FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

Path of Exile

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SarX

Path of Exile

Anyone seen this? It's free. Very similar to Diablo but has a massive skill tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zsakMbLXmQ

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:59 pm 
smurf_king

yeah i made a thread around 8 months ago about it

played it hardcore for like 3 months or so

and thats precisely my problem with it

i got hooked up with it

just as any other MMO, (yes i know its not an MMO but its the same effect)

you find yourself hooked more and more the more you play it it drains your real life.

or for me anyway..
Game never ends

MEH
Dont have time for those type of online games Razz

I play, on my free time... Mount and Blade Warband multiplayer free for all.
and C&C Zero Hour and war2 ( if server isnt lagging or down Razz)

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:12 pm 
Aerasal

looks boring. i wish rpg developers would try to evolve the genre past clicking on an enemy until they die. skill tree looks pointless when you use 1 spell 99% of the time too.

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:06 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
looks boring. i wish rpg developers would try to evolve the genre past clicking on an enemy until they die. skill tree looks pointless when you use 1 spell 99% of the time too.

i think about playing these games for a second when i see the skill trees and think about how cool it would be to level up and build my character and then i realize actually using those skills is just going to amount to click-a-thons on monsters
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 pm 
SarX

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal

i think about playing these games for a second when i see the skill trees and think about how cool it would be to level up and build my character and then i realize actually using those skills is just going to amount to click-a-thons on monsters

Yes, sadly this is the truth of it. But still, the skill tree pulls at you. Anyway I installed Icewind Dale 2 and Arcanum for the first time. Have you played them Will?

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:55 pm 
Lightbringer-

Its great. The successor of what D3 might have looked like. I stopped playing due to lack of time to invest in it. Still have it on my HDD though.

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:30 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

IWD 2 is really fun if you like the combat in infinity engine (baldur's gate, planescape, iwd1) games, if you don't like that type of combat you probably wont care for it too much though because it totally revolves around dungeon crawling. i liked it but haven't played in years. its the best looking of the infinity engine games, and it uses d&d 3E (maybe 3.5?) instead of the 2E stuff from baldur's gate, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective

i've been trying to play arcanum off and on for a few years now but never quite get through it. i'm not going to say its bad, its definitely worth a look if you like fallout, planescape, etc. setting, narrative, writing, role-play feel (good quests, multiple solutions to quests, open world) are all extremely strong. the main drawback to the game is the combat sucks (think fallout but way worse) and the character creation/development, while really cool with a ton of options, is really unbalanced where some skills/builds are absolutely useless and others make the game retard easy. the graphics are also a bit dated these days. if you like that late 90's-early 2000's era of pc rpg's though its definitely worth a try, some people absolutely love it

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:21 am 
SarX

I'm finding I like IWD2 much more than arcanum.. while the overall feel of Arcanum reminds me of Fallout 1/2 you're absolutely right about the combat. After failing to whack a rat to death after 200 swings of my staff I gave up for the day. The steam punk atmosphere is intriguing though.I am a fan of IWD1 and of course BG2. I'd trade them all for a good successor to BG2 though because I spent countless hours on it and love it as much as a game can be loved.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:00 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

since the combat sucks most people say the best way to play arcanum is to play a character who trivializes the combat, and the consensus seems to be that kind of character is either a mage who spams the harm spell or a bruiser fighter type with a sword. tech characters can be fun and strong, but take a lot longer and a lot more trouble to do well with. you also want to use the turn based combat because the real time is even worse. even with that though yeah, the combat sucks and i liked IWD2 more too probably, even though i prefer RPG's like arcanum that have a wide range of quests and quest solutions over straight dungeon crawling. but the combat in arcanum is just so bad :\ its a shame because so much of the other stuff is done so well

my current play through (that i started like a year and a half ago probably) is a rougeish dude who backstabs, steals, picks locks and talks smooth but otherwise lets companions handle combat. its not that bad, but, the fact that i'm the biggest fallout 1/2 fanboy ever, and that i've had this game going for that long and am not even 1/4 of the way through the game, should tell you something, heh

quote:

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:02 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by SarX
I'd trade them all for a good successor to BG2 though because I spent countless hours on it and love it as much as a game can be loved.

https://eternity.obsidian.net/game Gonna be epic.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:07 pm 
SarX

Hah I made a half elf mage as my first character but chose the wrong spells I guess. I laughed my ass off when you try to help the doctor in the first town stop the bank robbery.. he told me to meet him outside the bank and I thought the inn he was standing in front of was the bank, so I proceed to run into it and he thinks I'm deserting him and shoots me dead. I downloaded Sytem Shock 2 a few days ago, played that?

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:08 pm 
SarX

Steam offers alot of indie type games and I've downloaded a few 8 and 16 bit games that are throwbacks to 1996, except they offer better writing and game progression.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:10 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

system shock 2 is a classic, i never beat it though for some reason

there's a lot of "indie" stuff on steam that is good but a lot of trash too. if you like the feel of "old school" type games i would recommend spelunky, its very cheap and one of the best platformers ever made

and check out the pillars of eternity link and look up the gameplay trailer on youtube. its made by former black isle people and looks like its going to be the best pc rpg in years

quote:

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:22 pm 
SarX

whoa..pillars of eternity just blew my mind. The trailer just says release is in 2014?

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:46 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

yep supposed to come out this year

quote:

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:25 pm 
SarX

While I was looking in Steam I found this - Can't wait on it either Smile

Wasteland 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d15eO1vyOc

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:50 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

the concepts and stuff sound good but i've heard the early access version on steam sucks balls. it is just early access though so hopefully it'll be dece by the time the final game's done

never pay for early access stuff, its the biggest scam ever

quote:

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:29 pm 
SarX

Yeah I read the reviews about the peeps who paid for the early access. Doesn't that help fund the game though for kickstarter games?

I just don't think I would spoil the experience by paying for a half working version...

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah but you can also just donate them like $20 or something and that gets you the full game when its released, i think early access is like 60 bucks or something

quote:

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:28 pm