foonat

its funny how bad i am. im stuck in platinum like a boss

Post Sun May 13, 2012 10:55 am 
eS[MaGe]

quote:
Originally posted by Picka_materina
quote:
Originally posted by eS[MaGe]
Hehe I've actually played Minigun and INcontrol in ladder. You'd be surprised INcontrol isn't actually as bad as he appears, just most people he plays against are that good! But yea you're right they aren't that good compared to most pros.. The reason I named them is it's easier to perform their plays styles and strategies, because no one is going to be dropping FF's like MC Wink

Well your mmr is quite high if you got GM's on ladder.
Yea i have nothing against incontrol, he's just funny. But i don't think he's GM level really, eventho he always gets it. I think it's mostly based on old fame, since i've noticed people that have been in GM from season 1 get in GM way easier (a GM friend has 2 accounts on one gets into GM in 30ish games whenever he starts playing since that was a GM account from easons 1, on other he just started playing now, and has well over 500games and is not GM Smile ).

I might of been GM maybe a season or two ago but I haven't been able to be as active lately. The whole GM format is quite silly though, and needs to be completely revamped. I agree, people that have been GM since season 1 are able to get back in a little too easily. Played a rusty StrifeCro 3 times yesterday and only 1 game was even close, he destroyed me the other two games. Crying or Very sad The difference in skill between Mid - High Masters to GM level is so vast. The early and mid game tend to play out as usual but it's when you get into the late game and you feel the macro of your opponent start to overwhelm you!

Post Sun May 13, 2012 11:38 am 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
its funny how bad i am. im stuck in platinum like a boss

You'll move out of there in no time if you spend even 20 games a week on it, i'm sure.
quote:
Originally posted by eS[MaGe]
The difference in skill between Mid - High Masters to GM level is so vast. The early and mid game tend to play out as usual but it's when you get into the late game and you feel the macro of your opponent start to overwhelm you!

Yea. If anyone asked me, mid master is achievable by anyone with any kind of decent mechanic (so anyone that played war2 and was decent).
Then there's high master/GM which is a huge gap between mid master.
And then there's proplayers which is even a higher skill gap, i'd put it at a gap of master vs bronze.

Post Sun May 13, 2012 12:42 pm 
foonat

i basically lose any long game vs all races, and i lose most of the time vs terran. i think my macro is just pure shit

Post Sun May 13, 2012 12:44 pm 
$paCe

On sc2, the longer the game goes, the easier it is to beat anyone. Most people on that game are total cook booking noobs who will never have a good understanding of adapting their strategy. I'd say a good 80% of them just do what they've seen other people do, and since they have moderate success with various strategies, they just keep repeating the same ones that have worked for them before. You really have to incorporate your ctrl groups when you play. Learn to get your finger dexterity up so that you can consistently and quickly throw your hatchery/nexus/CC on number 5, so that you'll have 4 ctrl groups for various unit types. Some people are lazy asses and they put their nexus on ctrl group 3 or something like that, then have two main control groups for their units, which in my mind is not nearly enough for good micro. Then you have people who just throw everything into 1 ctrl group, which is pure garbage play. The only difference between war2 and sc2 is taking advantage of your ctrl groups, queuing, rallying. The micro is pretty similar with chokes and coming in at better angles etc, and the macro is made way easier for your convenience. Everything on the game is handed to you on a silver platter, so I can't see why anyone would have a difficult time with the game if they were a pro on war2. The real only challenge that you should face is learning sc2 specific tactics like what beats what, or whatever. Once you know all the units and their strengths and weaknesses, then it's simply a matter of countering what your opponent is doing, and either hitting him early if he's playing greedy, or forcing him to outspend you while you play defensive, making only enough to to counter what he's throwing at you. Play protoss if you want a race that's most similar to war2, that's what I do.

Post Sun May 13, 2012 1:31 pm 
foonat

yeah the "what beats what" is what gets me on there, i think my army compositions are always suboptimal

Post Sun May 13, 2012 1:42 pm 
turtleman@can

I barely use control groups and I'm mid - master. I use 4 on my hatch but beyond that I use them sometimes but I find them annoying and tedious to continuously set. My APM is like 60-80 but my opponents' is usually around 120. I'd probably do a lot better if I got accustomed to them but after hard-wiring my brain to not using them in war2 for 15 years it's hard to adjust

Post Sun May 13, 2012 4:49 pm 
foonat

ive been doing 5 for nexus, 4 for gates, 1-3 for army

Post Sun May 13, 2012 5:12 pm 
foonat

also half the time i feel like i get cheesed by invisible shit, fuck my life

Post Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 pm 
foonat

quote:

edit: and regular cheese too, ffgsafgsdfg

Post Sun May 13, 2012 6:09 pm 
foonat

also it might be just because im horrible, but i hate colossi. they always get globaled

Post Sun May 13, 2012 6:31 pm 
$paCe

quote:

That's how I set it too. I put all production facilities in 4 and tab through them as necessary. It's the best way unless you are some kind of sc1 god that uses 1 through 0 as ctrl groups, but that would take such a long time to master.

Post Sun May 13, 2012 7:18 pm 
eS[MaGe]

I use F1-F4 to save screen locations which pretty much prevent me from having to mouse scroll to areas which saves a ton of time. F1 tends to be focused on my main base/ramp F2 is my natural, F3 are areas such as watch towers or where armies will eventually clash over. F4 is normally a drop location because I typically dont ctrl group the loaded medivac. It is pretty hard to get used to it and takes time but it's worth it if you are protoss or terran imo.

1.) Typically is my MMM. Prior to an engagement I deselect all the medivacs out of the control group and set them to move command with my army so that when I stutter step my marines and marauders the medivacs will actually heal them instead of stutter with my army.

2.) I use this group to control my ghosts. When controlling ghosts you have to be quite meticulous with them in order to gain maximum effectiveness. Cloaking and shift queing a carpet EMP over a protoss army for example is achieved easier if you hold fire first otherwise ghosts will use a normal attack before EMPing.

3.) This group is used for Vikings or Tanks depending on the MU. In TVP it's important to have your vikings flank from an angel with the fewest amount of stalkers to kill colossi with minimal losses. In TVZ you should be target firing with your tanks to kill units like banelings before they reach your marines.

4.) All of my command centers, orbitals, and planetary fortresses are bound here.

5.) Barracks

6.) Factory / Starport

7.) Engineering bays / Armory

Post Sun May 13, 2012 9:40 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by $paCe
ctrl groups

Don't listen to this guy rofl@ctrl groups Smile
quote:

I'd say thats more then enough. Add in at least F1-F2 and you're high master. Why use 4 for gates when you have W? I'm 5 for nexuses, 1 main army, 2 casters/blinkers. 0 forges or obs. But i change them as the game goes and i change my composition, since i have 2 on robo sometime and 3 on stargates. When casters get in i just shift those to 3 and 4.
quote:

Yea, protos has the worst detection out there, it's why in general, safest build vs almost anything is 2gate robo. But usually you can predict what they're doing with scout so this is not an issue for me anymore. I do hate it when i'm forced to play certain strat since its the only thing i can counter whats coming. This changes a little when you go higher up since more games are macro oriented.

Mages example for T is really good.

Post Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 am 
foonat

what do you mean "i have w"?

Post Mon May 14, 2012 10:26 am 
DrunkeN

quote:
what do you mean "i have w"?

"w" is the hotkey to select a warp gate that has cool downed and you can warp in units. You see it pop-up by your idle workers icon.

Post Mon May 14, 2012 10:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
foonat

haha thanks that is good to know, didn't even know that

Post Mon May 14, 2012 10:46 am 
foonat

im 11-1 in my last 12 games. when do i get moved up? im top 8 platinum in my division

Post Mon May 14, 2012 11:42 am 
kublikhan

What kind of players are you getting matched with? Once your MMR(matchmaking rating) raises to the point where you are consistently getting matched again diamond players, then I would expect a promotion soon.

On the other hand if you are mostly just beating on gold or platinum players I would not be expecting a promotion anytime soon.

Post Mon May 14, 2012 2:40 pm 
foonat

yeah my case is the latter

Post Mon May 14, 2012 2:49 pm