FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Just got a beta code, do protoss suck?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
7VlesSiah

Just got a beta code, do protoss suck?

Sup. I just got a beta code pre-ordering with Amazon.ca (only $68 after tax, free shipping).

The only race I knew on SC original was protoss. What race should I use in SC II? I sort of want a race that requires less apms.

Turtle, what level of newbness have you reached?

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:13 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

toss owns but they are probably the most micro intensive race in sc2 because of sentries and also because the general way toss is set up is that you're going to have stronger but more expensive units, so you'll have less units that are more valuable and you want to keep alive

but zerg requires a shit ton of macroing and terran is somewhere in between, your apm isn't really going to be a factor, if you're fast it will help you with all three races and if you're not it will hurt you with all three races

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:16 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

actually now that i think about it if you want a race that requires less micro and shit just go terran and spam marine/marauder/medivac

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 am 
7VlesSiah

What units are generally used with protoss? Yes I know it depends on the situation, but can you mass zealots or... (I'm out of options cause the units are too new).

I won my first game vs a total newb. It was not very instructional.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:21 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

depends on race and what the other dude is doing. generally zealot/stalker/sentry will get you through tier 1, but the proportion depends on what the other guys doing. like if its zerg and hes going speedlings, you want mostly zealots and sentries, but if he switches to roach you want stalkers. once you get past tier 1 it gets really thorny though and you just have to learn counters. i'd say the best thing to learn for a new toss player though is that sentries own and force field owns, learn to use and love force field

i'd suggest you watch replays. check the replay thread here, go to www.sc2rc.com and filter by the league/race you want replays of, http://himan.pl/ for top players, there's some other good ones but i don't have the links because i'm at work, sypher can probably link you or i can when i get home

quote:

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 am 
7VlesSiah

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:45 am 
Shotgun_

APM is non existant in sc2.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:47 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun_
APM is non existant in sc2.

what does this even mean

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:15 am 
Scrubbolator

the game is pretty balanced right now, though some maps do favor certain races in matchups.

that's the worst part about playing random - i can't pick which maps to deselect for certain races that i would certainly do if i was playing just one race

one thing to note about APM is that it's not calculated the same way it is in other games. they use a replay minute to calculate it and that's a minute on the normal speed which is about 42 seconds on faster, not to mention that failed actions don't count towards apm, like trying to train a unit when you don't have enough minerals

also like gn said, learn to use sentries well and learn the unit counters. an immortal kills a roach in 3 hits whereas a zealot needs 11 hits for instance

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah that must suck for random. like for example as toss i always have desert oasis deselected

quote:

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 am 
turtleman@can

my nick is turtleman.can
it's not like bw where protoss are the newbie friendly race, and terran require god-like macro. like people have said, it's pretty balanced

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:48 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

definitely ghostnuke hit it on the head, protoss is somewhat more micro oriented than terran, who are more micro oriented than zerg. i feel like all the races are pretty even in strength, but the heavier micro (many many active skills) of protoss gives the warriors of Aiur more flexible counters (por ejemplo: immortals are THE counter to roaches, but blink stalkers are a pretty workable counter)

protoss units to make:

sentries (upgrade hallucinate)
stalkers (upgrade blink)

these 2 things together will be a soft counter to everything, and a hard counter to some things. You can never make a terrible decision by warping in a stalker, or a sentry.

the rest of the units are situational:

zealots are useful in rushes, against zerglings and with speed they are good against hydras and massive units (tanks, thors, colossus, etc). Without speed zealots get crushed by any ranged micro whatsoever

void rays are awesome when gotten early (when they aren't ready with anti-air), can take out important buildings and win games for you

immortals are the go-to unit versus roaches, absolutely slaughter roaches, and a strong versus most medium-to-high HP units (they shoot slowly but pack a big punch, don't waste their shots hitting zerglings or something)

colossi own the shit out of bunched up low HP units, you need to get the range upgrade so you can kite ranged units

HTs with psi storm are also good against bunched up low-hp units, but for ground units colossi with the range upgrade outclass psi storm in every way

dark temps are useful obviously if they dont have detection, but can be used even if the player has some detection, just have to micro them better
warp prisms are fucking awesome, i get these a lot for droptech+backdoor warping

observers obviously do what they do

archons i haven't really ever had the need for, but if your DTs or HTs have become useless (they have vision/you dont have any mana left) you minus whale archon them

carriers+mothership are both pretty good but they are very expensive and you aren't going to making a fleet beacon all that often. in long games I have had both carriers and motherships be highly useful for me, but over the course of most games (5-15 minutes) i dont really even consider either of these units

phoenixes have no use other than an expensive scout (just hallucinate that shit) or overlord harass. if you are playing someone who you are much better than, you can get pretty cute with graviton beam micro--but I think that level of micro is fairly asinine and more of a parlor trick vs newbs than a real strategy.

so uh, yeah, thats how i feel about protoss right now.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:34 pm 
7VlesSiah

I always have too much vespian gas playing as protoss. What am I suppose to be buying that I am not that uses my gas up? Stalkers isn't doing it.

I'm generally getting stalkers, immortals and a few sentry. Mostly stalkers and immortals. So what do I get that will use up that gas? At first I'd just get templar and morph them into archons. I heard templars and archons basically suck though so I stopped.

Post Sun May 02, 2010 5:54 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah
I always have too much vespian gas playing as protoss. What am I suppose to be buying that I am not that uses my gas up? Stalkers isn't doing it.

I'm generally getting stalkers, immortals and a few sentry. Mostly stalkers and immortals. So what do I get that will use up that gas? At first I'd just get templar and morph them into archons. I heard templars and archons basically suck though so I stopped.

sentries. a lot of them

Post Sun May 02, 2010 7:26 am 
7VlesSiah

I haven't figured the sentries out yet. Like I don't know how much their giant shield helps or how it works. Like will it only minimize damage caused by projectiles? Do the projectiles have to be outside the shield? Do multiple shields have a multiplying effect? I'm not sure how their weapons work either. Like how strong they are. They are probably the most alien feeling unit for me right now.

Post Sun May 02, 2010 10:31 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

guardian shield only works vs ranged attacks. its good but what you really want to learn how to use is force field. you can use it to block your choke, block the other guy's choke so he can't do anything about you killing his expansion, and most importantly cutting the guy's army in half. it takes awhile to learn the best way to use it but once you do you'll probably find you don't have a lot of energy for guardian shield

quote:

Post Sun May 02, 2010 11:07 am