Win7 or XP
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
turtleman@can

what do you have now??

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:38 pm 
turtleman@can

also picka:
I'm just saying DDR2 is getting phased out, which means that if you want a computer system that is going to be upgradeable in the future, you should get one supporting DDR3. This goes hand in hand with the type of socket it uses for it's processor since newer models will not support older sockets, and in turn will not support DDR2 RAM which not only makes his ram sticks useless in a newer system, but it will also be expensive to buy more later when it's out of production if he wanted to upgrade his older system.

DDR2 and DDR3 are not compatible. You can't put a DDR2 stick in a DDR3 slot. Some boards have slots for both while DDR2 is being phased out but it's not like I'm just talking about the speed difference being a factor. In fact DDR2 is actually much faster than it needs to be because of mobo transfer rates but it doesn't matter when you're trying to squeeze a triangle into a circle two years from now and saying "FUCK! I should have gotten a DDR3 board!"

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:40 pm 
Picka_materina

Thats ok. I was mainly refering to the various speeds and performances said throughout the thread, like you mentioning "fastest ddr2". That means very little, as do a lot of the other numbers cited here. Buying so he can upgrade later is ok, but unless you sit on a lot of money, should always buy low midrange.

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:38 am 
7VlesSiah

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
also picka:
I'm just saying DDR2 is getting phased out, which means that if you want a computer system that is going to be upgradeable in the future, you should get one supporting DDR3. This goes hand in hand with the type of socket it uses for it's processor since newer models will not support older sockets, and in turn will not support DDR2 RAM which not only makes his ram sticks useless in a newer system, but it will also be expensive to buy more later when it's out of production if he wanted to upgrade his older system.

DDR2 and DDR3 are not compatible. You can't put a DDR2 stick in a DDR3 slot. Some boards have slots for both while DDR2 is being phased out but it's not like I'm just talking about the speed difference being a factor. In fact DDR2 is actually much faster than it needs to be because of mobo transfer rates but it doesn't matter when you're trying to squeeze a triangle into a circle two years from now and saying "FUCK! I should have gotten a DDR3 board!"

I think you'll face more upgrade compatibility issues if you have an intel chip than with your choice of Ram. If you want to upgrade your intel CPU chances are you will need a new mobo.

If you own an AM3 mobo with DDR2 ram your computer will be upgradable for quite a while. The new 6 cores are AM3 socket chips. Some AM3 mobos use DDR2 others DDR3. Pretty insignificant if you ask me. Your Ram choice will only be a real factor if you want to get a new mobo in the future or you are doing some serious overclocking. When you actually need a new mobo chances are DDR3 will be phased out and you'll be in the same boat as the DDR2 guy.

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 am 
turtleman@can

picka: The only reason I mentioned that it only supported the slower DDR2 speed was just to point out how dated it is although I just did some more digging and I don't even think that's true for that particular model although it doesn't support DDR3. These are the specs on it:
http://ca.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=GXcdRoGS08S794qS

I do agree with you about buying the low/mid range parts. I've always done it that way myself.

messiah: I don't know if Intel chips are any worse than AMD in terms of socket lifetimes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket
this chart shows how many different socket types are out there and what processors are compatible. Both of ours are being replaced by newer models this year. Bara's uses socket F which was released in 2006 and only supports athlon 64 FX and opteron so I'm not sure what upgrading options that leaves. I can upgrade mine to an i7-870 chip down the road which is a decent improvement on what I have currently barring intel doesn't release any more chips for it.

Anyway DDR2 Came out about 8 years ago and it phased out DDR RAM pretty quickly, so I still think buying a DDR2 mobo is a bad move.

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:40 am 
7VlesSiah

That amd socket that is coming out in 2011 is for servers. Opteron is AMD's brand for server chip.

In general AMD tries to get their chips to work on broad range of hardware which is part of the reason they do so well.

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:48 pm