FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Strategy & Tactics

9 on gow

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
VG

9 on gow

What's the best way to rush/lust from 9 on gow. I usually wall off the side with my smith, wall off the top with 2 farms and then 2 raxes on top. This works ok but if I get catted, I'm kinda screwed. Is it better to wall off at 9 or rush with your base open. Also any tips on chopping wood cause I always chop out while i'm not paying attention and end up having to rewall with farms when I don't need them.

Where should I build my hall at 9. When I build it 2 spots up, I have to chop early, and my peons usually get stuck quite a bit. When I build it one spot up, They get stuck later in the game. When I build it on the bottom, it works fine but I'm very vulnerable to towers and being raxed/milled.

Someone told me that 9 has the fastest gold on the map but I do a faster rush/lust from just about anywhere.

Post Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:44 pm 
Axolotl

9 on gow

Why have your 2 barracks unrepairable? Alot of players use that setup, but it's very limiting. An option people seem to overlook is to not wallin at all. Just leave a choke point that you can quickly close with a farm if needed. Having your 2nd rax inside keeps it safe, and you can start archers, or a cat in there if you are outrushed.

Chopping: You have the trees to the left, below you , and above you. Mill should go up top since your hall is close to the bottom trees. Spread out your peons evenly on them.If you don't want to chop out then you better watch, because the trees are narrow at each spot, simple as that.

Hall: You decide. Peons will get stuck there eventually no matter where you build it (unless you go ridiculously high). Keep it off the bottom trees, because that is just asking for trouble as you have said. I like mine 2 up more than just 1 up.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2001 12:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
[OLC]APOPHIS

9 on gow

Hi,

my personal setup for 9 is the same as yours, but I dont build the right Farm - so pop out prio let them come out inside my wall in and i am still able to repair.
Is I want grunts to pop out I need to let 2 peons make lunchtime under my raxes - ok that means that I have 2 Peons (=1200 Gold/minute) having lunch and this is not rentable...
Better way is to build the rax on the right side, Top entrance and the farm left side - so that you let 2 pop out points to the outside. dont forget do build 2 stones over the farm to force sapper attacks =) - now you still have 1 pop out point to the outside. For this setup, a cannon tower is useful if you are attacked. Second rax pos. would be in range of the cannon tower (place it over the first rax). But on this pos. you shouldnīt be attacket - YOU should be the attacker because you are so powerfull on this pos (best Gold Flow) and can easily make a 2 rax rush - than you dont need defense.
During the time your grunts attacking the enemy with patrol you are take care of upgrading to strong hold and so on, and as soon as your opponent beats down your offense the next attack you make is with Ogres. Now he has a problem because against my attack he maybe had to repair and build cannon tower - I am a few seconds faster on BL than him and thats my chance to get him =)

[OLC]ApOpHiS (war2bne deu-1)

Post Thu Feb 08, 2001 8:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ranjan

9 on gow

I don't hang out in deu-1 nearly enough.

"Is I want grunts to pop out I need to let 2 peons make lunchtime under my raxes - ok that means that I have 2 Peons (=1200 Gold/minute) having lunch and this is not rentable..."

That is some funny shit.

Post Sun Feb 11, 2001 1:43 pm 
Soth

9 on gow

I don't usually wall 9 at all, because of the narrow tree lines. I have a rax where most common, and leave the space open where a farm would normally go under it. I also dont place the second rax to the right of the first, as my grunts would pop out inside my base, and unable to get out. Instead, my second rax goes to the 'island' of dirt, a little more to the right. Since I rarely get outrushed from 9, its an ok setup. When you know your going to be rushing vs 2 people, then it might be more advisable to wall in with a cannon. I never worry about chopping out, because I dont wall in. 9 has really fast gold, and I've managed to work out a good lvl 4/5 rush/lust from 2 raxes. I recommend placing the hall 1 space above the bottom; I dont get peon jams till late, when there are 15(estimated)+ peons mining gold at 9. s9/9 catting wars - I don't see much difference in hall placement myself, but others might differ. I place my smith to the right wallin, as is normal for most players, and my mill under the trees walling the top of 9.

Some people have difficulty when scouting from 9, as is you might have a neighbor at 11 or s9. I've had my share of tower wars and cat fights here, and I currently use this strategy: After first farm, I scout to 11. If hot, time for towers. If clear, I place a farm there, partially walling it; meanwhile my second peon is scouting s9. if s9 is hot, I can do a few things. It's basically up to preference. Sometimes I back off and wait for my cats, and dual 11, or I get into a huge tower war. A lot of it depends on what s9 tries to do to 9 early on. If s9 is clear, I will take my second peon back up to place my smith. My third peons, who should have been done by now, will be placing my rax. From there in, do whatever you like.

Hope this helps VG

Post Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
[OLC]APOPHIS

9 on gow

Once you played vs a KGBagent 1 vs 1 you know you should better wall in 9 =)

Sorry I forgotten to tell the reason for my first suggestion (pop out ability to the inside of your wall-in) - its because of catapults. But as I say before this is not rentable because 2 peons are not working and this is, as the other guy says, funny shit lol

At all, it is right that YOU are the attacker. Best Strategy to win the game is to be offensive, not defensive. But there are so many ways to wall in 9 with best pop out possibility - why do you play it open? 6 Grunts hiding behind the treeline would be enough to kill all your peons on wood and gold while your atacking the walled in enemy with your army. The only thing he has to do is waiting for your offense - than walk easily in your base )

I think 2 Rax wall in on 9 with optional cannon is a productive and safe way to win the game because you have a good expansion possibility on 11 and s9, fast gold and with that fast grunts and so on... Beware of sappers

[OLC]ApOpHiS

Post Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:14 am 
Soth

9 on gow

Apophis, I rarely get hit by hidden grunts at 9, when it does happen, sure it sucks. I tend to scout around to see if the enemy is waiting for me at home, etc. Maybe I go hit him, I'll still be building some units at home, which will help if he's got hidden units. Most players, seeing the treeline chopped open under 9, wont bother waiting..they'll want some kills. Besides, it's unlikely they know your chopping through, unless they scouted it earlier, which I find that a lot of players dont do. Unless your playing a top player, you really shouldnt worry about something like this.

Post Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
[OLC]APOPHIS

9 on gow

(I am not confirm with international pos. description, maybe I descripe some pos. with the wrong number - sorry bout that lol)

what happens in my last game vs C42Walli on GOW pos. 2 (top right) is: I produced about 15 Grunts lvl 5, after I early scouted him out on pos 5 (bottom right) an attacked his baracks with my army. during the long run from 2 to 5 i produced around 6 grunts at home to defend my base.
what I didnīt knew is - he was hidden his army on the entrance of 7, waiting for my attack.
As soon as I attacked 5, he hided 1 grunt in the forest between 5 and 2 so he was able to see me comming - than he upgraded his cannon and i had no chance to get into his base.
He attacked my 6 lvl 5 Grunts with his 15 lvl 5 grunts and killed all of my peons...

C42Walli is not one of the best players on BN - look at his stats You see - same could happen to you if you play open on 9

There are not so many newbies in Deu-1 for that I would play a position open - its too dangerous - and basically its no disatvantage to wall in - as i mentioned there are much possibilities to wall in with best pop out possibility as everybody know =)

[OLC]ApOpHiS

Post Tue Feb 20, 2001 11:30 am