FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

New Keyboard

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
turtleman@can

New Keyboard

I've never really been conscious of it until recently but back in the day, when I played war2 a lot - I had this bad ass keyboard and I recall after getting a new computer that I never really got used to my new keyboard in the same way and it just seemed like my responses were never as good.

I've gone from one bad keyboard to another and I've just learned to adapt to whatever I'm using. Lately, I got a new laptop and the keyboard on it is just so responsive and fluid-like in how I can type on it that I started thinking that it was time to upgrade my desktop keyboard, which is currently a piece of crap low profile acer keyboard.

So I've been reading a lot about different types of switches and I guess Cherry blue mx switches are the best for what I need (programming, RTS gaming) I think my only issue is that I don't really know if I want that big clicking noise after hitting each key. I have a feeling that it will drive me nuts.

So anyway, I'm just looking for what you guys are comfortable with to try out. Right now I found a cheap cherry blue mx switch Scorpius M10 mechanical keyboard for 60 bucks and a Razer Lycosa for the same price. I'm a little undecided on which to get. The Lycosa has glow in the dark buttons and seems to have gotten good reviews but the mechanical keyboard seems like it'll type a little bit more fluidly - but it's got the clicky noise.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:24 pm 
7VlesSiah

Mechanical Keyboards are the best. The new Razer BlackWidow is a good price. It uses Cherry MX blue switches. These keys require little force to opperate and they make a clicking noise when the key stroke is registered.

Down side of Razer's version is it is only 2kro. This probably will not be an issue for any game especially RTS.

They have two versions, one with a backlight and another without. The non-backlight one I have seen sold for $70 at CanadaComputers.

I'd probably buy that keyboard if I bought a new one right now. The Steeleseries mechanical keyboards are too expensive and I do not like the non-standard key format of it.

Best would be buying a Filco or Das keyboard that has Cherry MX switches. It is hard to find sellers in Canada so they tend to be expensive.

$70 is a really competitive price for a Cherry MX switch keyboard.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:32 pm 
7VlesSiah

Oh... I just bought a Razer DeathAdder mouse and I hate it for gaming. It is so hard to make precise movements with the non-standard shape of it. I also find it uncomfortable. I will probably buy another Logitech G1 over Ebay to use for gaming. My old G1 click button is catching.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:38 pm 
turtleman@can

Get a Razer Salmosa.. it's a regularly shaped mouse and it's also cheap. Very accurate. I've had mine for 6+months now and I've had no problems. Takes a while to get used to it coming from a standard optical mouse but now I couldn't live without it

Also I've read up on some of those das/filco keyboards. They look awesome but I can't bring myself to spending that much.
Also I was going to buy that Razer blackwidow but I don't like the layout of it. I like my keyboards very basic.

I actually went out tonight and bought a steelseries zboard starcraft 2 keyboard just for fun - worst keyboard of all time. I didn't even realize what I was buying, I'm going to bring it back tomorrow. It's got these acordion flap keyboards that u can take off the base and replace. One is "starcraft 2" the other is just a standard keyboard. Anyway, the way it's designed, they fold into 3 pieces so you put them in and they don't go in level, so your spacebar is broken in half, one half is depressed lower than the other. It truly is the worst keyboard I have ever seen in my life. And the funniest part is that it retails for around 100 bucks.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:52 pm 
7VlesSiah

I'm telling you, mechanical vs membrane is the biggest thing these days. Mechanical have a much better feel to them. They are far better for typing as well. http://www.carbonite.co.za/f3/razer-blackwidow-mini-review-6489/

Last edited by 7VlesSiah on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:01 pm 
turtleman@can

I ended up buying this:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=14078&core_cross=SEARCH#page=page-1
60 bucks, shipping included. They've got 5 left according to the site if anyone's interested. Cheapest mechanical keyboard I have found on the net in 3 days of searching.

This does use cherry blue mx switches btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6jHsIywyqU

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:02 pm 
7VlesSiah

That uses the same switches as the BlackWidow, Cherry MX Blues. Should be a good buy.

Wonder if it is nkro or what.

Last edited by 7VlesSiah on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:06 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah
I'm telling you, mechanical vs membrane is the biggest thing these days. Mechanical have a much better feel to them. They are far better for typing as well. http://www.carbonite.co.za/f3/razer-blackwidow-mini-review-6489/

If that keyboard didn't have those macro keys on the righthand side, I would have probably bought it because it's backlit. But I think they would annoy me

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:07 pm 
7VlesSiah

The one you bought looks decent. Main thing is getting a standard layout that has good Cherry switches. I have Cherry MX browns with a non-standard layout. I regret the non-standard layout and I would prefer blues for typing.

DEATHADDER SUCKS!!!

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 pm 
turtleman@can

Yeah, it's funny at what lengths people go to to get a decent keyboard. The market is flooded with these low profile ergonomic shitty keyboards. People are out there getting imported keyboards from japan (filco) and spending a fortune - and not only that but they're impossible to get your hands on.

Then you have all of these old fashioned (IBM Model M, Samsung DT35) keyboards that people are obsessed with and are paying upwards of 100 dollars for on e-bay or having them shipped from korea.

I was thinking of getting a Steelseries brown switch keyboard but apparently blue was the way to go for typing/rts gaming.

So yeah, the best available blue switch keyboards under 100 bucks right now are the blackwidow and the M10. The only thing with the M10 (the one I bought) is that it's durability is questionable however it just seems to be hit or miss.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:17 pm 
turtleman@can

it's the one on the left
flawless design. perfect for gaming
It's cheap
Only problem is I just noticed razer's not selling them directly anymore so I think they're out of production. You should find one online though no problem

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:19 pm 
7VlesSiah

The one beside the Salmosa is an MX300. The Logitech G1 is the exact same shape as the MX300 only the tech inside is the same as an MX500 gaming mouse. That is the mouse I'll probably buy and get shipped from Korea to replace my old one. $30.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 pm 
Shotgun_

wow that microsoft mouse is the one i had for war2 in my heyday, what an epic mouse

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:35 pm 
turtleman@can

The Salmosa kind of has this grippy feel and u can see how it's got fingertip support. Very comfortable. The mouse you are going to get looks like it would fly out of my hands while I am furiously sending my waves of zerglings to run over shotguns base.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:13 pm 
7VlesSiah

G1 fits nicely in the hand. It is a small mouse that allows for a light palm grip if wanted. The shape of it fits the hand perfectly imo. One of the top RTS mouses.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:21 pm 
GreenHorn

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can

it's the one on the left
flawless design. perfect for gaming
It's cheap
Only problem is I just noticed razer's not selling them directly anymore so I think they're out of production. You should find one online though no problem

I have the 3rd one shown here. MX518. Best mouse I've ever had.

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 am 
7VlesSiah

G1 is the same as the MX510 minus the buttons. I just like the shape of it more.

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 am 
foonat

the mx518 is on sale at newegg for 22 dollars after mail in rebate with free shipping. the offer ends tomorrow though

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:56 am