No
55%
 55%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
GaNz

quote:
Originally posted by terror-kahn
so how long before this new forum is up? any idea?

see #4 in iL's post

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:51 am 
test

quote:
Originally posted by mousEtopher
For God's sake man, it's a forum not rocket science. There's a working bridge for WP and SMF that I've tested on war2.me, set up the forum.war2.ru domain and I'll get it installed. Talk about attracting new players, a non-broken forum would do wonders for our credibility.

There is hope for you yet mousey! Well said! I almost puked at all the bullshit iL just tried to spill about how hard it is and his uninformed analysis of phpbb was horrendous. Its 50x simpler than he wants to make it sound and im glad you were able to see through all the crap Smile

Its even possible to pull all the users and data from this forum WITHOUT db backend access to it but he is to stupid to realize that. Sometimes he just does wonders at reminding me how toxic he is when it comes to innovation with anything let alone war2.

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:17 am 
~iL

Lance, if you so smart, why people don't like you?

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:52 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by ~iL
Well, about the forum.

I wrote here: http://war2.warcraft.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460

quote:
I don't think some kind of oldschool forums can help anymore.

I think i was not quite right. We need the alive forum of course.

But i see several questions here:
0. Looks like Axo will not give us his project, so we have to do it ourselves bypassing him. That's bad.

1. Of course, the forum have to be attached to the main domain. I'd prefer forum.war2.ru name.

2. I'm not sure what engine to select. I don't want to use WordPress'es engine because WP is too heavy.
At the same time we need to have single auth for both site and forum. At least to make it possible for future.

Forum should be as easy and fast as possible.
IPB requires payment.
phpBB is cool, but was vulnerable always.
phpBB 2 is old, phpBB 3 is uncooked. It was when i checked that years ago.

But i'd still prefer phpBB2 as the most popular. I hope there would not be problems to make auth with common auth with WP.
But i'm not sure to start.

Maybe anyone have any real experience or can make detailed review on forum engines under the real load?

3. What we need then is to make mostly transparent migration from this forum to the new one.
This is the most difficult question.
This forum is highly promoted resource, we have to get everything we can from it.

There's lots of people who know this forum and will return here. They all should be redirected to the new one. How to do that?
I don't like to split the community when the old forum will attract old visitors for years and the new forum will be one more emtpy forum.

So, need to think everything carefully before begin.
I suppose any kind of bot for parsing the old forum or autopost something to it...

4. We have a magic date in the beginning of December: war2 date of birth. Let's start the new forum to that date.

I just want to dispel a couple things: I think Axo would give up this forum, but he just doesn't have time.

He was promoted about 6-8 months ago to a Director and he has been doing the job of about 3 people since. Prior to that he was a Manager doing the job of about 4 people. When he gets home, he's playing hockey almost every night, or networking with friends.

This forum is probably the lowest thing on his mind. Like an orphaned child or something.

In the end it's still the effecting you all the same, but he did genuinely care about this game, then life took over.

I think if you can move the action to a new forum and hyper-link to them for people that come here it would be ok. He's long since recognized his involvement in this game is done.

As for not giving out admin properties, it really has to do with trust. Being an admin gives people access to a lot of sensitive information and the wrong person can take advantage of that. I think you just never broke into that circle of trust Blid.

Ciao.

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
smurf_king

yes make blid admin on that forum too so he can sticky my threads all over the place like a retard Razz

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:38 am 
smurf_king

btw new forums good

all those kiths concerns are surreal.

ip is good, people will post where they are told (and can sign up)
just post the ip on the main site and on the server channel,

we re not bypassing shit, guy visits once every 6 months, axo would understand or imagine this would happen.
if anything he bypassed the community Razz lol

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:48 am 
terror-kahn

if there is not a new functioning forum up that everyone in the community can participate in by december, im going to start advertising the forum i set up to the rest of the community so everyone will have an opportunity to participate and be involved if they want.

http://www.youtube.com/ClanAbsoluteSynergy

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
terror-kahn

also i have no fucking clue what point kith is trying to make... nobody is mad at axo and i think we all understand his real live has taken priorities ... that doesnt change the fact that we're left with a forum that nobody can register on and he didnt pass the reigns over to anyone before he left

Last edited by terror-kahn on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
smurf_king

quote:
Originally posted by GaNz
only problem is old players coming back to this forum will think the game is dead

make a sticky (a useful for once) saying we moved. voila. ppl do that all the time.

wtf.

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:51 am 
Axolotl

I actually vote yes Razz.

The issue is I don't have acces on the server where this is hosted, so I can't update the phpbb to a version that can handle the bots. Currently, the server times out when trying to update, but I can't get on the server to change the settings that I need to change in order to get it to be successful.

If someone wants to host the forum, I actually don't mind getting a sql dump so someone else can attempt to save the history of it and all the user accounts. I could then just point war2.warcraft.org/forum at it or iframe it.

In the meantime, I'll send an email out to the admin and see if he has time to attempt the phpbb upgrade for me, since I'm blocked on it --- but I have not had much luck in the past.

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
test

An sql dump would make alot of things possible in the right hands. But it would never happen so why bother mentioning it. Put it up so someone can actually make use of it. Simply dont include the pw/email fields and dispell any "security" concerns.

"Make it so"

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:13 pm 
~iL

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl

The issue is I don't have acces on the server where this is hosted, so I can't update the phpbb to a version that can handle the bots. Currently, the server times out when trying to update, but I can't get on the server to change the settings that I need to change in order to get it to be successful.

If someone wants to host the forum, I actually don't mind getting a sql dump so someone else can attempt to save the history of it and all the user accounts. I could then just point war2.warcraft.org/forum at it or iframe it.

In the meantime, I'll send an email out to the admin and see if he has time to attempt the phpbb upgrade for me, since I'm blocked on it --- but I have not had much luck in the past.

Wow, that would be great to get the dump and point to the new place especially!

When will you have enough time to do it? Maybe you can do it right now?
We have plans to make some updates and start the updated 100% working forum to December. We need to test it on the new place with real data and maybe to select optimal hosting to keep the forum working fast and stable. So would be great to get it as fast as possible!

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:15 pm 
Tupac

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl

Thanks and good luck!!! Smile

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 pm 
Lightbringer-

I still can't believe Axo can't find someone trustworthy ( to his standards) to give some admin. But if we can get some sort of dump, moving threads etc, would be nice.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:41 am 
Winchester

Give it to Kith Razz he might not be on as much but he comes on here and there

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:08 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Winchester

I've had admin since day 1. I' just not really interested in doing it anymore.

I also voted yes.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Winchester

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:

I also voted yes.

Ah, my bad, I knew you were an admin but I thought you couldn't approve accounts. Because do you remember that one time where I pmed you asking to approve someone for the forums and you wern't able and told me I had to get a hold of Axolotl. You had to adjust the forum settings to user activation and then he was able to do it himself and then you switched the settings back to normal I think which is the approval method.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:42 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:

I also voted yes.

Ah, my bad, I knew you were an admin but I thought you couldn't approve accounts. Because do you remember that one time where I pmed you asking to approve someone for the forums and you wern't able and told me I had to get a hold of Axolotl. You had to adjust the forum settings to user activation and then he was able to do it himself and then you switched the settings back to normal I think which is the approval method.

The reason I can't approve accounts anymore is because my email was getting spammed about 4-5 years ago from all of the bots, so I blocked all emails from warcraft.org. Now I don't see them anymore and can't approve the accounts.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:41 pm 
~iL

Axolotl, Kith-Kanin, check your pm and mail, please.

Just to realize for me, what to do with the forum and it's data.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:50 am 
Fast Luck

One thing im not sure I get, Axo you think it makes more sense to direct all the traffic off here to a new board and to transfer the sql tables and all that, rather than just appointing someone else with a security level to approve new accounts?

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:26 pm 
terror-kahn

this forum costs $$ im sure (even if not a lot) ... maybe axo has moved on in his life and has no desire to keep funding our forum?

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:41 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
One thing im not sure I get, Axo you think it makes more sense to direct all the traffic off here to a new board and to transfer the sql tables and all that, rather than just appointing someone else with a security level to approve new accounts?

Yes because he can't get this forum upgraded. He's tried but doesn't get any response so may as well move to a newer forum and redirect.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:56 pm 
Fast Luck

Yeah I know this forum isn't upgraded and is old but it still does the job quite well, the only problem is people not getting accounts approved

quote:
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:42 am 
Paper_Boy

Everyone trusts Ywfn, isn't he considered the Y0da of war2??
Wisest and Oldest

Swift is clearly a Sith L0rd

Post Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote