FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Video Card Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
stoned@chayliss

Video Card Thread

my 9800gtx+ is holding strong still. runs swtor well.

i got a 600W psu
not looking to crossfire, coz my 2nd pcie isnt as fast as the first, i forget the ratio not gonna bother 2 min to look it up.

i dont know why they make so many models of video cards when it seems 1 out of 10 is worth a shit

name off a couple mid-upper cards and models. no highends id rather wipe my ass with cash than overspend needlessly Laughing

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

im confused, if your current one is running well and you dont want to crossfire why are you looking for a new video card?

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 am 
GaNzTheLegend

I have a 6970 and it rapes everything on 1920x1200.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:41 pm 
Kith-Kanin

gtx 400 is decent mid range right now... but yeah, like GN said... why?

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

I'm running a 6770 and it pretty much rapes everything out there. just go to videocardbenchmark.net and use their searchable list, filter it by best to worst and see the prices.. Looks like the 6870 is probably the most bang for your buck, it's ranked 13th best card on the planet and it's 159.99

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:41 pm 
smurf_king

Re: Video Card Thread

quote:
Originally posted by stoned@chayliss

i got a 600W psu
not looking to crossfire, coz my 2nd pcie isnt as fast as the first, i forget the ratio not gonna bother 2 min to look it up.

i dont know why they make so many models of video cards when it seems 1 out of 10 is worth a shit

name off a couple mid-upper cards and models. no highends id rather wipe my ass with cash than overspend needlessly Laughing

crossfire is term for ATIs

yours is nvidia, it's called SLI @ Nvidia.

btw, ATIs are junk. good choice havin an nvidia card

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 pm 
Soilent Green

Re: Video Card Thread

quote:
Originally posted by stoned@chayliss

i got a 600W psu

Don't let PCI-E bandwidth scare you out of SLI/Xfire. There is no noticeable performance decrease from using x16/x8 or x16/x4 or x8/x8 or x4/x4.

Don't SLI 9800GTX+ now tho. You can get a much better single card today for around the same price as another 9800GTX+ or less.

Tman is right, 6770 is cheap and decent.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102938&Tpk=6770%20flex
That is the best version of that card performance wise.

6870 is slightly better for slightly more (~10 fps difference depending on game)

If I were to buy a card right now, I would get a GTX 560 TI 448 core edition.
It's $290, but it out performs both of the cards listed above by leaps and bounds. You wont have to buy new for a long while.

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:52 am 
_Ataxia_

let me build you a computer, i'll charge 5 percent of total price of parts if you're building a gaming rig =)

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:24 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by _Ataxia_
let me build you a computer, i'll charge 5 percent of total price of parts if you're building a gaming rig =)

see if space is interested, 5% of what hes spending on a laptop will have you set for life
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:40 pm 
Jon;

chay used his modem to beat over the head of his wife

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:10 pm 
foonat

i have this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625 cheap and awesome

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:02 pm 
Soilent Green

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
i have this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625 cheap and awesome

That card is the same price, and less powerful than all of the cards mentioned above. Don't buy that.

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:20 pm 
$paCe

what's better, a gtx 580m or dual gtx 560m sli whateversz. Also what are the differences in the mhz of ram? What exactly does that effect?

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:40 pm 
smurf_king

quote:
Originally posted by $paCe
what's better, a gtx 580m or dual gtx 560m sli whateversz. Also what are the differences in the mhz of ram? What exactly does that effect?

Read this and all articles involved

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/AMD-ATI-Chips-Comparison-Table/131

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 pm 
$paCe

how do i read the article?

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:
Originally posted by _Ataxia_

see if space is interested, 5% of what hes spending on a laptop will have you set for life

lol

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 pm 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by Soilent Green
quote:

That card is the same price, and less powerful than all of the cards mentioned above. Don't buy that.
ATI sux so no

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:12 am 
Soilent Green

quote:
quote:
quote:

ATI sux so no

I'm a Nvidia fan for life, but this really doesn't apply anymore, as the only reason to hate ATI was driver issues. These days even Nvidia makes shitty drivers from time to time, but generally they're pretty much equal.

It's a matter of preference, but 550Ti is an underwhelming card for the price.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:44 pm 
foonat

what's 115 bucks and better?

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:00 pm 
stoned@chayliss

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
I'm running a 6770 and it pretty much rapes everything out there. just go to videocardbenchmark.net and use their searchable list, filter it by best to worst and see the prices.. Looks like the 6870 is probably the most bang for your buck, it's ranked 13th best card on the planet and it's 159.99

eggcelent...thanks tmang~!

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
stoned@chayliss

to those wondering why upgrade... my fps keeps dropping as the graphics in sw tor gets buffed slowly. from weekend beta..to release... to 1.1
i was forcing everything on in the nvidia panel coz the graphic options have been barebones. aa etc.. wasnt even in the menu for release. i went from the 50s to the 30s in low pop areas. in high pop its pretty choppy. but some of its the games fault. i want max settings sans shadows.

release to 1.1 patch in the first month it went from disapointing graphics to better than wow imo.

i havent looked at hardware for like 2 years or however old this thing is, needed pointed in the right direction. i once paid alot for a fx5500 and it was absolute garbage...id rather not spend 150ish for no gain or loss

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:17 pm 
Soilent Green

quote:

Have you ever actually got the mail-in-rebate? I've spent thousands of dollars at newegg and I've never once received a rebate from any manufacturer. Most of the reviews you will read are people complaining about MIR, and most hardware enthusiast forums use the MIR as a joke. So it's not really $115, unless you're one of the 3% of people that actually get a rebate.

In it's ~$140 price range, give or take $20, there are a few better choices. It's really not a great card for gaming at all. It will run games, but it's not really what he'ss looking for. 9800 GTX+ is essentially a GTS 250, so a 550 TI is pretty much a DX11 side-grade card, not really an upgrade worthy of purchase if you're looking to boost performance.

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:11 pm 
Shotgun_

ATI > Nvidia

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:41 pm 
smurf_king

PPSM > SHOTGUN

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 am 
foonat

quote:
quote:

Have you ever actually got the mail-in-rebate? I've spent thousands of dollars at newegg and I've never once received a rebate from any manufacturer. Most of the reviews you will read are people complaining about MIR, and most hardware enthusiast forums use the MIR as a joke. So it's not really $115, unless you're one of the 3% of people that actually get a rebate.

In it's ~$140 price range, give or take $20, there are a few better choices. It's really not a great card for gaming at all. It will run games, but it's not really what he'ss looking for. 9800 GTX+ is essentially a GTS 250, so a 550 TI is pretty much a DX11 side-grade card, not really an upgrade worthy of purchase if you're looking to boost performance.
well my first build was 3 years ago and i got every MIR i sent in (i think there were 3 then). i haven't gotten the ones back yet from this build (one for the mobo, one for the card) but that's typical because they take forever. 140 isn't 115 so i'll consider my card the best one for the money

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 am 
Soilent Green

quote:
quote:
quote:

well my first build was 3 years ago and i got every MIR i sent in (i think there were 3 then). i haven't gotten the ones back yet from this build (one for the mobo, one for the card) but that's typical because they take forever. 140 isn't 115 so i'll consider my card the best one for the money

cool

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:09 am 
RamJam

quote:
quote:

Funny I've sent in about 20 mail in rebates from newegg and received them all. If you actually do what the rebate tells you to do you will almost always receive the rebate. I've never heard of anyone in real life not receiving a rebate that they actually sent it in. It just really takes a long time to receive them. Longest I've waited is 4 months but I still received it.

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

well the card i got from newegg requires a upc code and i literally have no upc on the box lol

quote:

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:25 am 
RamJam

wow really? that sucks

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:47 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

theres a few barcodes but they look like just the manufacturer's own not a UPC. i looked all over the whole thing. its only for $10 but still...

quote:

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:50 am