FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

lacking community

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
baRa

lacking community

the game is fun but only once in awhile do you meet someone in a game and say "gg lets pard" and you play a few.
even war3 had the clans feature which caused people and teams to play together. the close community in war2 is what i think is lacking in sc2
might be because so many people play etc.. thoughts?

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Aerasal

big reason is the shitty chat room interface. they were only recently added if you weren't aware. i much prefer the original war2/war3 bnet interface.

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:35 pm 
Picka_materina

Reason is lack of teamplay

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:02 am 
loneknight

If you hadnt already noticed internet nowdays is about isolation...

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:41 pm 
turtleman@can

I think the chat rooms are fine - they just came too late. I used to chat in a few pretty active ones, they just came way too late. most of my friends had already stopped playing by the time they released them.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:15 pm 
baRa

I think the whole random teamplay that war3 and sc2 have is a problem as well.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

idk I've never played a single random team game - but I think it's less that and more that it's not a great team game.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
I think the chat rooms are fine - they just came too late. I used to chat in a few pretty active ones, they just came way too late. most of my friends had already stopped playing by the time they released them.

i disagree. you have to go out of your way to join them and then they are only popup windows that can you minimize. definitely doesn't feel like you're in a virtual room full of people like older bnet. extremely ignorant change imo, they should have left the bnet interface exactly the same as war3.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:26 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
quote:

i disagree. you have to go out of your way to join them and then they are only popup windows that can you minimize. definitely doesn't feel like you're in a virtual room full of people like older bnet. extremely ignorant change imo, they should have left the bnet interface exactly the same as war3.

Agree ^ they are horrible

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:37 pm 
turtleman@can

idk I think the chat is overall much better in how it's incorporated into the game. You can chat while in games, and tab through different chat rooms.

I do think that they could use a full screen chat mode though but to me that's just a minor thing.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:52 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
idk I think the chat is overall much better in how it's incorporated into the game. You can chat while in games, and tab through different chat rooms.

I do think that they could use a full screen chat mode though but to me that's just a minor thing.

If you have time to use a chat room during a game then you need to pick up your apm alittle bit lol.. Ok for novelty but quite useless in reality

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:56 pm 
Rat

the biggest issue havent been mention yet so here goes:

The different region versions sux.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:24 am 
kublikhan

quote:
Originally posted by Rat
the biggest issue havent been mention yet so here goes:

The different region versions sux.

^^
This. Everyone is split up on different servers. The pool of war2 players playing sc2 is small enough as it is. Now they are split up into different servers as well? Bleh.

Not to mention some of the best players are not even playing in the NA region.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:59 am 
turtleman@can

I can understand why they separate the servers for latency issues. I don't want some Korean matching up against me with horrible latency just because. I'm not afraid of the competition but laggy games are unbearable.

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:09 pm 
BanMe

I feel like this is a problem with most modern games. Something I'd like to try and help resurrect from the true "social games" of yore. Any ideas on how to help foster what made the war2 community so great in the context of SC2 or Call of Duty systems... let's hear em! Smile

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:46 pm 
baRa

Maybe have a channel where war2 players actually hang out and play. I know there is channel "war2" but really only sparkz and mage are in there all of the time. Thats one idea. Then again the regions will get in the way of the channel really getting off

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:58 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe
I feel like this is a problem with most modern games. Something I'd like to try and help resurrect from the true "social games" of yore. Any ideas on how to help foster what made the war2 community so great in the context of SC2 or Call of Duty systems... let's hear em! Smile

I think the solution is making regional zones. It's like schools, you get a mixed bag of kids at each school and everybody is forced to go. It makes everybody better for it. So basically cut up the population of players into 'war2 communities' with a mixed bag of players. the 5% of the elite players can still compete with each other but the 95% of players that don't give a shit will have familiar faces to look forward to playing with every time they log on.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:44 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
quote:

I think the solution is making regional zones. It's like schools, you get a mixed bag of kids at each school and everybody is forced to go. It makes everybody better for it. So basically cut up the population of players into 'war2 communities' with a mixed bag of players. the 5% of the elite players can still compete with each other but the 95% of players that don't give a shit will have familiar faces to look forward to playing with every time they log on.

I don't think this is the way to go at all.

I think of the people I still chat with online that played war2 and not a single one of them lives anywhere near me. In fact, the one guy that does (Shazm), I've never even bothered to talk with, let alone meet and he lives in the same city as me.
Yet there's other folks who if I was in the vicinity I'd totally go have a coffee/beer with. Regions don't make a difference. Creating a community is what makes a difference. The only way to create a community is to have some sense of belonging to something. How you could do that in this day and age is beyond me, but I don't think regions is necessarily the answer.

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Paper_Boy

What about giving people a choice to play with in their region or Internationally, then having like a Facebook type thing, where you can have your main character or clan page and you have different classifications, a list of players as friends, allies and , ARCH NEMESSIS! When they are on line, you can interact with them in your chat interface and set some things up. Then on your enemy list, if it kept track of records win percentage , streak whatever. Sounds kind of cool, an automated mini ladder and chat interface..
I Play with Jitter all the time, doesn't really lag from Taiwain

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Paper_Boy
What about giving people a choice to play with in their region or Internationally, then having like a Facebook type thing, where you can have your main character or clan page and you have different classifications, a list of players as friends, allies and , ARCH NEMESSIS! When they are on line, you can interact with them in your chat interface and set some things up. Then on your enemy list, if it kept track of records win percentage , streak whatever. Sounds kind of cool, an automated mini ladder and chat interface..
I Play with Jitter all the time, doesn't really lag from Taiwain

People don't want their online persona to be related to their real life, but tbh I think that's how you need to go to build a community--otherwise you end up with a bunch of high strung people screaming and yelling profanities at each other all the time. Once you can recognize there's a person behind the screen, people tend to not be douchebags as much.

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Paper_Boy

This is true, You could morph like an avatar. I don't really mean delve into disclosing personal stuff, but personality seems to come across the more you interact with people. Lol i'm always dumbfounded how i can create a new account and people can tell its me smurfing just by my personality. Or how i Can tell certain players by their builds or temperments lol

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:
quote:

I don't think this is the way to go at all.

I think of the people I still chat with online that played war2 and not a single one of them lives anywhere near me. In fact, the one guy that does (Shazm), I've never even bothered to talk with, let alone meet and he lives in the same city as me.
Yet there's other folks who if I was in the vicinity I'd totally go have a coffee/beer with. Regions don't make a difference. Creating a community is what makes a difference. The only way to create a community is to have some sense of belonging to something. How you could do that in this day and age is beyond me, but I don't think regions is necessarily the answer.

well the local areas is more about logistics - less latency and same time zone. although it also adds the whole offline community aspect as well.

Think about how many beers you would have gone out for if every single war2 player was from your city?

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:49 pm 
passwillworkeasycompany

i can see why sc2 didnt have the chat.
noone ever used public chat much in war3,sc1 from my experience

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 am 
GaNzTheLegend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOkywsDvL2w

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 pm 
Thomas29

Everything in this thread just all sounds confusing TBH lol.

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:09 am