FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Warcraft 2 VS Warcraft 3:

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Reikan

Warcraft 2 VS Warcraft 3:

Since everyone is still raving about the new forum(and hence there are a lot of worthless topics allready), I decided to put up a topic that most of you will probably care enough to discuss:

This is a topic that has surfaced from time to time on the old board, but it has never had any momentum due to the 'social atmosphere' of the old board. Which do you think is the better game, Warcraft 2 or Warcraft 3?

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:51 pm 
xAkroN

I would sacrifice gameplay for graphics anyday, when i come on war3 i dont have as much fun. whether it be for lack of gameplay or lack of a small community i dont know, but either way i have more fun on war2.

i think that war3 is simply a better looking game, but war2 has been around longer, therefore giving players time to form a small community in which players that are familiar with eachother can play friendly games.

IMO, war2 is a 'funner' game and war3 just looks better.

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:58 pm 
Scrub

War2 lacks the people yet because of this has a great community. Everyone knows everyone unless they're smurfing.

War3 lacks a community or has way too many. The learning curve on the game is way too easy also.

CS lacks just about nothing as long as you can find a clan or a community otherwise I can see how pubbing all day might get boring. Suffice to say it's easily the best online game (currently) out there.

CS generates 4.5 billion player minutes per month. I don't know how many play but obviously a ton. There were 3500 servers the other day.

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:11 pm 
tseuG

quote:
Originally posted by xAkroN
I would sacrifice gameplay for graphics anyday, when i come on war3 i dont have as much fun. whether it be for lack of gameplay or lack of a small community i dont know, but either way i have more fun on war2.

i think that war3 is simply a better looking game, but war2 has been around longer, therefore giving players time to form a small community in which players that are familiar with eachother can play friendly games.

IMO, war2 is a 'funner' game and war3 just looks better.

I agree with that. I didn't get the same feel from War3 no matter how many games I played. Even when it first came out and kali channel was like the old [24-7]. It just wasn't the same. :\

quote:
Originally posted by Scrub
CS lacks just about nothing as long as you can find a clan or a community otherwise I can see how pubbing all day might get boring. Suffice to say it's easily the best online game (currently) out there.

CS generates 4.5 billion player minutes per month. I don't know how many play but obviously a ton. There were 3500 servers the other day.

CS was awesome until 1.6 came out. As a result of such a shit patch a few Cal teams (Main and Invite - Who gives a shit about O or IM?) decided to leave. The game is also plagued with newbs now. It's impossible for me to pub without being accused of h4x. Fuck 1.6, and fuck Valve.

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:48 pm 
Reikan

I think that Warcraft 3 is too complex at the moment to really get as much out of as say...Warcraft 2 or Brood War. The older games really emphasize simplicity.

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:54 pm 
GaNzTheLegend

war3>war2

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:12 am 
Axolotl

http://www.warboards.org/showthread.php?threadid=613

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DrunkeN

war3 owns war2 simply because wc2 is to old and the community has gotten pretty sad.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Skechers

quote:
Originally posted by DrunkeN
war3 owns war2 simply because wc2 is to old and the community has gotten pretty sad.

that is true, every time i log onto war2 i am always greeted by a wonderful person (name i will not mention) that loves to talk 'stuff'..

How many hackers are there in war3 compared to war2? you can not join a pick up game in war2 simply b/c someone will for sure, be hacking.. i use to turn on hacks and watch people blatantly build ogre mounds while they are still hall..

i never played war3 - so i can't comment on it.. well i did play the BETA and it stunk.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:46 am 
WyZe

I like warcraft2 cause everyone that plays it is cool u know its just cool people like paperboy mf akron. and all the gay people left now its all fun you know no more wieners playing plus im top 250 players now which is kool

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:59 pm 
ThreeUp3Down

I like War2 better though it could use some more people. The community can be small but if it doubled in size it would still be small.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:21 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

I definitely prefer Warcraft 2. I think Blizzard made some interesting new features for war3 that were appealing, but I didnt like HOW they were done. For example, the whole "Hero" concept was interesting, and sounded better in pre-game marketing then it actually was. I found the game took away alot of the macro that Warcraft 2 offered. I found myself spending most my time in the game watching the battles to make sure I was casting spells appropriately, and attacking the prime targets.

I disliked it. The leveling was a great addition, the items, the new magic system was neat. But the amount of Micro I was doing became tedious and uneventful in a short time. I also wasnt big on the community, even bnet had the fastest/ef communities making up the bulk. War3 is pandemonium sometimes.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
xAkroN

quote:
Originally posted by DrunkeN

quote:
Originally posted by Reikan
I think that Warcraft 3 is too complex at the moment to really get as much out of as say...Warcraft 2 or Brood War. The older games really emphasize simplicity.

Agreed, 'our' community has gone to crap, but i still insist that its the gameplay and ADDICTION that keeps the game alive. The simplicity is also a big factor in what is making/keeping the game addictive and actually fun. I dont want to come home from school with a headache and have to play a video game which makes my headache worse from all the tedious gameplay (Warcraft 3). I want a simple and quick game (Warcraft 2).

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:49 pm 
Reikan

The defense that you guys seem to be throwing up for War2 seems to revolve around the community. Why isn't that the case with War3?

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:30 pm 
GaNzTheLegend

War2 is old, repetitive, and boring. Those are the reasons I quit for my 5th and final time.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:40 pm 
DrunkeN

quote:
Originally posted by Reikan
The defense that you guys seem to be throwing up for War2 seems to revolve around the community. Why isn't that the case with War3?

The wc3 community is not bad at all, no hackers or that much talking shit, btw im talking about Clan Kali and some of Clan Naoc. except for uc- hes an asshole get that trivia bot out of channel before i start banning it again.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:13 pm 
ThePanacea

Obviously after you've played the game more than a few matches gameplay (strategy especially) is where it's at and graphics stop mattering.

That said, War3 has some features War2 doesn't really have. Micromanagement is a big factor in it as are unit counters. Having several different races makes the replay value much better and allows a good bit more strategy Unfortunately, it still lacks some of the big "things" that make War2 an excellent game.

First, it lacks real strategy countering (ie I go fast lust and someone else counter duals or 2 cats), scouting isn't quite as important, there's no real resource/base management after you get the general feel and you can't ever really take the whole map and dominate with many more, superior units because of upkeep.

There's also less macro management and it makes the game very, very boring. I felt like I was playing pretty competitively at a couple points in time there was only one thing going on at the same time, and it took an hour for it to happen.

Those are my biggest complaints, though I listed a couple more in the other thread.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:42 pm 
stoned@chayliss

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl
http://www.warboards.org/showthread.php?threadid=613

serious ro0fle, wish i was high i would do some RL rofl
quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
KGBagent97

I find the customs in Warcraft3 more enjoyable than the actual gameplay. If I had to rate Blizzard's games, it'd probably be:

Warcraft2 > Starcraft > Diablo2 > Warcraft3

I don't feel like typing up twenty pages explaining why I'd rather play Warcraft2 over Warcraft3, since I tend to do that enough in school. Warcraft3 just didn't work for me. I'd rather do meph runs in D2 than play Warcraft3, but here's a couple serious reasons on why I don't like it:

-None or VERY LITTLE resource management
-Creeps, wtf?
-Upkeep
-Unit limit
-Items
-Creeps

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:31 pm 
Aerasal

war3 would be cooler than war2 only if it played the exact same, cause its graphics are purdy

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:48 pm 
Necrophilic

starcraft > warcraft

woot

edit: KGB - items, upkeep and smaller unit limit add to resource management greatly, a lot more than war2

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:38 pm 
ghostnuke

Apples and oranges.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:58 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by Necrophilic
starcraft > warcraft

woot

edit: KGB - items, upkeep and smaller unit limit add to resource management greatly, a lot more than war2

No, I find that unit cap and upkeep make the game stupid.

Example, in war2, You beat your opponant to lust, and start taking the map. You start pumping ogres. You overrun him with expansions and units, and win the game.

Example in war3, same scenario, only now you have a unit cap, and cant overrun him with units and expansions. You cant afford to have a million peasants getting resources, so taking the map is pointless. At the same time, your opponant needs very little time to catch up compared to war2.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Reikan

quote:
Originally posted by JiGGa_MaN
quote:
starcraft > warcraft

woot

No, I find that unit cap and upkeep make the game stupid.

Example, in war2, You beat your opponant to lust, and start taking the map. You start pumping ogres. You overrun him with expansions and units, and win the game.

Example in war3, same scenario, only now you have a unit cap, and cant overrun him with units and expansions. You cant afford to have a million peasants getting resources, so taking the map is pointless. At the same time, your opponant needs very little time to catch up compared to war2.

That depends on the game style. In a team game or a 1vs1 I agree. In an FFA it's a completely different scenario.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:40 pm 
Necrophilic

I agree that you can't really run over your opponent and dominant the map but I wasn't really trying to say that you can.

I meant that with all the factors limiting you from obtaining godly resources you have to be a lot smarter with how you spend it. Making the right unit combinations becomes a lot more important and items can often be the difference in a major battle which consequently decides the game. You have to be careful with where you spend your money.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:58 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
I agree that you can't really run over your opponent and dominant the map but I wasn't really trying to say that you can.

I meant that with all the factors limiting you from obtaining godly resources you have to be a lot smarter with how you spend it. Making the right unit combinations becomes a lot more important and items can often be the difference in a major battle which consequently decides the game. You have to be careful with where you spend your money.

I agree with that. Guess i just misunderstood what you were trying to say. I think if war3 had all the same additions, only with the same gameplay style as war2 I would have appreciated it much more. To me it seemed like a sad mix between those lame campaign missions in war2 with Alleria and a small group having to run around and finish the mission, and the regular war2 RTS style.

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:23 am 
Doritoe-

How can war3 even compare to war2? war2 is never repetitive ganz. I have yet to play a game that the exact same thing happens in 2 games, and ive played tons of games (unlike yourself). war2 may have less people, but it still 100000 times funner than war3. gg

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:31 am 
Scrub

quote:
Originally posted by Doritoe-
How can war3 even compare to war2? war2 is never repetitive ganz. I have yet to play a game that the exact same thing happens in 2 games, and ive played tons of games (unlike yourself). war2 may have less people, but it still 100000 times funner than war3. gg

You have never even played War3 before. At least try it before you bash it.

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:58 pm 
JiGGa_MaN

quote:
Originally posted by Scrub
quote:
Originally posted by Doritoe-

You have never even played War3 before. At least try it before you bash it.

maybe he did.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:54 pm