FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Strategy & Tactics

Water maps

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Khadgar-WH

Water maps

I'd like to get better at water maps because I've been choosing to play them more often. I've been looking for Ywfn and INcin to game with them, because I have played both of them on a water map (FoC to be exact) and I got owned. What is the general strat? I have found that expanding and getting a lot of mages/dk's works well, but I also played someone that isn't a water map type of guy.

Anyway, from the pros that gamed on the old servers when GoW wasn't as overplayed Smile

What are some really good strats on water maps?

I forgot to add ... If anyone (I mean by Kith Kanin, Ywfn, INcin, Axo, this is if possible of course) would be willing to get on war2, I'd love to play you on a water map. Own me, then give me tips Smile

Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:36 pm 
Scrubbolator

everything is relevant of course, and it depends on what map on what settings you are playing

on hsc/high it is best to dual on your own island because the goldmine has 75k... do not hop in a 1on1 unless you like getting raped. when your goldmine is getting low you might wanna make a few jugs to kill his shipyard and keep him from getting off his island, while expanding yourself

on foc it's most common to go jugs early on and try to expand as much as you can later on. if your gold can be targetted by sea, then you obviously have to outjug your opponent. if it can't, then an alternative to jugging would be to get like 2-3 subs quick and kill off his jugs and then get dks/lust or whatever

Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

if he wanted tips from a newbie he would have asked for it

Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:01 am 
CrAcKaJaCk

I say just get dragons and say "ALL UR BASE BELONG TO US!"

Then finish it off with a "Siegfree thy Hail Hitlah!"

That always makes the opponent cuss at me and i rape him.

Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:22 pm 
Butters

quote:
Originally posted by CrAcKaJaCk

Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:30 pm 

quote:
Originally posted by CrAcKaJaCk

It's "ALL YOUR BASES ARE BELONG TO US"

Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:19 am 
Capook

imo the best water setts are foc/low

I absolutely suck at war2 and yet I can't remember losing a 2v2 foc/low with my p, so you guys must not know how to play it =).

Basically 2v2 foc/low is a fight for expansions. In the most simplistic view of things, there are two ways to get the expansions. The first is to control the seas with juggs, and the second is to grab the expansions before your sea dies and defend them with dk's. If you go for the second you want to "oil out" which means to make a yard really early (earlier than a jugg-rusher would) an get 4-5 tankers mining for as long as you can. On foc you'll want to make a foundary and a trans early as well, to grab an exp. The main point, however, is to have saved a bunch of oil for the late game. When your opponant has the sea but you have more tech/res, often a game is won or lost on whether you can get a transport through to your opponants island. Even if he's killed and transports you've hid around the map, having a store of oil means all you need to do to get a trans is throw up a yard (and foundary, if you haven't managed to hide yours) in a place he isn't looking at the moment. Use fliers to find such a place, and use fliers to slip your trans thru any patrolling subs once its loaded. Take out his exp first on foc, and you should be set.

Well those are the basics. Now start playing some foc/low cuz it rox =)

Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:29 pm 
dgf_pariah

I'd help you Khad, but you already own me. Plus I suck at sea, so in fact, I don't even know why I'm posting a reply, I just am.

Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
{Lashiec}

FOC singles, its about expanding early, minimal juggs unless your hall is on the sea (bottom right or penis island)

then just play it like you would a land map, only with transports, fliers and more emphasis on dk's

Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number  Reply with quote  

that must be foc/hi. That strategy is not at all viable on low res. Which is why low is a better game. People don't like sea because they play it on high res and then come to the boring conclusion that you did, that its just like a land map except u can attack with no more than 6 transports at a time.

If you don't start the game with a healthy glittering prizes, (otherwise known as high res) you can't ignore the sea.

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:41 pm 

err transports = units

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:42 pm 
ORKinman

Since I no longer plan on playing WarCraft 2, I will give some water tips.

HSC/high - Two hall on same island, the most important thing to know is to ease your way into your resources, don't build everything at once. You shouldn't have a smith at hall, and only throw your barracks up when you need to upgrade. After you are upgraded repair an alchemist, repair all your buildings like mad and keep upgrading throw down a yard at fort.
HSC/Medium/Low - Control the water. Make jugs and for god sake only make destroyers when you have them pinned on their island, never make them for any other case than to chase transports or kill dragons. When they are pinned keep expanding either by hopping or transports.

FOC/High/Medium/Low - FOC is all about controlling the sea. This one is as easy as it comes to playing, just go all out jugs when you have them pinned take every expansion. The most important thing is to keep scouting around their island for yards they may have rebuilt, if they get off their island you're dead. You can also load some peons up on a tranny and unload on their coast in range of your jugs and tower.

The most important thing for jugging is clicking speed. Jugs are similar to the movements of cats, but allow you a little more leniency in error. Cats are usually hit or miss in their shots, when in close range, splash damage usually always effects the other ship with jugs. Obviously you want to be as dead on accurate as possible. Two dead on shots cause a jug to sink. All you have to do when in jug wars is to highlight two ships, target your attack at one of their jugs, as soon as you shoot move them out of the way. Do this repeatedly for all of the ships you have. You have to do this quickly, when you master it you'll be laughing at how many jugs you sink compared to how many they sink of yours. When your closest jugs shoot, move them far enough out to where you have enough time to micro your other jugs, by the time they are about to stop, you should be able to micro the first two jugs you targeted at one of their jugs and keep the cycle going.

Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:10 pm