FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

anyone see the avs game last night
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Soilent Green

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/hockey/nhl/03/11/longest.suspensions/index.html

Take a look at the crime and punishment. If you ask me, Bertuzzi got off WAY easy for what he did. Nothing comes close to what he did.

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:41 am 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl
Burke (vancouver GM) does have to fight for Bertuzzi's right to play next season in front of 'whoever' (I dont know who is going to be on that 'board'). Not that anyone would ever expect him not to play next year though. Just something that does have to be done.

Yeah, and thats mostly to checkup on him. They probably want to make sure he is mentally fit, and not suffering from some aggression disorder. I dont expect him to miss any games next year over this.

To answer your question Ganz, he would need to work at McD's because while hockey players earn big, they also spend big. Secluded palatial estates are pretty expensive, as are body guards, and all the other little perks of life I'm sure he divulges. Keeping in mind that he probably expected a 20 year career, he may not have been financially prepared for a work stop. Added to the fact that he will more then likely be sued in a civil suit, and forced to pay millions to Moore.

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
MulletFU

quote:
Originally posted by JiGGa_MaN
quote:
Burke (vancouver GM) does have to fight for Bertuzzi's right to play next season in front of 'whoever' (I dont know who is going to be on that 'board'). Not that anyone would ever expect him not to play next year though. Just something that does have to be done.

Yeah, and thats mostly to checkup on him. They probably want to make sure he is mentally fit, and not suffering from some aggression disorder. I dont expect him to miss any games next year over this.

To answer your question Ganz, he would need to work at McD's because while hockey players earn big, they also spend big. Secluded palatial estates are pretty expensive, as are body guards, and all the other little perks of life I'm sure he divulges. Keeping in mind that he probably expected a 20 year career, he may not have been financially prepared for a work stop. Added to the fact that he will more then likely be sued in a civil suit, and forced to pay millions to Moore.

I would think that there is some kind of insurance in the NHL that will cover him. Not sure though.

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:26 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by MulletFU
quote:
quote:

I would think that there is some kind of insurance in the NHL that will cover him. Not sure though.

There is insurance for players who get injured, that basically pays the players contract for the length of the injury. That means the avalanche wont have to pay Moore his salary for the rest of the year, but on top of that, Moore can sue Bertuzzi for damages, he can claim that his performance the rest of the year may have earned him a new, higher contract with the team, and that the injury prevented that.

Bertuzzi finds himself in a VERY actionable position.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
MulletFU

I just read an aticle in the paper with various interviews of legal experts. You are right in everything you posted, as he can be sued, and that the NHL will cover his contract, and there is also a disability fund. Basically what the article says is that Moore will most likely lose the suit if he plans on sueing him. It gives various examples of other cases where players have been severely injured and even in one case died. All of the cases were ruled in favor of the defendant. Maybe there are other cases that they arent bringing up, I am just stating what I read. Here is one several quotes from the NHL's chief legal officer.

"Most people understand when they're participating in the game that injuries occur and that by stepping on the ice they're almost agreeing to accept any risk of injury, not just necessarily within the rules but within the context of the game." Bill Daly, the NHL's cheif legal officer.

Althought he doesn't rule out a lawsuit and doesn't say that Moore will not win. He thinks it isnt in Moore's best interest. There is more quotes from Daly and several others. Just not in the mood to type it out.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:08 pm 
cooldip

quote:
It gives various examples of other cases where players have been severely injured and even in one case died. All of the cases were ruled in favor of the defendant.

I just read an article today mentioning this too, it didn't say the outcome of the case with the guy that got kneed and died (same one?). Are you sure they lost that one? If they did lose thats fucked up...Athough i think that guy got manslaughter still...

quote:

"Most people understand when they're participating in the game that injuries occur and that by stepping on the ice they're almost agreeing to accept any risk of injury, not just necessarily within the rules but within the context of the game." Bill Daly, the NHL's cheif legal officer.

Makes sense but i'm sure he's covering thier ass too...

quote:

Althought he doesn't rule out a lawsuit and doesn't say that Moore will not win. He thinks it isnt in Moore's best interest. There is more quotes from Daly and several others. Just not in the mood to type it out.

Ya, he won't sue, Bertuzzi got his already and he might even pull through the injury and skate again....

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:23 pm 
MulletFU

Ya it was the guy did get kneed and died. I thought it mentioned that the judge ruled in the soccor players favor that kneed him. Could be wrong. Where are you from cooldip?

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:05 pm 
cooldip

quote:
Ya it was the guy did get kneed and died. I thought it mentioned that the judge ruled in the soccor players favor that kneed him. Could be wrong. Where are you from cooldip?

I go to Queen's up the street from Killa, originally from Calgary...
I'm guessing your in vancouver?

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:58 pm 
MulletFU

Originally from Kamloops BC if ya know where that is. I live in Calgary right now.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:36 pm 
cooldip

quote:
Originally from Kamloops BC if ya know where that is. I live in Calgary right now.

I'm jealous, i wish i was there right now, I won't be done until the 20th of april so if i want to see a playoff game (probably hard to get tickets anyways), they'll have to make at least the second round

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:57 pm 
MulletFU

The way they are playing now, it doesnt seem so far fetched. You should see the hockey pool I am in. Its the Calgary Sun and Edmonton Sun putting it on. 20 bux per entry. I dunno how many people are in it, probably atleast 10,000. First place is 20,000, 2nd 10,000 third, 5,000 4th, 2,500 and 5th is 1,000. Right now my team is in 1st with a pretty nice lead. I would say top 3 forsure just going by player vs player against the other teams.

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:23 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

2 words for both of you:

Lanny MacDonald

gg'd NHL.

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:24 pm 
cooldip

quote:
The way they are playing now, it doesnt seem so far fetched. You should see the hockey pool I am in. Its the Calgary Sun and Edmonton Sun putting it on. 20 bux per entry. I dunno how many people are in it, probably atleast 10,000. First place is 20,000, 2nd 10,000 third, 5,000 4th, 2,500 and 5th is 1,000. Right now my team is in 1st with a pretty nice lead. I would say top 3 forsure just going by player vs player against the other teams.

You're in 1st outta 10k people??...cool

Speaking of sporting leagues, the one that all of my friends are in on sportingnews.com I made a bet with one of the guys that if I made an all flames team and he made an all leafs team, that I would finish on top.

Right now his leafs are dead last out of 15 or so people and my flames are in 6th...

gg again leafs

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:05 am 
cooldip

quote:
2 words for both of you:

Lanny MacDonald

gg'd NHL.

Yes, i'll give you the three key rules to living in Calgary.

1. Worship Lanny MacDonald

2. Idolize Bret Hart

3. Wash, Rinse and Repeat

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:50 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by cooldip
quote:
2 words for both of you:

Lanny MacDonald

gg'd NHL.

Yes, i'll give you the three key rules to living in Calgary.

1. Worship Lanny MacDonald

2. Idolize Bret Hart

3. Wash, Rinse and Repeat

Sweet, I'm practically a Calgarean. Great city though, especially the easy and convienient and cheap monorail.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:51 pm