FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Windows XP Home Edition Question

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JiGGa_MaN

Windows XP Home Edition Question

Hey so I was trying to update a program the other day, when I tried to unzip the file, it told me it couldnt create the new file, and that the disk might be write-protected. (It was my Hard Drive).

So I went to the folder and noticed it was selected as being "Read-only". I deselected this, applied the changes, and it still wouldnt work. It seems to keep checking off the "read only" box, even after I've made the changes.

Anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Jza

Yo Jig I've seen this before.. I had a program at work that didn't want to keep it's read only box unchecked. Moved it to a new partition on the HD and it worked fine. If you don't have another partition, like a drive D: for example, try using it in a directory you make yourself. XP must keep some directories under tight control.

Make sure you uncheck read only for the programs files you are trying to update too. Good luck.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by Jza
Yo Jig I've seen this before.. I had a program at work that didn't want to keep it's read only box unchecked. Moved it to a new partition on the HD and it worked fine. If you don't have another partition, like a drive D: for example, try using it in a directory you make yourself. XP must keep some directories under tight control.

Make sure you uncheck read only for the programs files you are trying to update too. Good luck.

Thanks. yeah its really strange, because I update this program regularly and its never had this error. Suddenly a large portion of my C drive is Read-only without me changing it. Very unusual.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote