FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Hearthstone
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
stoned@chayliss

Hearthstone

anyone play this....if so lets discuss the game!

quote:
Originally posted by KingHillBilly
I respect players like Chayliss
quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Scrub

Whats your handle? Started with Pokemon when I was a lil kid n grew into Magic on XBox like 15 years later.

Strategy ftw! Blizz gonna take over Magic? jeez.

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:02 pm 
Allstar

i've been playing since early closed beta, its pretty fun but for fans of magic there doesn't seem much variety here. Will get much better when the card library gets larger I think. Arena is pretty good though. Also sucks all you can do is 1v1, more game types is def. needed, 2hg was my fav in magic.

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:49 am 
turtleman@can

yeah this game makes me miss playing magic.. I'm having fun w/ it but wish it had a larger card limit

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:44 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

ive been enjoying hearthstone for the last few months. I don't have many legendaries or epics since I haven't bought packs (I actually did buy $10 worth of packs to get the only-available-to-beta-purchasers legendary).

I just play arena all the time while I am building my collection up, I'm not amazing, but I am good enough to sustain my arena runs through arena rewards.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm 
Allstar

yea, i figured out the hard way literally the best way to win alot in arena is draft lots of high efficiency creatures (like chillwind yeti) and only aoe removal if any. single target removal is just generally bad in arena. except for some things like perhaps mind control since i started doin that i avg 7-8ish wins, barring someone getting a really lucky draft you can just nonstop spam cost efficient creatures and they rarely have enough removal to deal with it. also if the game goes really long and theres only a few cards left in your respective decks, if his last cards are spells, and yours are creatures, odds are good you win easily

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm 
Scrub

My quest today was win 2 games as Shaman or Warlock so I made a Shammy deck. I don't like the class, but after going 14-0 so far after already winning a shit load in a row as Mage (MMR has to be high right now) this thing is incredible. It's basic and doesn't require many cards, I'll post it later and I want someone else to try it out. I have a few rare cards in there, but it's mainly a basic beatdown control deck.

Basic. I haven't ever bought shit. I have about 200 games and I only Arena'd the last 50. Wish I woulda started off Arena. That 100g a pack with no recourse sucks. I make that back and my pack every time now.. wasted so much gold.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:47 pm 
Scrub

Ive just been playing too many control decks lately. As long as I choose my starting hand right I'm good as board control won't be too much of an issue. A rush down deck would kill this thing I think, but I've only faced a couple and they didn't play their hands right at all.

This game is like Chess, so you clowns in the other forum should dl it.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:20 pm 
turtleman@can

I don't think this game is like chess at all. the outcome of games is either completely random, or my opponent doesn't know what they're doing, or they just have tons of rare cards that have a much bigger impact on the game.

It's fun and I'm enjoying it in spurts but there's a pretty low skill ceiling. Once you figure out what sequence to play your cards in and have seen all/most of the cards and get an idea of what to expect from different decks, then all you can really do is keep your fingers crossed and pray that the randomness of the game falls in your favor

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

its not as complex as something like magic, but it certainly has a high skill cap.

Its not like chess, its like poker. You can cry that the man across the table won because he had more chips than you (i.e. more cards) or you can cry that he got a luckier draw, and both can be true in the short term, but in the long term better players play better, and win more.

The skill is not in learning what all the cards do, that just takes time and practice, the skill in poker is not learning the ranking of hands, its not even in learning the probabilities at play, that also just comes with repetition. Where the skill ceiling gets raised is the ability to more accurately predict your opponents plays based on less and less information. A better player sees a murloc played on turn 1, and knows fairly instantly that his hard removal (polymorph, hex, etc) is going to be devalued as a murloc deck probably is not carrying very many high drops--thus he may decide to use a polymorph on a 4 or 5 cost minion instead of saving it for the ragnaros that will never come. He also knows that his board-wiping spells and taunts will be of much higher value.

so tl;dr hearthstone=poker, not chess

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:43 am 
Allstar

@turtleman cards help but aren't that important like they are in magic.

One fairly well known player (Trump) got to rank 1 with basic cards.

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:23 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

a few notable streamers have made it to legendary with free/very cheap decks.

these guys play all day and are also very very good players, with a good feel for the pulse of the metagame.

i'd like to rank up in the ladder, but i only play for like an hour per night, and I enjoy that hour much more when im playing arena. I love drafting decks, I love the excitement of "buying into" a tournament where you may or may not win your buyin back. I am starting to have a decent collection of cards so I may go for a high rank on the ladder after the next reset. For now I have no motivation to play ranked unless I am currently on a winning streak, once the streak is over I get bored real quick

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:57 pm 
Scrub

Yeah, it is more like Poker then Chess. I was just trying to get people to try it out, with all the Chess talk. I will say that every move matters. With limited cards there is always the "right play" and you know you fucked up as soon as its over. I've lost so many times over 1 turn. As of late I'm like 50-10 in constructed play. I've yet to play a ranked match, idk why.. waiting for more cards I guess, I hate losing.

Tillermans Perfect Play

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:06 pm 
Scrub

If they add discard the game would change completely. Too many people waste cards and the way to win is being patient and controlling the board. I dont have to worry about losing my hand.

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:14 pm 
Scrub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRw193yrjbE

Anyone remember him from Clan Kali, War3 days?

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

yes i used to play with axslav and strifecro in warcraft3 pretty regularly. i used to think that strife hacked @ war3 but probably not

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:07 am 
Allstar

quote:
Originally posted by Scrub
If they add discard the game would change completely. Too many people waste cards and the way to win is being patient and controlling the board. I dont have to worry about losing my hand.
]

once you hit rank 10 or higher you dont see much control actually. some warrior control and the occasional druid control, but a TON of murloc warlock, midrange warlock, and aggro hunters

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:17 pm 
stoned@chayliss

tmang do you want me to buy you some packs?

quote:
quote:
quote:

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
stoned@chayliss

dropbox wont let me display like that other kids ss of his deck ? Embarassed

all my quests are for priest....i started a deck from scratch....went bigs and taunts...then went back and took out a few of the bigs and taunts for a few spells and clerics

first game the guy did me a favor and let my 0/1 gebblin gadget live and it got me 3 cards....really set me on my way of domination....even without that mistake he would of lost...just woulda took longer..... maybe gebblin and the tauren with taunt/enrage need to be replaced....

i have 600 dust i might make 3 cards for replacements

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rafxrsh8nz0kx8o/Hearthstone_Screenshot_3.16.2014.10.50.17.png

link to ss of deck on dropbox

edit #2

i swapped a few cards...MC tauren ect..

got crushed by a similar shamman deck...he just had good hero cards wolves hex lightning... ima stop updating my deck...when i make new deck and go on loss streak i change a card or 2 every game... heh heh

quote:
quote:
quote:

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:51 pm 
stoned@chayliss

i basically bought 2 boxes of cards...

i got 1600 dust now....what legendary should i craft...

quote:
quote:
quote:

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 pm 
stoned@chayliss

this was more neater .... totally new priest build... coz i bought new toys Embarassed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hujjpb60sn2g1mv/Hearthstone_Screenshot_3.16.2014.21.43.05.png

quote:
quote:
quote:

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:46 pm 
Allstar

that deck is pretty bad to be honest

needs more lightspawn

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:37 am 
stoned@chayliss

quote:
Originally posted by Allstar

needs more lightspawn

yea but once it gets hit if it dont get healed asap its worthless...but can be a cute card if u buff +2 hp or double hp

i had to rofl @ when i used the circle of healing....i had my guys split thier hits so i had more dmg'd guys
i had 2 clerics out and got so many cards it filled my hand and burnt cards up...AND IT HEALED HIS MINIONS TOO ROFL

light spawn i used early when i had no cards...didnt care for it...for some reason i keep geblin in the deck.

since card draws and mana generation (econ) is usually equal and capped...wtf...i like the buzzard w/hunter and cleric with priest. out drawing usually is ftw
quote:
quote:

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:34 am 
woofy

is this like that magic the gathering sequel or somethin

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:26 am 
Allstar

quote:
Originally posted by stoned@chayliss
quote:
Originally posted by Allstar

needs more lightspawn

yea but once it gets hit if it dont get healed asap its worthless...but can be a cute card if u buff +2 hp or double hp

i had to rofl @ when i used the circle of healing....i had my guys split thier hits so i had more dmg'd guys
i had 2 clerics out and got so many cards it filled my hand and burnt cards up...AND IT HEALED HIS MINIONS TOO ROFL

light spawn i used early when i had no cards...didnt care for it...for some reason i keep geblin in the deck.

since card draws and mana generation (econ) is usually equal and capped...wtf...i like the buzzard w/hunter and cleric with priest. out drawing usually is ftw

ancient watcher can be cute w/ silence for priest as well.

probly stronger in druid but still

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:02 pm 
Allstar

quote:
Originally posted by woofy
is this like that magic the gathering sequel or somethin

not quite. its very similar. its new so card pool is very limited, but the main difference is no land draw mechanic, you simply gain a new 'mana' each turn so no mana screw potential. And you can attack creatures or the enemy hero any time you want (except if they have 'taunt' creatures, you have to take them out first.)

and 30 card decks and 2 of each copy vs 60 and 4

also has quite a few RNG mechanics especially the legendary's that in my opinion keep it from ever being as competitive as mtg was.

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:04 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

last night me and my girlfriend decided to try to get legendary one one account together, since neither of us plays enough ladder to do it on our own. We got to rank 12 last night, so it was a good start.

We've been playing a midrange control paladin, with tirion, ragnaros and faceless manipulator as the finishing moves.

Games are long and slow, truesilvers carry us through the early mid game and saving equality+combo card for board clears helps us deal with whatever later. We run 2 guardian of kings for a total of 12 heal, that combined with our big minions and late game finishers has been successful.

With the nerf to tinkmaster, this fucking tirion fordring just goes absolutely ham. Hex and Polymorph shut him down hard, so we have to try to bait out those cards against mage/shaman. I feel like our win rate in games where Tirion doesn't get hexxed/polymorphed/silence is about 100%, that ashbringer is just too much. Even if he gets silenced you've got a 6/6 on the board to do some damage with.

When tirion gets silenced/hexed, our other big win condition is ragnaros, whom we like to faceless manipulate if he survives.

Rush decks can be trouble if they draw very well and we don't draw into our board clear/heal fast enough, but I find all the non-hunter aggro usually runs out of steam just a bit too early, allowing us to drop a turn 7 guardian of kings and heal back up to safety.

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:54 pm 
stoned@chayliss

i like the rush decks where they have all the murloc epic and legendarys....win on turn 3 with a perfect draw....

quote:
quote:
quote:

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:04 pm 
stoned@chayliss

why dont we all do inhouse games?

me and turtleman have played

quote:
quote:
quote:

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:05 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by stoned@chayliss
i like the rush decks where they have all the murloc epic and legendarys....win on turn 3 with a perfect draw....

i have a warlock murloc deck with all of the murlocs, including the epic and legendary. This deck either wins the game or loses the game pretty quickly. You usually know on turn 4-5 if you're going to win or not

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:42 am