FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

A+ certification

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
oHiTMaNo

A+ certification

I obtained my A+ about 7 years ago (im 19) and back then it was strictly Windows 95 and DOS commands. I recently got hired on as a Resident Technician for Staples and they say theyll pay for my A+. So I want to go and take it again. I was wondering if anyone here has recently taken it so I can get an idea of whats on it now (is it 95,98,2000,nt,xp,me?) or..what the jebus. Also if anyone has any studyguides or anything, or mock tests/quizzes to help me study.

I have had people tell me its getting alot harder, and others telling me its down to like 40 questions (20 hardware, 20 OS) and its a complete joke?

any help would be awesome

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:40 am 
Skechers

ya.. i actually took a joke class to and the guy just got into it and kids in the class knew more about computers than him and it was easy

they ask u about DMA IRQ channels, that is detailed, so you have to know that, like 3 is for a mouse.

and you have to be able to identify differnt RAM and what not.

i personally think it is a joke if you can memorize details about things.............. i never took the test becuase it cost like 300 dollars, and i dind't think it was worth it, b/c i knew i woudn't need it for anything.

my teacher gave sample questions from a+ certified test and for the most part it actually was pretty easy.... just study old A+ test and memorize the details..

i think you wil have to do alot of studying.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:06 pm 
$hazm

Three topics covered is hardware, software, and networking. Their are 2 tests. One covers hardware and network, the other software and operating systems. You need to know windows 2000/XP for the software test. Things like making user groups, installing software, trouble shooting, maintance, and that type of thing. Their are alot of questions on the built in troubleshooting/maintance programs built into the O/S. The hardware involves installing hardware, Mostly what skechers said, and network involves the different type of networks, what type of network should be used in different circumstances, what components should be used in different networks, types of network cables, that kind of thing. It is harder than skechers makes it out to be. I would suggest buying a refresher book from your local book store and reading up on it. For about $40.00 you can get a A++ readiness book to prepare you thats about 800-1000 pages, and if you know your stuff alreay thats all you will need.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:56 pm 
oHiTMaNo

thanks for the replies, however theres no way im forking out any $$ for this aha. I didnt have to the first time so Ill just find some ebooks or something (I already have 2 study guides, one is a cram session about 90 pages, while the other is a full book of about 900 pages). Im not really worried about the hardware part..being a technician..or the networking part (im CCNA (cisco) certified). Its just the OS stuff I'll have to look over more in depth)

thanks guys

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:10 pm 
Skechers

quote:
Originally posted by oHiTMaNo
thanks for the replies, however theres no way im forking out any $$ for this aha. I didnt have to the first time so Ill just find some ebooks or something (I already have 2 study guides, one is a cram session about 90 pages, while the other is a full book of about 900 pages). Im not really worried about the hardware part..being a technician..or the networking part (im CCNA (cisco) certified). Its just the OS stuff I'll have to look over more in depth)

thanks guys

don't you have to know a lot about the software to be able to network?

ya over here u had to pay 200 or 300 i forgot, i got another HD instead of taking the test

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:27 pm 
oHiTMaNo

for network+ you may, but for cisco (which is the be all and end all of networking) if dealt nothing with software

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:35 pm 
WarIINewBiE

For some reason, I thought that a few years back, once you get your A+, you are grandfather in for life! Now if you have A+, you must take the test every 2 years or so. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. When did you get your A+ plus back then???

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:13 pm 
oHiTMaNo

Nope, A+ is "good for life" soto speak, and I got mine in either late 96 or early 97. I got examessentials 6.0 and cracked it (over $3500 worth of software hehe) and I took like a 500 question quiz on both OS/Hardware and scored like 65 first time around, so I dont think I have all that much studying to do.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:43 pm 
Skechers

quote:
Originally posted by oHiTMaNo
Nope, A+ is "good for life" soto speak, and I got mine in either late 96 or early 97. I got examessentials 6.0 and cracked it (over $3500 worth of software hehe) and I took like a 500 question quiz on both OS/Hardware and scored like 65 first time around, so I dont think I have all that much studying to do.

examessentials? 3500? what?

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:17 pm 
Skechers

quote:
Originally posted by WarIINewBiE
For some reason, I thought that a few years back, once you get your A+, you are grandfather in for life! Now if you have A+, you must take the test every 2 years or so. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. When did you get your A+ plus back then???

ya ur right, its common sense, if someone is going to hire you, you have to get a new a+ so ur certified with the new tech.. its like doctors taking test to keep up with the latest medical shit, it just shows to them you learned the NEW tech..

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:18 pm 
oHiTMaNo

If you hop over to examessentials.com and download, then goto use the sample tests, they show price per test, so you have to buy the rights to have it/download the module for that cert. All of the sample tests they offered combines for $3500.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:32 pm 
oHiTMaNo

I received the following from an instructor at a local college whom I've met,

"We don't do it anymore, but you can write them at the CBBC. The tests are delivered by Prometric and you have to schedule the test with them, either by phone or online. I don't have the phone number here, but the online registration is at:
http://www.2test.com/index.jsp
You will need your Social Insurance Number and a credit card.
You can set it up within a few days of when you want to write, or any longer
period. The price is $145US per exam, and there are two exams required for the A+ certification (hardware and operating system).
They changed the exam specs as of Nov 26, so there are currently two sets of A+ exams - you choose the set. The 200 series is for the pre-November
requirements (older) and the 300 series is the new set of requirements
(current)."

So 145+145=290 (290usd to cdn is like $380). And theres a new test and an old one? ehe..ah christ, does anyone know the exact make, is it like 40 questions per exam or what?

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:18 am 
ThePanacea

I got a CNE certification after taking a class in school. It was pretty much worthless and I didn't get much out of the class.

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:45 am 
$hazm

Test is progressive. Anywhere for 20-30 questions. The more you answer right, the harder the question. Each question is worth from 1-3 points (not accurate, just using as an example, i dunno the actual scoring point system) depending on the skill level. You can either pass or fail by the 20th question, either by getting them all wrong, or getting them all right, or you can do all 30 and pass or fail, either by getting too many wrong or getting enough right, or anywhere in between. It is best to answer the first 2 or 3 questions wrong so that the test is easier, but you will have to answer more questions this way =-)

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:16 pm 
Skechers

quote:
Originally posted by $hazm
Test is progressive. Anywhere for 20-30 questions. The more you answer right, the harder the question. Each question is worth from 1-3 points (not accurate, just using as an example, i dunno the actual scoring point system) depending on the skill level. You can either pass or fail by the 20th question, either by getting them all wrong, or getting them all right, or you can do all 30 and pass or fail, either by getting too many wrong or getting enough right, or anywhere in between. It is best to answer the first 2 or 3 questions wrong so that the test is easier, but you will have to answer more questions this way =-)

ya thats true. lol. ya 275 was how much it cost when tehy wantedm eot take it like 3 years ago... i didn't take it, i said fuck it, it was not worth it, which it wasnt, i bought a 120gb HD.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:33 pm