FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Strategy & Tactics

Advice for pros

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Fast Luck

Advice for pros

This information is for top of the line players only. It's important you master the basics before you move on to these little tips and ideas. However, once you find yourself butting heads with the pros and coming up short, this advice will definitely come in handy. I'll impart this knowledge to you through miscellaneous tips.

* Killing your own units does not give you a kill, but killing your ally's units or critters does.

* Runes are a cheap and useful spell. Ogres don't always have 200 mana, but you should always research runes. People get so macro-obsessed that they are completely blind to this cost/benefit payout. How many times have you seen a hasted dk coming your way, but been unable to kill it or pull enough peons quickly enough to prevent a loss? Cast runes in the spot the dk is going to cast from. How many times have you ended up having just one or two ogres in someone's peon line, and they have an army coming in to mop your guys up? Cast runes in the peon line between you and the incoming ogres. Just remember you have runes, and you'll learn and get used to using them in more and more different scenarios.

* Make an axer once in awhile. Just in case. You never know when it will come in handy.

* You already know repairing buildings makes them finish faster. One peon speeds up construction by a certain amount, and each additional peon repairing increases the build speed by slightly less than the previous one. Did you know this is true for upgrades as well? I never see people take advantage of this. For example, if you attack your own stronghold down to lower health, you are then able to repair it while it is upgrading to fortress, and your fortress will finish much faster.

* Learn how to communicate. I know with shared vision, it's easy to assume that your ally is seeing and thinking what you're seeing and thinking, but that's not always the case. If you're a fast typer, you can say an awful lot in a short amount of time. You can tell them you're going to dual if clear, you can tell them where you want to attack before you do it, you can tell them what number beer you're on, you can tell them you're forting, whatever. These are helpful things for your ally to know, even though they may be able to see it anyway, as it will let them adjust or start considering adjustments and options much earlier without requiring them to be keeping an eye on what you're up to all the time.

more when I think of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:16 pm 
~Szajna~

Re: Advice for pros

quote:

* When your playstyle is painfully predictable, make sure to ALWAYS smurf in tournaments.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terror-kahn

does runes kill invisible mages?

http://www.youtube.com/ClanAbsoluteSynergy

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
terror-kahn

quote:

* You already know repairing buildings makes them finish faster. One peon speeds up construction by a certain amount, and each additional peon repairing increases the build speed by slightly less than the previous one. Did you know this is true for upgrades as well? I never see people take advantage of this. For example, if you attack your own stronghold down to lower health, you are then able to repair it while it is upgrading to fortress, and your fortress will finish much faster.

thats not true.. i just tried it against a computer with stronghold (-,-)

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by terror-kahn
does runes kill invisible mages?
Of course.
quote:
Originally posted by terror-kahn
quote:

thats not true.. i just tried it against a computer with stronghold (-,-)
how do you know it didnt work? it works
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:52 pm 
terror-kahn

i brought my hall down to about 30% health with grunts.. then clicked upgrade to stronghold. i watched the speed at which it was upgrading, then i put 8 peons repairing it... stronghold continued upgrading at same speed.. then removed peons just to be sure... still, upgrade speed remained constant whether peons were repairing or not.

definitely doesn't work.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 pm 
Lightbringer-

I didnot test it and I would assume the hold upgrade is just a troll from blid. The time taken to upgrade is in 'x' game cycles and I don't think repairing it will help any.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:29 pm 
Winchester

Runes is an amazing spell, I always use it! When i'm lusting i have a number of guys to lust everyone, while I leave a number of guys for runes, and it works for me usually, i've seen 9 ogres coming at me and I only had 4. I threw down as many runes as I could in the middle and then the person I was vsing just ran right into them and had like 2-3 ogres left after that which I cleaned up.

It's a 1000 gold worth spending. they'll always be a time where an ogre is sitting and managed to gather 200 mana, and using it effectively once in a game is all you need to pay off, anymore is just a bonus.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:30 pm 
Winchester

I still remember this one game I had with feature where we both destroyed each others bases and he had a bunch of grunts and I had a couple mages, I had no farms to make mages so I just researched all the spells on my hidden mage tower. It was such a funny game, I ended up winning because of flame shield of all things, combined with slow. I remember we couldn't stop laughing on teamspeak after what just took place. Wish we had that on warvid/insight. speaking of, Feature where the fuck are you mate? Razz

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:39 pm