FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Dark Souls 2 review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Shotgun_

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
rofl, i killed quelaag and then accidentally bought the wrong pyromancy and wasted 20k souls on great fireball

Lol, sounds like someone mocking nerds, but it isn't.

The game actually sounds really good..but complex, I am getting simple in my old age. Is it RPG?

Post Sat May 10, 2014 12:51 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun_
The game actually sounds really good..but complex, I am getting simple in my old age. Is it RPG?

its an action-rpg, it has stats and character progression and loot and all that stuff but combat requires some more reflexive/twitchy stuff like dodging and blocking attacks, countering, etc. this vid can give you a decent feel i think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc2go1SUD1s like basically yeah you'll want to level up and get better loot so you can hit harder like an rpg, but at the same time if you can't dodge or block a big fucking hammer you're going to die no matter what level you are

its sorta complex, and not just complex but obscure, it doesn't really hold your hand too much to explain anything and kinda leaves it up to you to actually read your item and ability descriptions and see what your equipment does. it also is missing more "modern" things like quest arrows and really clear instructions for sidequests and secrets, at the same time though the game is pretty good about pointing you in the right direction and giving you clues (though there are some secrets that are just bullshit). it has really good exploration feel

its pretty challenging compared to most games these days (though i think its a little exaggerated how hard it is) and i think most of the challenge comes from stuff like that, the game sort of has that old school design philosophy of "you're probably going to have to try this section and die a few times before you figure out how to handle it" and there's no save anywhere/quicksaving (which would absolutely RUIN this game heh). tbh these days i'm not as into twitchy stuff but i can put up with it in this game because the combat is good and requires you to think and use smart tactics, the feeling when you get past a tough section is just so satisfying because you really have to earn it, and some parts can be hard or frustrating (fuck blighttown) but almost every time i die i can see how it was my own fault and not some bs game cheese

oh and it has really fucking cool multiplayer co-op and PvP mechanics
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sat May 10, 2014 8:39 am 
ArchAngel

Post Fri May 23, 2014 7:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

that pic is me in sen's

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri May 23, 2014 7:23 am 
ArchAngel

8bit dark souls lol

Post Fri May 23, 2014 7:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

im excited to meet the big cat. i havent played in a cpl weeks though because i started playing ps2 jrpg's i started 5 years ago and never beat

quote:

Post Fri May 23, 2014 7:30 am 
ArchAngel

quote:
that pic is me in sen's

yesss! love that you're makin progress tho. That place is creeeeepy as fuck.

Post Fri May 23, 2014 7:30 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

what's the best way to prevent getting knocked off ledges? i've read suggestions to get poison arrows and cheese it but i like to avoid cheesing if i can help it. i tried armoring up so i have a lot of poise so the arrows/snake guys can't knock me around as much on the ledges but they're so narrow it doesnt help a whole lot. i wondered if maybe there's any useful pyromancies? i was going to check that out because i beefed up my glove on a whim but i think part of the reason i took a break was i kept thinking about going all the way back to the bottom of blighttown again (even with the shortcut open now i hate the place) and having ptsd flashbacks. and i accidentally picked the wrong dialogue option for the pyromancy guy at firelink shrine so now hes gone and i can never buy flesh sweat, fuuuuuuuuuuuu

quote:

Post Fri May 23, 2014 7:59 am 
ArchAngel

lolllllll. FromSoftware are assholes. "Oh you dont want to learn about Pyromancy? Fuck you then peace out"

Really he leaves if you talk to the lady in Blighttown who has a 'more advanced' understanding of Pyromancy as him.. and when you talk to him again he asks you for more information about her.. If you give it to him, he sets out to kill her and leaves Firelink. If not though, he stays put.

Sen's is great first playthrough. Cheesing enemies in there I really believe is what the developers intended.. the first snake mob on the bridge if you lure him with an arrow can get hit by the swinging guillotine. and I love that it doesnt kill you if you fall from there it just lands you in mud with demon gollums all over the place. (rusted iron ring ftw)

My first playthrough though I was a cleric.. and I used FORCE all over in this place.. It's just a flash pushback that sends enemies flying to their doom.. high poise would be good as well since the pushback is a bitch. but really there's only about 3 or beams you have to be really careful on in here.. and only 2 have an enemy on it. (the 3rd is at the top and ambushes you with lightning from a platform/ledge where you cant reach at the very top.. How fun). just take your time until you make it outside.. once up top and outside find that hidden bonfire and you should be smooth sailing from there.

Post Sun May 25, 2014 9:13 am 
BanMe

I'm in on Dark souls now as well. Currently on the gaping dragon in the depths, but before that I had accidentally wandered all the way over to the darkroot forest and basin. The butterfly bitch made me rethink things so now I'm back where I should be.

Rollin a bandit with a battle axe. Fun game. I had an awesome moment last night where I was struggling bad, and on top of it all some asshole invaded me. He came at me hard but I actually ended up fucking his shit up and taking his sweet souls. Felt awesome.

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:06 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

if you want to you can go back and do the butterfly where you're at, she's not that hard. once you get the movement and speed pattern of the slow moving homing shot things they're pretty easy to dodge and the other ones don't do much damage iirc. i think that boss is more an endurance thing since if you're melee you have to wait for her to land on the bridge to hit her, so you just have to keep cool and be patient and dodge her shit and shes no big deal. also switch to two-hand when you're wailing on her since you don't have to worry about blocking anything, probably an obvious tip but i forget to do this in the game constantly

enjoy blighttown when you're done with the gaping dragon, lol

quote:

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:09 pm 
ArchAngel

sweet shit! i love killing invaders best feeling. they can look at the YOU DIED While you emote.

dark souls 1 had that down.. you can only be invaded / summon when you're human. dark souls 2 removed that element and you can just get invaded any-fucking-time. which blows. there's certain bell towers that are pvp nightmare hotspots. you find items though that break the links between the worlds or you can just unplug your xbox. but its a pain in the dick. Very Happy i beat dark souls 2 just yesterday and am workin on NG+ there. from software released the DLC trailer also for 2. also ash if you're a STR buidl you can chop off the gaping dragons tail and get a dragon axe. Very Happy chop that shit off.

make sure you pick up DLC for 1 it's cheap -- artorias of the abyss. can actually kill knight artorias and manus the abyss walker. and trade boss souls for his gear / dark bead spell. they have pivotal roles in 2.. the story when pieced together is really epic.

Last edited by ArchAngel on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:26 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah i havent played ds2 but i dont like that change with invading. i don't hate the idea of getting invaded whenever so much as i really liked how in ds1 humanity gave you a cool risk/reward dynamic. like you could play it safe and stay hollow but you're on your own, or you could go human and be able to summon people to help you, but also run the risk of getting jacked

also i don't know what platform he's playing on but if he got the pc version it includes all dlc, at least mine does

quote:

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:30 am 
ArchAngel

i didnt like it at first either. 2 is harder than 1 in that respect. plus the hollowing process eats at your max health every time you die so death is a real bitch in 2. so if you struggle at a part it gets harder, and harder, etc with each death. You can find a ring that makes each death 'count' less against you.. Ring of Binding.. fairly early though. (4 ring slots in DS2)

late in the game though you find a shrine, and if you're out of human effigies (humanity) you can pray to restore your humanity any time for free. There's no kindling bonfires or anything like that though. Game starts you with 1 estus flask and says fuck you. i dont want to spoil too much cause its worth buying and playing for sure.

i just want to say dont let the invasions discourage you in 2. it's really only a few areas where it's 'soon as you step in prepare' -- and the pvp community generally stays put to those environments. Bell Keepers is a PvP covenant. so that's why the bell towers are littered with that. Reason being is when you join the bell keeper covenant you get a ring, that if you're wearing, with high chance of summons to the bell towers whenever an invader (newbie) enters the zone. you can still enjoy the game without that worry is the point. but yeah, you will get invaded and die. sometimes even 2v1.

Last edited by ArchAngel on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:37 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

oh yeah don't worry i'm not discouraged from buying it from that or anything, i'm mostly just waiting until i beat ds1 i guess. at the rate i'm going (haven't played in like 3 weeks) i'll probably be able to grab ds2 for like 10 bucks on a steam sale by the time i beat it

quote:

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 am 
Fast Luck

quote:
what's the best way to prevent getting knocked off ledges?
elliot rodger account spotted
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:49 am 
ArchAngel

get back in there & beat it down! i like reading your updates haha.

you're still at Sen's? or Anor Londo??

or you can watch some pretty awesome let's plays of Dark Souls also.. my favorite LP'er "Christopher Odd" has an extremely entertaining blind run that's worth watching.

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:51 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by ArchAngel
get back in there & beat it down! i like reading your updates haha.

you're still at Sen's? or Anor Londo??

or you can watch some pretty awesome let's plays of Dark Souls also.. my favorite LP'er "Christopher Odd" has an extremely entertaining blind run that's worth watching.

i'm still at sen's, just haven't played in awhile. i was playing persona 3 for awhile and i just haven't played anything the past few weeks out of being busy and lack of interest :\

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 am 
BanMe

quote:
sweet shit! i love killing invaders best feeling. they can look at the YOU DIED While you emote.

dark souls 1 had that down.. you can only be invaded / summon when you're human. dark souls 2 removed that element and you can just get invaded any-fucking-time. which blows. there's certain bell towers that are pvp nightmare hotspots. you find items though that break the links between the worlds or you can just unplug your xbox. but its a pain in the dick. Very Happy i beat dark souls 2 just yesterday and am workin on NG+ there. from software released the DLC trailer also for 2. also ash if you're a STR buidl you can chop off the gaping dragons tail and get a dragon axe. Very Happy chop that shit off.

make sure you pick up DLC for 1 it's cheap -- artorias of the abyss. can actually kill knight artorias and manus the abyss walker. and trade boss souls for his gear / dark bead spell. they have pivotal roles in 2.. the story when pieced together is really epic.

I tried to chop off the tail but it didnt happen. I hit it a bunch of times, guess I needed to be further down. Gaping dragon down, gammie like 25k souls, nice! Then I went to the blacksmith to upgrade everything, now I'm in hog heaven on the forest doing runs for 10k souls per 5 minutes. Easy as pie. Figure I'll dot his for awhile then go back to blight town.

How far through the game is that? Gaping Dragon dead on one end, and in the forest on the other. Hydra was kind of a bitch to kill, it tries to lure you into the depths with that last head. But I got the fucker. Really have to play that one carefully so u don't get the insta-death fall

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:24 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

forest is good to farm before blighttown because all the purple mosses from the tree guys are going to be really useful there, though you go through them really fast. i had between 20 and 30 and i was running out by the end pretty bad, i'm bad at games though. but yeah make sure you have a lot of those because if you run out deep into blighttown going back to the female undead merchant to buy more is such a pain in the ass (unless there's someone closer who sells them but i dont think so)

quote:

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:16 am 
ArchAngel

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe

How far through the game is that? Gaping Dragon dead on one end, and in the forest on the other. Hydra was kind of a bitch to kill, it tries to lure you into the depths with that last head. But I got the fucker. Really have to play that one carefully so u don't get the insta-death fall

hmm.. you're about 15% (10 if you have the DLC) through the game. grats on gaping (he is optional if you have the master key but yeah the souls you get from him are worth it) Hydra is a good kill also. dragon scales upgrade dragon-weapons and raise your rank in the dragon covenant if you choose to join them later in Ash Lake.

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:47 am 
BanMe

quote:
quote:
i like ds1 a lot but i got stuck at the beginning of the undead parish with the armored rhino thing for awhile because im a noob and when i went back to play it again recently it crashed on startup. this is on PC btw. i uninstalled it but haven't gotten around to reinstalling and seeing if it works. how do you beat that guy btw?

i've heard similar things about ds2, that kinda sux. isn't the ds2 team different from the ds1 team? still seems pretty top-tier compared to most releases these days though

ds1 undead parrish is a bitch 1st time around i died to that fucking thing atleast 10 times. but if you go up top there's an alluring skull on the bridge (above the rhino where the 2 archers are) and you can throw that skull in to the fire next to the rhino and he walks over and burns himself to death. you can also plunge attack him from the bridge and that pretty much 1 shots him. so when i went to play again I did the skull + plunge to finally be able to proceed there.. best of luck if you get it workin again! epic game.

Got the Rhino on the 2nd try. He tried to ram into me, I just so happened to be standing near a fire, and dodged out of they way. He rammed straight into the fire and disintegrated. It was pretty fuckin cool.

I'm currently at SL level 53 - thanks to that secret door area in the woods and the character wraiths. Just finished Blighttown - somewhat of a pain duet o falling and shit, but kind of fun and not too hard. The power leveling definitely helped. I was dissapointed there was no boss? Although I did get invaded by a "dragon spirit". I kicked his ass, then he came back again as his normal character and I kicked his ass again. So far haven't lost a PvP invasion.

Next big boss is the wolf with the sword, who is just awesome. The Art Direction for this game/series is genius.

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:13 pm 
ArchAngel

Quelaag is the boss of Blighttown. the fire spider thing. you have to kill her to ring the 2nd bell of awakening. I think the dark spirit down there is Maneater Milfred she's actually an NPC who invades. If you kill her you get a chance to get her butcher knife, and you can summon her for the boss fight. the graywolf Sif is bad ass as well. You can actually get that sword.. That's the Greatsword of Artorias. it's a pretty decent weapon.

go back and kill Quelaag and then head to Sen's Smile That's where Nuke left off I think. Sif is required to beat the game but you should be pretty good at SL54 to do any of that content.

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:01 pm 
BanMe

quote:
Quelaag is the boss of Blighttown. the fire spider thing. you have to kill her to ring the 2nd bell of awakening. I think the dark spirit down there is Maneater Milfred she's actually an NPC who invades. If you kill her you get a chance to get her butcher knife, and you can summon her for the boss fight. the graywolf Sif is bad ass as well. You can actually get that sword.. That's the Greatsword of Artorias. it's a pretty decent weapon.

go back and kill Quelaag and then head to Sen's Smile That's where Nuke left off I think. Sif is required to beat the game but you should be pretty good at SL54 to do any of that content.

Beat quelaag on the first try, pretty easy. I then ventured down into the demon ruins and took out the Ceaseless Discharge. I found it interesting that you can't dodge his attack when not locked on, but when you lock to him it is really easy to dodge. I'm back in front of the gate that opened after I rang the bell, putting it down for now. Currently using the Black Knight Sword for most of my slaying, with a longbow for ranged, crystal shield or +5 knights shield.

I'm pretty much not using any guide or walkthrough, but I am googling some of the items I find so that I don't waste them - such as Quelaags soul that I just got. According to Steam I've played for about 25 hours

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:38 pm 
BanMe

Uhg where the hell is the bonfire in Sens? I made it all the way to the roof with the giants and I'm out of potions with like 20% health. Quit the game in a safe spot for now

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:51 pm 
ArchAngel

yea def. hidden up there! have to drop off there past where the message is and the bricks open up

Awesome job so far its pretty impressive if you can beat Quelaag the 1st time due to her bomb attack. I died several times to that bitch.. Sad keep that shit goin though. you're almost to Anor Londo.. game opens up a ton after that place.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:46 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i died 3-5 times on her and i'm pretty sure every time was that stupid fucking attack

quote:

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:59 pm 
stoned@chayliss

quote:
i died 3-5 times on her and i'm pretty sure every time was that stupid fucking attack

im kinda pissed off IRL I cant find that quote about you being stoked or whatever about a game and then being embarrassed by it....so ill use this instead

quote:
Originally posted by $hazm
I remember my very first day playing Warcraft 2 on heat. Must have been some time in 98, maybe 99. I log into the lobby and you know who was there trolling? It was you, ghost-nuke. I got into a fight with you before i ever played my first game of Warcraft 2.

For 11 years you harassed, bullied, and belittled me every chance you got until you finally got enough people around you to join in the bullying that you were able to drive me away from a game that for a long time was very important to me.

It wouldn't surprise me for one second to learn that you are a part of this. I think you are capable of anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

ok

quote:

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:50 am 
BanMe

quote:
ok

Finished Anor Londo tonight. Sitting around SL 57 or so. I keep pumping souls into equipment instead of leveling up, now I got all this boss equipment I can't use till I get way more strength. Having fun though. Probably spent at least 2 hours tonight on the boss of Anor Londo, pain in the balls. Got the hang of it eventually though and smote those fuckers down

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:12 am