FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Strategy & Tactics

hall position at 2, GOW

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
AgainstTheGrain

hall position at 2, GOW

I have always wondered about hall position at 2, classic gow, of course. 2 hall positions seem to me more or less “logical”: one is the usual position, below the mine & the other one is to the left of the mine, on the hall – sized land spot. Is mining speed different 4 these 2 spots? Once I was fucking around & made halls at both positions there & peons were walking to the left hall. Doubt it means anything, just wondering why is it so? Cos of “top left” rule?
Left hall position allows your peons to chop trees above the mine with minimal walking distance, which is nice. Of course, u can just put a mill there, but sometimes u have to wait with your mill (hate chopping w/out a mill, but shit happens).
Concerning building space both positions seem equal, unless you like to put your farm (I mean hall under the mine) under the hall at the tree line – peons may pop under the hall. With hall left to the mine you can put mill at the bottom treeline & chop there.
Well, I doubt all of this really matters compared with the mining speed. Maybe I am missing something, tell me if I did.
The question is: has any1 consistently tried both hall positions? If he did, his opinion will be greatly appreciated, as well as any other input. Thanks.
AgainstTheGrain.

------------------

Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 7:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
SomeOneGood

hall position at 2, GOW

I used to always hate 2, and I fooled around with my Hall/Building positions for awhile. Finally I have one that I think works really well.

I make my hall below the mine at 2. I make the farm under and make it so that I have fastest gold (and I make the 2 walls). I am certain to chop 1 thing of Wood. I can make 3 raxes without going past the Farm choke, and I make a mill kinda near them and chop the bottom of 2 (so I can take 3 easy). I have plenty of room for 2 more buildings this way.

I really like doing this..

Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 12:01 pm 
Axolotl

hall position at 2, GOW

Kith used to do the 2 walls thing. I don't like it, and he switched from it just because building 2 walls slows down your early game (important in 12/2 war).

The hall placement directly left of the mine is actually 5 spaces away, which you should only use as an expansion. The other choice is at the same 'height' as the normal position, but on the left side of the mine. I find that both are about the same when it comes to mining gold. So just play around with the 2 bottom positions to see which one you like. I prefer the one on the right, as do most players.

Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 4:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
SomeOneGood

hall position at 2, GOW

That's part of my order, though, Axo. I don't make any Walls until I see 12 is clear. If 12 is clear then I wall it up and I make the Peons go down to the bototm, and they make walls.

The problem with the bottom/left Hall placement is oftentimes building placements. You can only fit 2 or 3 Rax inside 2 if you do that one. The good thing is that your Grunts are out towards the entrance fast, so you can attack quickly, though.

Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 4:35 pm 
~Tanx

hall position at 2, GOW

hi, grain. email me sometime, please, so we can set up some time to hang out.

zzzmikey@knac.com

Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 8:36 am 
Scrubbolator

hall position at 2, GOW

Actually if you do the normal halli think the gold if faster than if you do it a few spaces to the left

What i used to do is the 2walls thing, but i would never do it right off the bat like all other people do it. What i would do is play normally in case someone was 12 since the 2walls slow you down and your peons are already taking the fastest route because you dont have a bunch of peons clogging it, but if 12 was clear i would wait until right before my peons would start going around each other and i would make 2walls and farms to wrap the hall. i find this to be the best hall placement from 2

oh and about the rax placement thing, i can fit 5 raxes inside both 12 or 2 without them being at inconveniant places so i never have rax problems

the way i place them is i put them both like right under the path that leads into 2 all the way to the left (a little far from the hall)

and the way i place my raxes at 2 have saved me in a few games in 12/2 wars. i set them up in a way that i can from a 5v4 choke further back from the normal 4v3 (most helpful in the case that im my ally is dualing, im getting double rushed and oted, so i move my choke back) and by doing this i can usually hold with a 5v4 and im usually pumping a cat by that time from one rax (you gotta make sure to pump it from the one to the right or else you'll have to cancel it)
so if they counter choke ill just get a cat up and break that setup.

If you werent using my strategy in this king of situation you would most likely be dead if you didnt have a cat already cause you wouldnt be able to make one.

if you manage to survive their attacks, then theres no possible way you can lose, you peonstop go lvl 5 and keep making grunts, forcing them both to rush hard and with your cat and pstop you own 12 (dont forget a 3rd rax and maybe 2nd cat) and it will be too late for the other to be able to stop the dualer, and game over.

Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

hall position at 2, GOW

Initially the hall to the left has faster gold. The peons move 6 squares (there and back) as opposed to 7. If you cover the left and bottom sides of the hall, so your peons are created closer to the mine, I'd say you are ahead. Of course, you are only ahead of the imaginary player who put his imaginary hall to the far right.

As you start to dig into the mine heavily, I am not sure who is ahead. There are only 2 paths of 3 on the left side of the mine, they are bounded by 2 paths of 4, and the 4 by 2 paths of 5. Yeah, the right side of the mine has a lot of 3 paths, however, the peons always bunch up on the left side of the hall so they are moving 4-5 sqaures to the mine.

Of course, this is all just theory. I, myself, have only used the left side like 10 times.

Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 4:01 pm 
Xx_OgreLust_xX

hall position at 2, GOW

What about hall postition at 4? I seen 3 of them. I usually move from 4 to 5 but in 2v2's my pard might be at 5 so where is the best spot to put a hall at 4??

Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:52 pm 
BiZaTcH

hall position at 2, GOW

Make it pretty high (be reasonable). Too low and your Peons can't chop the trees without having your line get stuck, etc...

Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
~Ragnar

hall position at 2, GOW

I'd say make your hall 2 spaces up from the trees, because if you make it one space lower your peons will get stuck and if you make it 3 spaces up from the trees, the gold flow is not as fast

Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:16 pm 
[OLC]APOPHIS

hall position at 2, GOW

http://www.startplatz.de/wurm/gow/pos8t.htm

This is what most players use as setup. The question was just about gold flowing, and as far as I know theres one space more between the mine at the bottom right pos as on the top position.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote