MM or MMM.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:45 pm 
BanMe

quote:
Originally posted by kublikhan

I actually found Blizzard's comments surprising as I usually hear many toss complain about overpowered MM or MMM.

Alot of times when I beat a good terran it's only because their macro is bad and they have 1k+ mins banked due to needing more buildings with attachments, which are much more difficult to manage than warpgates (obviously) or an additional robo / stargate

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:49 pm 
Sparkz102

looking pretty bad terran - i agree with those stats too, as the higher level of gameplay i get into, the tougher i find it is to play terran, simply because of their options past tier1.

marau's ill argue are the king unit of tier 1/1.5 - however once tier 2 starts, terran have to tech up to keep up. maraus just become meat meaning u gotta get ur counter units to the inevitable immortal/colo and banelings muta.

ie, issues with stationary detection, defense[seige tanks are god awful, admit it]and the bunker concept of needing units is dumb too when turrets attack only and still have to be upgraded if not wanting to be wiped out by 3 muta or 1 voidray, so- and anti air. beyond the marine, the next unit that can attack air is the tier 2 ghosts, then 2.5 tier thor, then the tier 3 viking and last tier 4 bc. zerg and toss have tier 2 flying units, as a stargate and spire are both tier 2 along the tech tree.

i mean reapers? seriously? scout. he's doing reapers. switch up ur gameplay because its interactive game, get stalker,marau or roach, put the unit up on the cliff where the reapers will be comin and ta-da. its that easy.

ash is on the spot with this one. infact i too find sometimes its the simply the lack of units from terrans that i'll lose too and its not cuz of bad macro poor micro or wrong unit choice - zerg queens and toss chronoboost n warpgating gives a huge rebuild value, again as i said that causes terran to tech up to keep, in essence making turtling, thus causing complaning players.

zerg: no tier4 unit like the bc or carrier [and i dont say this because ultralisks r a ground unit] or 'game ending devastating unit' as the ghosts nuke or mothership in general, altho u could argue its the nydus tunneling ability.

toss: as good as chargelots are, 200/200 in the twilight is little iffy, either 200/200 in the cybercore would be nice, or 150/150 if staying in the twilight

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:19 pm 
GenOciDe-

Nuclear launch detected: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/89903-1v1-terran-scrap-station

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:24 pm 
Sparkz102

quote:
Originally posted by GenOciDe-
Nuclear launch detected: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/89903-1v1-terran-scrap-station

good chuckles

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:59 pm 
Kalmah

No I don't play terran much anymore, they are too boring =D. When i used to play i usually won with good siege microing. I massacred enemy's main army once and then they pretty much surrenedered. ofc i was in lower league also. Now i try to do some nasty tactics like fast micro production with zerg or photon cannon rush with toss Very Happy . I like see people saying fucking faggot and so on before they quit the game. Although i pretty much suck at playing toss and zerg...

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:20 am