FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Strategy & Tactics

THE OFFICIAL CHOP THREAD

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Craze_b0i

THE OFFICIAL CHOP THREAD

Maybe this has been done before but whatever. Thought it would be nice to have a strat thread for those who like custom chop maps: in most cases this means chop64, but also chop-mad and chop32 which alot of noobs haven't ever played.

I'll start with chop64 (farms) which is what most play...

Early game there are several strats available, some with more merit than others depending:

- FAST TOWER AND HOP. basically cut enough trees to build a smith and tower then you build/cancel a wall to hop to your opponent. Once hopped you can build/cancel walls to interfere with his activity or if you get lucky build a farm or tower.

- TOWERS, you cut room for smith and 2 or even 3 towers. If u r quick it stops most things. If opponent is going for cats it will cause damage and slow him down.

- TOWER + CAT build early tower to duel vs enemy towers then chop as much space as possible to get cats. Try to get 2 rax as soon as possible.

- STRAIGHT TO CATS. chop away from your opponent so he can only shoot at your buildings (hall, mill, rax, smith) not peons. repair buildings as needed until you got cats. start pumping cats from 2 barracks. May also need an internal tower to prevent hopping, depends what ur opponent does.

Later strats:

- TECHING TO MAGES. If your starting strat worked ok and u r still alive then it often becomes a 'race' to get mages. if your neighbour is still alive you still need cats as well so keep pumping them, plus a few archers or towers if u think your oppoent will go air. Cats and mages work well together. Of course if you had no neighbour its possible to ignore starting strats above and go straight to mages. Finally, multi-cast can be useful on killing big buildings, but it can also be wasteful vs other targets.

- GOING DRAGS only useful if you got no enemy neighbour and u think the pards next to you can hold out. From the start clear as much space as possible then start building. Make a couple of units to kill your mound/smith/rax as you upgrade to fort. You need at least 4 roosts asap, but ideally you need more.

- SAPPERS AND INVADING. Sapps work well with any of: ogres, cats, mages, offensive towering. But in most cases your force needs to include ogres. Or if the enemy got fliers u gonna need some mages or axethrowers in your army, ideally both. Usually its best to have a mix of troops rather than rely on just 1 or 2 types.

Ok thats just a basic guide, clearly there are other things you can do. The good thing about chop is the options to use all the different units. Which is why I like to 'chop' so much Smile

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:16 am 
foonat

w0w this is gr8

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:39 am 
Tyrus

I smell sarcasm

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Oddity

yay=/

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:05 pm 
Strapping Young Lad

I like going mass catapults, buid like 5-6 rax if you have the room and go crazy with cats hahaha fucking devastating.

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:08 pm 
KaNuKs

quote:
Originally posted by Strapping Young Lad
I like going mass catapults, buid like 5-6 rax if you have the room and go crazy with cats hahaha fucking devastating.

Oooolala, id reaaally like to see that.

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 pm 
Pimster

quote:
Originally posted by KaNuKs
quote:

Oooolala, id reaaally like to see that.

hehe yeah, where do I buy tickets?

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Paper_Boy

I dont play it very often , but I have good luck with non stop chopping 1-2 cats and just get dks and gold. I wait for them to attack 1st while hasted dks kill every dragon. THen I send in my fleet. Also I noticed sometimes after a hope squares you cant build on . Is this a rare bug or some kind of hack? Takes over 2 squares sometimes.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
KaNuKs

I know this bug happens sometimes on gow and it lost me many games. One time i couldnt get into my opponent's base to kill peons. The other time i couldnt wall to prevent my opponenent from killing my peons.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:31 pm 
SoCxHoP

whirl
wind.

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:15 am 
cracky

quote:

Your cats < 1 death knight

You are so new.

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:41 am 
Craze_b0i

quote:
I dont play it very often , but I have good luck with non stop chopping 1-2 cats and just get dks and gold. I wait for them to attack 1st while hasted dks kill every dragon. THen I send in my fleet. Also I noticed sometimes after a hope squares you cant build on . Is this a rare bug or some kind of hack? Takes over 2 squares sometimes.

Its a bug in the game when you cancel walls sometimes. One of the reasons to hop into your opponent is to take advantage of this bug. The term for this when it happens against you is 'spot fucked'.
Wink

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:44 am 
SoCxHoP

it's happened to me where a unit has died sometimes... like one grunt will get into my wall-in and i'll kill it and won't be able to close over the top of it.

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:55 pm 
Strapping Young Lad

quote:
Originally posted by cracky. [HomerOwnzu@Heat]
quote:

Your cats < 1 death knight

You are so new.

shut the fuck up you stupid newbie. stop talking like you're anywhere near my league in war2, its not funny.
now, you cleary are a newbie with this comment you have just made. I have destroyed death knights easy with my cats, ive done it several times.

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:19 pm 
cracky

roflcopter... yea jon, you are good and cats are better than death knights. (Sarcasm)

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:58 pm 
Spu[N]Chick3n

[quote="cracky"]roflcopter... yea jon, you are good and cats are better than death knights. (Sarcasm)[/quote]

Death knights will take 4+ minutes to get. Where as you can get your first catapults in 2+ minutes. If you are next to an enemy, then racing to magic will probably lose. The cats will attack the hall and the person going magic will need to repair it. The cats will kill the peons, and new peons can't be built since the hall is upgrading. The person going magic won't be able to chop very much space since all their peons are dying. The person going cats can upgrade to hold, build a few grunts and sap in, then offensive gaurd tower to finish it.

If your neighbor enemy is a noob, going magic is probably OK.

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:32 pm 
Strapping Young Lad

gg

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:07 pm 
Spu[N]Chick3n

Re: THE OFFICIAL CHOP THREAD

quote:
Originally posted by Craze_b0i

- TOWERS, you cut room for smith and 2 or even 3 towers. If u r quick it stops most things. If opponent is going for cats it will cause damage and slow him down.

Even if you nail the cookbook 3 tower strat, it will only be effective if your enemy also faced you.

I don't recommend facing because:

1) If you lose, then you lose early and the game becomes a 4v3. Then your neighbor ally has to change his strategy.
2) If your opponent is going for cats, and you offensive tower his hall then you will lose.
3) If you have a corner spot then it takes longer to chop to gold.

If you are top mid or bottom mid and enemies are on both sides, then you may have to tower war. In that case I think the 6 peon, 3 cannon tower is the best. If your opponent tries for more than 3 towers then you'll likely be able to hop peons inside his base.

If you see your opponent is a noob then you might not need 3 towers, 1 or 2 may be enough, so don't take up chopping space by building unnecessary towers.

After you have completely won (by killing your enemy's hall), you will want to destroy your cannon towers (using peons to attack). Depending on your allies' situation, you may want to put up gaurd towers for defense against air attack. If you see your allies can protect you, then you may choose to get a rax instead of a mill and go for magic and/or air. If you're getting catted from the backside, then you'll want to survive as long as possible by starting another hall in the enemy's old spot.

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:02 am 
GreenHorn

quote:
Originally posted by Spu[N]Chick3n
quote:
Originally posted by cracky
roflcopter... yea jon, you are good and cats are better than death knights. (Sarcasm)

If your neighbor enemy is jon, going magic is probably OK.

Fixed

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:25 pm