FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Secret Window
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Skechers

johnny depp is the best actor out there, i think no1 can match his brilliance on screen as of now........

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:17 pm 
Ocram-OB

quote:
Originally posted by Skechers
johnny depp is the best actor out there, i think no1 can match his brilliance on screen as of now........
was that a point? what were you actually trying to say?

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:20 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by Skechers

He may be mainstream, but Tom Hanks easily competes with Depp. I personally prefer Depp, mostly due to his role selections, but this new Hanks movie coming out soon (The Ladykillers I think its called), he appears to put on an amazing show. Its supposed to be hilarious.

And I can honestly say that Hanks' turn in Forrest Gump badly owns Depp in anything he's done.

Although, Depp is younger, and thus he plays better to a more youthful audience like most people here on the board. You have the benefit of growing up with Depp, while I'm sure most of you were too young to have seen "Splash" in theatres.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Scrub

Bleh I think Tom Hanks is boring. Depp has something about him, charisma.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:38 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by Scrub
Bleh I think Tom Hanks is boring. Depp has something about him, charisma.

Hard to have Charisma when you're playing a gay AIDS victim. Whereas, its much easier to have Charisma when playing a charismatic character.

This is why I made specific reference to differing role selection. I'm sure Hanks would have played a Great Capt. Jack Sparrow, but could I say that Depp would have made a good Forrest Gump? Would Depp have been as adept in playing an Officer in "Saving Private Ryan"? Personally, I dont think anyone is as versatile as Hanks.

But Dont get me wrong, Depp is definitely an actor I like more then Hanks, but I cant sit here and tell you guys that Depp is actually better.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

What a terrible movie. I used to hate Depp back in the day. I dismissed him as another pretty boy hollywood actor with no depth of character. In his old films, I could have sworen he spent hours infront of the mirror rehearsing, it just looked too fake. The last 5 or so years he has put out some really good films. 9th Gate was the first one that caught my attention and totally changed my view on Depp.

Of course... Secret window just sucked. another crappy thriller only it has that much overdone schizoid crap. Just a terrible movie. Shoot her, shoot her, OH I get it! That is so clever. All I had was flash backs of redrum, redrum.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:27 pm 
cooldip

johnny depp as willy wonka omg

oompa loompa oompidi do bitch

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:28 am 
cooldip

quote:
Originally posted by JiGGa_MaN

Hard to have Charisma when you're playing a gay AIDS victim. Whereas, its much easier to have Charisma when playing a charismatic character.

This is why I made specific reference to differing role selection. I'm sure Hanks would have played a Great Capt. Jack Sparrow, but could I say that Depp would have made a good Forrest Gump? Would Depp have been as adept in playing an Officer in "Saving Private Ryan"? Personally, I dont think anyone is as versatile as Hanks.

But Dont get me wrong, Depp is definitely an actor I like more then Hanks, but I cant sit here and tell you guys that Depp is actually better.

In a Hanks vs Depp battle of versatility I'd have to go with Depp...

They've both made the same amount of movies and although Depp has not exactly had a Gump type of role, but i think he shines in almost all the movies made after his scissor time...

Hanks I just don't think embodies every single role he takes, sometimes he even gets outperformed (road to perdition - law, castaway - ball)....

Anways, depp is own

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:33 am 
Scrubbolator

for some reason, for misery i liked the book a lot more than i did the movie, although the movie was pretty good too. the green mile, the shining and carrie were very well done. for every other stephen king movie, i didn't enjoy them nearly as much as i did the books

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Scrub

Messiah to call it 'terrible' is ridiculous. It may not have been his best performance but the acting was well done. I haven't seen John Turturro act better in any other movie, Depp was on fire as well. How many of you knew what was going on from the start, without reading the book?

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:02 am 
oRioN

quote:
You have the benefit of growing up with Depp, while I'm sure most of you were too young to have seen " Slash " in theatres.

Shit mang, when was this?

Countdown to Archangel's post deleting lameness in 5...4...3...

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:02 am 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by oRioN
quote:
You have the benefit of growing up with Depp, while I'm sure most of you were too young to have seen " Slash " in theatres.

Shit mang, when was this?

Countdown to Archangel's post deleting lameness in 5...4...3...

You're such a pathetic attention whore. Like 6 months after the fact, and in a completely unrelated topic, you bring this up again? I cant believe you spend your time thinking about that. Nice life.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:12 pm 
ghostnuke

quote:
Originally posted by Scrub
I haven't seen John Turturro act better in any other movie
barton fink, miller's crossing, the big lebowski, quiz show

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:37 pm 
Scrub

hah no way.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:39 pm 
ghostnuke

yeah he only won best actor at cannes for barton fink Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:04 pm 
Kith-Kanin

I saw the movie and to be quite honest *ATTENTION SPOILER ALERT* I had guess the whole schizophrenia thing about 1/4 of the way into the movie so it kind of didn't really make me enjoy the movie that much.
I think it could of been done better. Seems like the alternate personality is starting to get a little played out now.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ThreeUp3Down

[quote="cooldip"]

quote:

anks I just don't think embodies every single role he takes, sometimes he even gets outperformed (road to perdition - law, castaway - ball)....

LMAO bout Hanks. He would have been a shitty Captain Jack Sparrow

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:53 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

[quote="ThreeUp3Down"]

quote:
Originally posted by cooldip
quote:

anks I just don't think embodies every single role he takes, sometimes he even gets outperformed (road to perdition - law, castaway - ball)....

LMAO bout Hanks. He would have been a shitty Captain Jack Sparrow

You only say that because you are judging based on Castaway, Sleepless in Seattle, and other mainstream movies that he did solely for money. If you look at Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, or even Green Mile, its obvious hes much more versatile then anyone will give him credit for. He's only considered one of the best actors in the world.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:36 pm