FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

shin splints
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SoCzNedoK

shin splints

anyone had these before?

I'm a somewhat active runner, I've been doing about five 5k races a year and twice a year I do a 6 mile obstacle course (usmc mud run). I try to run like 3 miles a week on saturdays if I have time.

I did an 8k race two weeks ago and hadn't run in a few weeks before I did it (also gained about 10 pounds over the past 6 months) and ended up with really sore shins afterwards. I've never had any kind of injury from running, so this is really weird to me, now when I'm on my feet for more than a couple hours I can feel the muscles around my shins getting inflamed.

I've got my 6 mile obstacle course coming up on saturday and I'm trying to decide if I should do it or if I am going to mess up my shins more if they haven't had enough time to heal, anyone have any suggestions? i really look forward to this race every year.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
woofy

fatty

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:45 am 
terror-kahn

i had them for years while i was in the army. same deal... they never had a chance to heal.

sprints made them flare up more than anything. really the only thing i did was a few calf type stretches, take some asprin before i ran, then run until they didn't hurt any more and try not to stop running until you're done... because once you stop running its almost impossible to start running again lol

http://www.youtube.com/ClanAbsoluteSynergy

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Sypher

Re: shin splints

quote:
Originally posted by SoCzNedoK
anyone had these before?

I'm a somewhat active runner, I've been doing about five 5k races a year and twice a year I do a 6 mile obstacle course (usmc mud run). I try to run like 3 miles a week on saturdays if I have time.

I did an 8k race two weeks ago and hadn't run in a few weeks before I did it (also gained about 10 pounds over the past 6 months) and ended up with really sore shins afterwards. I've never had any kind of injury from running, so this is really weird to me, now when I'm on my feet for more than a couple hours I can feel the muscles around my shins getting inflamed.

I've got my 6 mile obstacle course coming up on saturday and I'm trying to decide if I should do it or if I am going to mess up my shins more if they haven't had enough time to heal, anyone have any suggestions? i really look forward to this race every year.

Are you wearing new shoes? Improperly fitted shoes can cause shin splints

Also, make sure you are stretching properly before and after each run. Doing some leg strengthening can help as well. Even just doing ankle circles throughout the day can strengthen the muscles around your shins and reduce likelihood of shin splints.

Edit: It is also possible that you could have stress fractures. They are painful and are very similar to shin splints. They take a LONG time to heal and doing any kind of high impact activity could delay recovery and possibly worsen the situation. Might be worth going and getting some X-Rays.

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:19 am 
SoCzNedoK

My shoes are somewhat new, i've had them for less than a year, I've probably only put about 100 miles on them running.

I think i'm just going to wrap my legs up and hope for the best on saturday. Don't think its a stress fracture from what i read online, at least i hope not. i ran around the block today just to see how it was healing, hurt a little while i was running but afterwards put a little ice on them and they were fine the rest of the day.

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
GaNz

stretch your calves

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:59 pm 
Aerasal

stretching doesn't do anything fyi

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:46 pm 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal

stfu retard

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:10 pm 
GaNz

quote:

Yea, every professional athlete on the planet does it for no good reason.

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 pm 
Aerasal

retards, stretching isn't going to affect or prevent shin splint pain.

quote:
Originally posted by GaNz
quote:

Yea, every professional athlete on the planet does it for no good reason.

not every professional athlete does it and even if they did that doesn't mean it's effective. btw, stretching isn't the same thing as warming up.

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:29 pm 
Jon;

this is a dumb thread anyways, you're thinking about running 6 miles when you have inflamed shin soreness? that's how chronic problems begin

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:26 am 
Axolotl

I've had them on and off for many years.

I'd recommend:

- Finding time to let them heal. A couple months when you don't have to do any running or high impact exercise. I don't think you can continue to run and get them to heal at the same time. I was never able to.

- After you let them heal: do exercises to strengthen both your calves and the muscles on the front of your shin (google it).

- Never do any running without significant warm up and stretching. I do both now and haven't had any problems in the past year.

- If the problem persists, you might actually need to change your running style to so there is less impact caused by your stride
Note: The changing stride info was told to me by someone else who had shin splint problems, and that's what they said they did, to finally get rid of them.

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Lightbringer-

AXO READ YOUR PMS...TY

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:33 am 
Lightbringer-

AXO READ YOUR PMS...TY.

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:33 am 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl

Never do any running without significant warm up and stretching. I do both now and haven't had any problems in the past year.

bro, did you read the thread?

btw he obviously has pain simply because he ran a decent distance without having done anything for weeks. really doesn't matter what else he tries to do beforehand. and there's no evidence that stretching prevents injury, soreness, helps muscles heal, or really does anything besides increase flexibility. it may even slightly reduce performance.

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:39 am 
Axolotl

I read the thread. Stretching has helped for me. This was all my personal experience with shin splints, minus the changing the running style, which was a comment someone else made to me.

Lightbringer, I read the PM. That's ridiculous Razz, and I'm not going to do that.

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terror-kahn

shin splints are hairline stress fractures in your shins from what i understand.

once you have shin splints, stretching is not going to get them to go away. the only thing that will get them to go away is 4-6 weeks of letting the stress fractures heal.

the trick to not getting them in the first place is making sure you're running in good shoes that aren't broke down and yeah, stretching BEFORE you get them.

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Lightbringer-

quote:
Originally posted by Axolotl

Lightbringer, I read the PM. That's ridiculous Razz, and I'm not going to do that.

Just because you are a real nice guy, Im not going to say "fuck you asshole" Smile

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:37 am 
SoCzNedoK

update: did the race, used KT tape for my shins and they were pretty much pain free the whole race and afterwards too. if anyone wants to do a fun 5k in charlotte nc on october 18th i have like 6 free passes, its called Insane Inflatable 5k. hit me up

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:23 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by terror-kahn
shin splints are hairline stress fractures in your shins from what i understand.

once you have shin splints, stretching is not going to get them to go away. the only thing that will get them to go away is 4-6 weeks of letting the stress fractures heal.

the trick to not getting them in the first place is making sure you're running in good shoes that aren't broke down and yeah, stretching BEFORE you get them.

It is damage to muscles/tendons/etc. hairline stress fractures in the tibia do result in the same symptoms as shin splints tho.

Anybody that says stretching isn't needed is full on retard. Go play basketball without stretching/warming up. Enjoy cramps and sprains.

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:57 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
quote:

It is damage to muscles/tendons/etc. hairline stress fractures in the tibia do result in the same symptoms as shin splints tho.

Anybody that says stretching isn't needed is full on retard. Go play basketball without stretching/warming up. Enjoy cramps and sprains.

stretching and warming up are two completely different things even though you grouped them together. and I guess scientific research and no evidence of something occurring are full on retarded.

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 pm 
terror-kahn

once you already have shin splints, its too late to start stretching from my experience. the damage is done and the only thing to make it better is rest and time

be proactive and stretch before you get them so that you hopefully never do

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:46 pm 
Sparkz102

Re: shin splints

quote:
Originally posted by SoCzNedoK
anyone had these before?

too much
got good shoes?

Post Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:24 pm 
Sypher

quote:
quote:
quote:

stretching and warming up are two completely different things even though you grouped them together. and I guess scientific research and no evidence of something occurring are full on retarded.

Lol. Please share this scientific research that states stretching doesn't help prevent injuries.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:29 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lol. Please share this scientific research that states stretching doesn't help prevent injuries.

uh well 5 secs of google and a reddit search finds lots of stuff

http://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/19y4mx/stretching_stop_giving_bad_advice/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/outdoors/outdoor-activities/8328694/Stretching-does-not-prevent-injuries.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4619394/ns/health-fitness/t/cdc-stretching-doesnt-prevent-injuries/#.VDis4xY0_S8

the last two aren't links to actual studies but they do reference them and people that certainly seem qualified.

My father is a Clinical doctor with a PhD in physiology and he claims that there is no peer reviewed articles in any of the major sports physiology publications that suggest that stretching in any form prevents sports related injuries. (he emphasises this, says stretching does help recovery from injury). Is there anything out there other than anecdotal evidence that proves him wrong?

No evidence to support injury prevention. Cochrane reviews (considered the gold standard in evidence-based practice in human health) on the subject: Cochrane 1 Cochrane 2
Neither review shows evidence to support the use of stretching in injury prevention.

One study has actually shown impaired 1 mile performance in pre activity stretchers vs non stretchers: Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research

Probably not what you were looking for but he is correct...

oh but you did it in gym class and continued to do it so you know it's very effective

Post Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:11 pm 
Jon;

quote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/19y4mx/stretching_stop_giving_bad_advice/

top comment

"Seems the general consensus is stretching is not helpful if you do it infrequently but clearly there are benefits for those who stretch more often- flexibility is one aspect of fitness, after all.

Also, I stretch after runs because it feels good"

He is right and it does feel good and loosens you up for a workout, you wouldn't know that.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:22 am 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
quote:

top comment

"Seems the general consensus is stretching is not helpful if you do it infrequently but clearly there are benefits for those who stretch more often- flexibility is one aspect of fitness, after all.

Also, I stretch after runs because it feels good"

He is right and it does feel good and loosens you up for a workout, you wouldn't know that.

i did say it increases increases flexibility and that's if you do it regularly. we're clearly talking about injury prevention and the effectiveness of pre work out stretching. "loosens you up before a workout". lol, yes if you do it regularly you'll be in general more flexible. doing it once right before a work out does nothing besides a placebo. you're just a retarded idiot like usual though that doesn't grasp this.

you're right though, I wouldn't know that. I'm just a massively obese nerd that plays war2 all day. I wouldn't know about working out, lol. not like the magnificent Jon, the expert of the push up and burpee.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:10 am 
Jon;

quote:

stretching and warming up are two completely different things even though you grouped them together.

lol

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:44 am 
Aerasal

yeah, that's what I thought

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:47 am 
Jon;

this still isn't close to his stupidest posts, i think the hockey thread about how Canada is good at hockey because of European ancestry takes the cake.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:50 am