Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KillaBoBilla

Unit Control

Mine sucks. Help?

Post Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:56 pm 
Axolotl

How so?

Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
KillaBoBilla

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl
How so?

Well, I have an uncanny ability to lose fights when I have 5 lvl 3 grunts and my opponent has 4 lvl 3 grunts. It's a skill I'd like to lose.

Also, I'd like to know when at 12/2 I always peon stop (assuming I have a neighbour). At how many grunts should I start attacking? Because, it is only common sense that if I dont attack soon, I will die because my neighbour will have such a strong economy.

And another thing about that situation is as follows: when either 12/2 is choked by my opponent and we have equal #s of grunts, there is no point in attacking. So, do I throw up a GT, CT, build a cat, axers, or just more grunts. Or do I throw up a defensive GT and go for lust?

>ACK< So many questions, so few answers!

Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:35 am 
kanuks@wannahelp

Hola KillaBolla, ill be back tomorrow night, so if u see me on, just ask me all those questions, imma answer u LIVE just for ya.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:55 pm 
RobertDinh

ya

Unit control is simple. Just Patol and make sure u have more dont rely on the move command. and if they patrol into you move one of your grunts away and drag like 2 of his grunts with you. Setups are good. You should setup outside of 2 and get a cat. Always rush hard in 12/2 wars. you can p stop or pump early with a choke Both work. I reccomend u p stop until u master unit control. And make sure u hit weak grunt if its small battle

Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:00 am 
SuikodenTM

quote:
Originally posted by KillaBoBilla
quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl
How so?

Well, I have an uncanny ability to lose fights when I have 5 lvl 3 grunts and my opponent has 4 lvl 3 grunts. It's a skill I'd like to lose.

Also, I'd like to know when at 12/2 I always peon stop (assuming I have a neighbour). At how many grunts should I start attacking? Because, it is only common sense that if I dont attack soon, I will die because my neighbour will have such a strong economy.

And another thing about that situation is as follows: when either 12/2 is choked by my opponent and we have equal #s of grunts, there is no point in attacking. So, do I throw up a GT, CT, build a cat, axers, or just more grunts. Or do I throw up a defensive GT and go for lust? Towers don't do any good unless needed.

>ACK< So many questions, so few answers!
hmmif they're choked at 2 you can just choke it yourself so they're stuck then rush to lust.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:06 pm 
Doritoe

Usually when im attacking with grunts I start off by patroling into them (unless they have choke), then if I can i try to select mayb 2 or 3 grunts close to 1 of the enemies grunts and target it by right clicking. Also try to patrol RIGHT b4 u hit his group, if u do it too early they might get scrambled up. If u can, hit the side of their group with least grunts. Back off if u are at a disadvantage and try to get a good control over them.

Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:46 pm 
Soth

right when my grunts hits my opponents, at that very moment I know whether im going to win or lose; unit control is necessary in certain situations, say 4 grunts are trying to kill a tower with peons repairing it; in such a situation, good unit control will win the battle, and poor unit control will lose it. stand ground, so your hitting the tower, and when the peons come to repair it, your hitting the peons, but not chasing them around while the tower hits your grunts.

common sense should tell you if he has more units than you, retreat; you can do things such as trying to lure a bulk of grunts away from the main battle with only 1 or 2 of yours; or if you have less grunts, pull away until he stops watching, and kill the grunts dragging behind the rest, away from the pack, or whatever.

I've tried clicking around to hit the unit with the least hitpoints, but it doesnt seem to make a huge difference in my gameplay;

I think ORKinman said that sc/bw will really improve your unit control

Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
JiGGa_MaN

yeah but SC has a sweet feature with the "attack move location" or whatever, when you click attack and a location to move to, they will atack anything they see en-route. in war2, if you arent careful you will lose those moving units, since they will return home with patrol, it isnt feasible.

When attacking, patrol is extremely important.

Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Eradicate

When was the last time you played war2? The attacked button works just like it in sc. You know longer need to use patrol.

Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

im not sure does this "bug" exist with patrol command but at least with attack command.... when you randomly send 9 ogres near the enemy and use the attack command somewhere...if he started a building in that spot where you clicked them (though you didnt see the building) , the dumb fuck ogres attack the building and ignore all troops.

Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:54 am 
JiGGa_MaN

no shit? damn, i am surprised i didnt notice that. What this done with bnet, or with a bnet update?

Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
]\/[esSiah

quote:
Originally posted by Eradicate
When was the last time you played war2? The attacked button works just like it in sc. You know longer need to use patrol.

I use patrol from habit. I have it hotkeyed on 'r' and 'r','g', and 'e' do almost every command with my hotkey layout. It is a comfortable layout; the fingers don't get cramped in an unnatural position.

I've not bothered with the new attack command. What happens when you arrive at the designated spot. Do they still attack units?

Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:05 pm 

[quote="]\/[esSiah"]

quote:
Originally posted by Eradicate

I use patrol from habit. I have it hotkeyed on 'r' and 'r','g', and 'e' do almost every command with my hotkey layout. It is a comfortable layout; the fingers don't get cramped in an unnatural position.

I've not bothered with the new attack command. What happens when you arrive at the designated spot. Do they still attack units?[/quote].

How do u create ur own hotkeys?

Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:46 pm 
Hackao not logged

Edit the file war2dat.mpq with an MPQ editor. The hotkeys are stored in "stat_txt.tbl"

Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:51 pm 

i think ash made a post a long time ago about 12/2 wars... do that it works for me fairly well... when peon stopping attack with your first 4, if he's choke target a center one, and repeat, you'll come out even. In minor grunt wars the key is in targeting specific grunts, even if you only have time in a seven grunt group to have three of them target one guy and then another.

Post Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:06 pm