FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Open Source war2

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
7VlesSiah

Open Source war2

quote:
Originally posted by minniemouse
There is now a NEW version of the old War2 Tides of Darkness that is completely OpenSourced (basically free and all source code is available to anyone). Before you dismiss this as the ugly looking FreeCraft, look at these screenshots of me playing it on Linux in 1024x768 mode:

screenshots: http://mail.crystaldawn.net/war2
projects sourceforge page: http://wargus.sourceforge.net

Here is a short overview of some of the interesting new features:

* Uses the real War2 TOD data files and not some crappy hand drawn graphics/sound/music.
* Shared Vision has been implemented
* SPLIT screens so you can attack and manage home at the same time. (Press the V key to get the splits screens goin, Up to 4 split screens, this is great with 1600x1200)
* Screen sizes bigger than 640x480 (up to 1600x1200)
* Unlimited amount of units can be selected at once (no longer limited to 9 units)
* Make up to 6 peons at once from a TH, same for rax, temple, dragon roosts, yards, etc.
* You can now create Critters from farms for 1 gold, AND you can control them. I have no idea why such a feature was added but its kinda cute. Running around GoW as a critter was sort of amusing.
* LOTS of new status bars on the units (Watch your armor upgrade without clicking on the smith, know how many chops a peon has done, etc.)
* Get this UP TO 16 PLAYERS IN MULTI PLAYER MODE!!!!
* Map sizes up to 1024x1024!!!!!!!! (Although only up to 256x256 is currently stable)
* Built in AUTOMATIC replay of EVERY game! Record/watch the replays from WITHIN war2. Replays can be given to other players for them to watch as well. Just send them the .log file (This will soon be able to be done right from within War2 or War2Chat, same with SS's).
* Built in Map editor
* This baby has some SERIOUS potential. The biggest being that it is now possible to make ALL war2 data reside on the SERVER instead of on the CLIENT!!! (Which means your PC no longer holds the map data, unit upgrade data etc.) This would make ALL of the current hacks inoperable and basically impossible to remake since those types of hacks require the data to be on the client. Please if you know of anyone who is knowledgable in C/C++ or LUA and love war2, tell them about this project so that they can contribute to it and keep it alive. I myself am versed in both and I plan on starting on the server portion of it as soon as I have learned the code.
* Every feature I just mentioned is add/removable by modifying the stratagus.lua file. But I think each player needs to have the same features enabled/disabled to play against/with each other.

Also, this project is 100% fully functional on ALL platforms (BSD, Linux, Mac OS X, Mac OS Darwin, Windows 95-XP), so by all means try this puppy out. If you need the old War2 Data files, you can find them online by searching google for "war2.rar" or install your old CD. I wont post the link here but I will tell it to you in email if needed.

That is just too cool.

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:03 am 
Scrub

Yes it's pretty cool now let's get together and play it. Who has it setup? Me, Ganz, and whom?

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:37 am 
ThePanacea

I think it would be cooler if we tweaked humans. If they did that I'd play some when I get time (this summer?)

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:12 pm 
eS[MaGe]

quote:
Originally posted by ThePanacea
I think it would be cooler if we tweaked humans. If they did that I'd play some when I get time (this summer?)

dude, shut up

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:49 pm 
WyZe

I have it setup, i'm not doing anything saterday afternoon thru to sunday morning if anyone wants to get a big game going then.

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:56 pm 
CRyELTy-Vio

You guys who have this thing running on your computers, do you advise us to install it or it is causing some kind of troubles to your computer?

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
GaNzTheLegend

its perfectly fine

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:28 pm 
Scrub

I thought it was but it seems fine now.

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:45 pm 
CRyELTy-Vio

ok, then im in =] (as far as i can install it succesfully... duno much about computers hehe)

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
WarIINewBiE

How do you get rid of those annoying messesages at the top!

Farm finish!
Peon finish!
you don't have enough resourse!
etc
etc
etc
etc...

Its taking away half the screen!!!!

Also, I try the multiplayer and it locked up Sad

Is there going to be a server somewhere?? or you are pretty much limited to LAN and someone's IP?

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:26 am 
CRyELTy-Vio

quote:
Originally posted by Scrub
Yes it's pretty cool now let's get together and play it. Who has it setup? Me, Ganz, and whom?
add me to the list :)

quote:
Originally posted by Newbie
Also, I try the multiplayer and it locked up

same here

btw, you guys have unzipped thewargus.zip file into your wcii folder or into a new different folder?

WCII Replays Database website ---> http://www.warcraft2replays.cjb.net

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:17 am 
DjinnKahn

Ugh, setting this up isn't simple for us spoiled Windows folks... here's the steps that worked for me:

1. download "Windows Binary and Source" from Wargus, and unzip it to a new directory
2. execute the file "build.bat"
-- if it just says "syntax error":
a. run write.exe, it comes with windows (start "write" by Start>Run...>write (type in "write"))
b. open "build.bat"
c. copy the entire document to the clipboard
d. open notepad and paste the clipboard
e. save the notepad file as "build2.bat" in the same directory as "build.bat"
f. run "build2.bat"
3. ok, now it will probably say "ERROR: 'D:\data\rezdat.war' was not found ... blah blah"

So, find "war2.exe" to find your warcraft1.3 or whatever directory. mine is in D:\war2. So, I ran "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\wargus\build2.bat" D:\war2

4. ok, now build2.bat should work hopefully -- it should create a directory called "war2.data". RENAME this to "data"

5. download the "Windows binary" from http://stratagus.sourceforge.net/download.shtml
and put "stratagus.exe" from the zip into your Wargus directory (the one with build.bat, etc)

6. That's it! easy (ha) :P --- is there an easier way ? ??

well, let me know if i left any steps out or made mistakes

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:43 pm 
CRyELTy-Vio

quote:
Just download the zip file I put up, there is no installation needed if you grab it. All you need to do is unzip it and run the stratagus.exe file. It's at http://mail.crystaldawn.net/war2/wargus.zip

thats it

btw, i have been doing some testing, and, errr... I will only say i think this version of war2 is kind of fucked up. i won´t make a ling essay cause is hard for me explaining things in detail throught english, but there are things like runes, death&decay, lusting properly a bunch of ogres, dragons poor attack agasint dk´s, and some other things which i wanna think are fault of my shitty computer (its very hard selecting single units, cursor and scroll go really slow, game speeds down very often...)

also, i found that war2 bnet strats can´t be pulled here. if you perform i.e your standard rush for spot 2 @ old gow you will be lacking farms, lacking gold...

Some of you who have already tested it please either flame me or tell me i´m right in some issues.

WCII Replays Database website ---> http://www.warcraft2replays.cjb.net

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:56 pm 
Aerasal

quote:

there's nothing wrong with humans

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:38 pm 
ThePanacea

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
quote:

Maybe not if you play slowest. On Even Faster how many people do you see winning against equally skilled people with humans?

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:55 pm 
x

quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe not if you play slowest. On Even Faster how many people do you see winning against equally skilled people with humans?

ZUG ZUG!

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:36 pm 
Ocram-OB

quote:
quote:
quote:

humans are overpowered on slowest.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:04 pm 
Scrub

The game was made on normal speed setting and it was balanced.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:15 pm 
x

quote:

Perfectly said.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:50 pm 
SaBiQ

quote:
Originally posted by x
quote:

Perfectly said.

And perfectly irrelevant as noone plays on normal speed.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:14 am