FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Strategy

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
AGNB

Strategy

Anyone have any desire to talk about sc2 strategies/counters/unit compositions?

It is dependent on map/spawn locations, but I watch a lot of pro-matches, as im sure some other people do... We could get some general strategies down.

Or if anyone wants to learn how to get to Masters as Zerg I could help with any questions, just post away here.

New Ladder season starts July 17th, love to see some of you clowns play some 1vs1s

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:25 pm 
Picka_materina

As teran:
3 rax stim timing vs tos
2 rax bunker or mass helion vs zerg

As Zerg:
6 pool or ling/bling/infestor vs Tos
vs teran cry

As tos
4gate to diamond
cry.

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:11 pm 
turtleman@can

Lately I've been 11 pooling in all matchups. I find that it results in some interesting games. Sometimes I get shut down and get raped, other times I just run them over but when we start exchanging units the game gets interesting. I did it against a toss just tonight, and he was bitching about me cheesing him after the 20 minute long, back and forth game that turned into a base trade which I eventually lost. He accused me of going 'all in' . I think a lot of people have a misconception of all-in. If I go low econ aggressive early , I don't see how this is all-in when I'm forcing my opponent to essentially do the same thing to survive. It puts us on an even footing although I am tipping the favor because it's easier to defend aggression than perform it.

I kind of get annoyed by this thought process that unless I 15 pool FE and play 'standard' that I'm doing some cheesy all-in play. It's like people have slowly come to accept this mutually agreed upon econ opening so that the games can progress into a more macro oriented game. Yet, it's somehow okay for people to push out at various times after 2 basing without it being considered 'cheese' or 'all in' . But again, as zerg if I do some 2 base roach timing push I'm doing an 'all in' strategy.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm 
foonat

BGH NO AIR NO RUSH 20 MIN

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:06 pm 
turtleman@can

yeah exactly, this thought process was newbie bullshit in war2. In SC2 it's like some kind of ethical code.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:08 pm 
Picka_materina

That's only on NA server. You guys usually have 1 big 200/200 fight and that's it. At least that's how i heard. Come to eu, you'll see no such thing.

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 am 
Rat

Yesterday I played a ZVZ game on Xel'naga caverns. He suprisingly quick expanded on that small map. I raped him hard with banelings and in the end, he raged hard about me going all-in and I sucked. I laughed and he said he was gonna report me.

About strategy. There is a different strat on Metalopolis that some T did on me a month ago. Right in the beginning he lift command center and go for one of the gold minerals in the center. He 3 rax push and I barely survived first and secound push. Dunno why but he left the game after that attack, but he could have won.

Some people leave pretty quick after a lost fight, but I usually fight to the bitter end.

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:23 am 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by Rat
About strategy. There is a different strat on Metalopolis that some T did on me a month ago. Right in the beginning he lift command center and go for one of the gold minerals in the center. He 3 rax push and I barely survived first and secound push. Dunno why but he left the game after that attack, but he could have won.

That's what MKP did in gsl finals like 4-5 months a go (or some other korean, something like that)

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 am 
turtleman@can

yeah I can't count the amount of times a terran will push me hard and overwhelm my main and I throw up like 10 spine crawlers and abandon ship with overlord transports , come back and win

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 am 
kublikhan

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
yeah exactly, this thought process was newbie bullshit in war2. In SC2 it's like some kind of ethical code.
100% agree with you here. If you want to expand early and go heavy macro, fine. Just accept the fact that you are leaving yourself open to early aggression. Any of this crap that early aggression is some kind of cheap shit only newbs do is nothing but BS. I am going to continue to punish every player I come across that thinks they can early expand without fear in every matchup. Their rivers of tears give me strength.

quote:
Originally posted by Rat
I laughed and he said he was gonna report me.
I sometimes wonder how that conversation would go if these guys actually followed through and did report you. This was from something I posted awhile back in the rage thread:

quote:
Originally posted by kublikhan
Blizzard: Blizzard support, how may I help you?

Rager: I got some fucker I need banned.

Blizzard: And why is that?

Rager: He pissed me off hardcore.

Blizzard: We can't ban someone for upsetting you.

Rager: You don't get it. He manhandled the 1 strat I know. Now I doubt myself, this strat, and this whole fucking game. You better fix this right now. He was a complete ass too.

Blizzard: After your defeat, he responded in an unsportsmanlike conduct?

Rager: No. He was all nice and polite and shit. But that just pissed me off even more.

Blizzard: Sir, I already explained to you that we can't ban someone for upsetting you.

Rager: Well he was cheating too. Ban him for that.

Blizzard: How do you know he was cheating?

Rager: I just told you, he beat me. How else could he stop my 1a attack unless he was cheating?

Blizzard: We can't take action against a player unless there is proof of cheating.

Rager: Listen bitch, I am getting tired of you taking his side. Just ban the fucker already.

Blizzard: Calm down sir. Just forward us the replay of the game you suspect cheating in.

Rager: See! You are taking his side! You sound just like him with all this replay this and proof that. Dumb bitch. I want you banned too filthy whore ape bitch.

Blizzard: Your conduct has violated Blizzard's terms of use agreement. We are suspending your account.

Rager: Cunt! You can't do that! I'll tell my mom on you! She'll....<chat terminated>

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:09 pm 
Shynko

This game is nothing like bgh..or nr20min wtf.. there are USUALLY NO 200/200 battles. It's much harder to play a full-on macro game than just having a timing attack. Watch some replays. Also, NA servers are excellent and have high-caliber players as well. Utilize braincells don't just post random wrong information.

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:09 pm