FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

OCCUPY Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Is the Occupy Wall street movement important?
YES
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Not really
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
what is that?
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by Rosencrantz
quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
Rosencrantz thinks he has these really well developed opinions but somehow doesn't realize all these opinions happen to be milquetoast liberal status quo bullshit. Ah, you see, the occupy movement is just like the tea party. the occupy movement is wrong to oppose a central bank and derivatives (do they even?? they dont have any official platform) because.. mumble mumble.. (because these things currently exist so im just going to assume Educated Serious people support them and throw out a bunch of terms) *digs up an old undergrad econ book, finds the title on amazon, links to it*

Blid thinks he has the answer: every opinion made by people who have studied the topic for more than an afternoon is status quo and wrong. Super position.
have you read any books about the crisis that didn't blame reckless, stupid, and parasitic behavior by AIG, Goldman, etc. for the crisis?

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:11 am 
Rosencrantz

quote:
quote:
quote:
Rosencrantz thinks he has these really well developed opinions but somehow doesn't realize all these opinions happen to be milquetoast liberal status quo bullshit. Ah, you see, the occupy movement is just like the tea party. the occupy movement is wrong to oppose a central bank and derivatives (do they even?? they dont have any official platform) because.. mumble mumble.. (because these things currently exist so im just going to assume Educated Serious people support them and throw out a bunch of terms) *digs up an old undergrad econ book, finds the title on amazon, links to it*

Blid thinks he has the answer: every opinion made by people who have studied the topic for more than an afternoon is status quo and wrong. Super position.
have you read any books about the crisis that didn't blame reckless, stupid, and parasitic behavior by AIG, Goldman, etc. for the crisis?

The crises was because of recklessness, but that doesn't damn the whole system.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:34 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

wow another pity non-answer, in awe at your mastery over this subject

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:42 am 
Rosencrantz

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah

Let me guess -- did you just own me again using no facts?

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
quote:

Let me guess -- did you just own me again using no facts?

yes, actually
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

though its more like you're owning yourself with all this posturing and then doubling down when people expose you as a total rube instead of apologizing or even just quietly disappearing

quote:

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:48 am 
RamJam

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:
Surprised to see this thread from you pb. Anyway the biggest problem is that it's not a real democracy, money wins elections and money comes from the current elite looking to increase profits and entrench themselves. therefore this shit isn't ever gonna change. the answer is to take the money out of politics but those quacks in the supreme court think that would violate free speech so basically the country is broken

Taking the money out of politics won't solve anything either because then the people in power will just get brand new Mercedes for their birthdays from Oil executives who are their "old friends". There's literally no way to stop bribes and kick backs.
I don't think it's about bribes and kickbacks as much as it is about power, especially when it comes to congress and presidential elections. It's not like many of the higher ups can get away with taking bribes and kickbacks.

The point is politicians want to get elected. In order to get elected, they need to raise money for a campaign (90% of U.S. elections are won by the campaign that spends the most money). In order for rich people/companies to give money to a politician for a campaign, they need to know that the politician they donate to shares their best interests. Politicians are charismatic whores, they will say what people want to hear but as soon as they get elected they have to payback the people who got them there.

Getting money out of politics would be very effective because then we would be able to elect representatives that serve the best interest of the people, not just the rich and corporations. Some people want to lead us to believe that we the people have the right to choose who we vote for, but in reality no candidate without a huge financial backing has a chance to win any federal election these days.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 am 
ilyich[as]

This thread needs more name calling. Dirty hippies! Actually, I stink....

Has anyone ever gone to any of the Occupy movements?

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:03 am 
Sparkz102

occupy wall street demonstrates how corporate media has control over the individual voice within a nation; censorship

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:11 pm 
Paper_Boy

There are some key distinctions to recognize, the Occupy Movement and the Tea Party are separate movements. Tea party is more concerned with government over spending and lack of accountability in an overly invasive government. They want to avoid us becoming the next Greece, which is quite possible 15.5 trillion in debt, this year alone the projected deficit shortfall is 1.1 trillion. The scary thing is it would be significantly worse but the few Tea Party reps elected insisted upon automatic govt spending cuts of 1.2 trillion over 10 years which will be taking place shortly. This isn't rocket science, if you cant afford something don't pay for it with borrowed money. I think its funny how all of congress criticized them as anarchists at the time but they got big govt to act more responsible in the end. AFter winning their first real battle it's apparent, government doesn't have the appetite or inner resource to make such sacrifices and show downs routine every year, especially during an election year. The more practical approach would be for the government to pass a constitutional amendment so the onus isn't on congress each year. It's simple, prioritize all government spending and if their is a revenue shortfall the lower priorities get cut.. Realistically are government has come to the point where it cant have the lowest tax rate, toughest military and health care for all. As a nation we need to decide what is most important and minimize the emergence of secondary priorities until its feasible. Obviously we would still alot discretionary spending each year for tornadoes, earthquakes and approve borrowing for unforeseen expenditures with a 3/4 majority. It's simple but it makes sense given are current predicament and trajectory

The Occupy Movement is more concerned with how corporations spend money and the implications that go with that. (Lehman Brothers) The main concern is there are not adequate checks and balances to regulate the power of an entity you can't really hold accountable. They can buy people, laws and trample over your rights , you can be tied up for years in litigation and after facing a legion of a lawyers maybe one day you can say justice was served. It's easy to see how these two separate movements directly impact one another. The president and congress are not fully in charge, even when we cant afford moronic programs like: The Ad council PSAS against violence on television

They supply $175 million a year so the Department of Veterans Affairs can maintain buildings it doesn’t use, including a pink, octagonal monkey house in Dayton, Ohio.
They pinch pennies so a federal grant program can distribute $1 million to zoos to post bits of poetry to plaques on zoo premises.
They cushion the federal coffers so the Monkton, VT, Conservation Commission can build a “critter crossing” for $150,000.
They file honest tax returns so the Internal Revenue Service can deliver $112 million in undeserved tax refunds to prisoners who filed fraudulent returns.

Basically the Lobbyist rules supreme! Nobody is trying to vilify corporations, they are just outdated. Historically, corporation charters in America were granted for a limited time and were revoked promptly for violation of law. Owners and managers WERE responsible for criminal acts committed on the job. The current corporate structure derives from the gilded age 1 of the most corrupt times in America. Corporations were then granted limited liability. The idea is preposterous, i'm inflicting harm but i have so many investors i'm not really accountible for my actions. Morality and big businesses are not mutually exclusive and if they were , they should cease to exist as an entity. People try to demonize foxcon for having workers make iphones for 1.60 an hour but in actuality that is 5 time the money they can make as a farmer. And for a female the alternative is prostitution many times. The problem is forcing your workers to work 16 hour days 7 days a week or exposing them to a neurotoxin to dry the screens cuz it dries 14 seconds faster than water increasing the number of units per hour you can crunch out. All comapnies should be subject to the same uniform rules as not to hinder competition by exercising morality.

The most notorious convicted super lobbyist Jack Abramoff has some good ideas on how to rid corruption.
-Ban donations for lobbyists who receive public funds
-stop revolving door - completely ban for life former public servants from a post associated with lobbying or government spending, even as a "consultant"
-no gifts Period, even meals
-Term limits for congress
- bar reps for proposing or voting for projects in their individual states
- repeal 17nth ammendment - corporations cant hide behind personhood

Sounds like a good start although I think its too easy to conceal kick backs. I like being able to see the links between a candidate and the donors, makes it easier to spot impropriety. I don't believe sheer money alone is enough to buy an election, you still have to resonate with the voters. Look at Meg Whitman, spent 160 million vs Jerry Brown's paltry 23 million for governor. Although I think cash is enough to drown out the other messages from ever reaching voters, in Florida you couldn't buy an add if you wanted to, the elections had bought up all the air time. Even with an 11% approval rating many congressional incumbents were still reelected. It's amazing a few tea party candidates were still able to be heard and let in. I think a fair way to handle the problem is use the model from the NBA, a luxury tax on the top grossing candidates that split revenue and air time to other candidates that qualify with a minimum 2,000 signatures. This would help give everyone a voice . The less politics becomes about survival the more time politicians will have for ideas , debate and panel forums with constituents.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Jordan4385

the occupy movement was started by a bunch of illiterate retards." OH NO LOOK AT ME, I GOT A DEGREE IN PAINTING STUFF NOW I CANT FIND A JOB SO LETS HATE ON SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WHOSE TAXES PAY MY WELFARE." izzle.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:15 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Jordan4385
the occupy movement was started by a bunch of illiterate retards." OH NO LOOK AT ME, I GOT A DEGREE IN PAINTING STUFF NOW I CANT FIND A JOB SO LETS HATE ON SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WHOSE TAXES PAY MY WELFARE." izzle.

you, on the other hand, sound like a really smart person

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:17 am 
Jordan4385

care to elaborate?

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

it was sarcasm. i actually think you are not that much more intelligent than the average occupy protester, possibly even of lower intelligence, and have little room to talk!

quote:

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:19 am 
Jordan4385

yeah i meant "care to elaborate on your sarcasm" dick. What exactly about that makes me unintelligent?

I am a high school drop out making more than most people with masters degrees. You sleep in the bed you make. Maybe if they weren't so busy with "THE MOVEMENT" they would do something productive and try to get a decent job.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:23 am 
Jordan4385

OH MY FAVORITE OCCUPY SIGN: "I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A JOB AINT ONE". LOL seriously. what a bunch of retards.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

lol jordan you spent years as a total shiftless loser and eventually lucked out into some software job somewhere, don't bullshit me. glad you're so quick to forget your struggles and instantly become a fuck you got mine shithead the minute you get a tiny bit of success though, you'll fit in great here in america

quote:

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 am 
Jordan4385

quote:
lol jordan you spent years as a total shiftless loser and eventually lucked out into some software job somewhere, don't bullshit me. glad you're so quick to forget your struggles and instantly become a fuck you got mine shithead the minute you get a tiny bit of success though, you'll fit in great here in america

LOL lucked out with a job. ur hillarious.

1) I don't have some "software job". im not your average software guy bro.

2) if i "lucked out" i wouldnt be so in demand right now. I can literally go anywhere in the world and still get a job in the city.

3)I worked very hard for many years to get where im at. Maybe if you occupy fucks spent less time being homeless and smoking pot on the city corners holding up retarded signs like "YOU HAVE 2 PRIVATE JETS AND I SLEEP IN A CAR" you might be able to get somewhere in life.

4)You have no idea the kind of adversity i've faced the past 5 years, and still managed to come out on top. no excuses for u ppl.

I dont give a fuck about freeloading hippies bro.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

lol @ white middle-class resentment

sorry you have a complex about the fact that you'll always be a shiftless bum at heart, and now a bitter one to boot. its sad when people translate their personal insecurities into political beliefs

quote:
4)You have no idea the kind of adversity i've faced the past 5 years, and still managed to come out on top. no excuses for u ppl.

I dont give a fuck about freeloading hippies bro.

look at yourself. these are the words of a hateful, bitter man. you cant buy happiness bruh no matter how hard and fast you cling to those fat stacks

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:41 am 
Jordan4385

you bet your ass im fucking bitter.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:43 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
you bet your ass im fucking bitter.

i hope one day you learn to deal with your personal problems rather than taking your bile out on earnest, sincere, good-hearted people doing what they can to build a better world

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 am 
Jordan4385

fuck god and fuck you and fuck everyone else. ( excluding friends and family).

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
fuck god and fuck you and fuck everyone else. ( excluding friends and family).

suit yourself, you're the one who has to live with that

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 am 
Jordan4385

with what?

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

your hate, bitterness and misanthropy

quote:

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 am 
Jordan4385

fucking dam straight i have immense amounts of hatred. u think that bothers me for some reason?

Last edited by Jordan4385 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
fucking dam straight i hate immense amounts of hatred. u think that bothers me for some reason?

i think your posts in this thread answer that question well enough. i don't think you're able or willing to give an honest answer anyway

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 am 
Jordan4385

whats not honest? i'm an honest man.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:54 am 
Jordan4385

my own hatred doesn't bother me, its you worthless fucks who bother me

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:56 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
whats not honest? i'm an honest man.

quote:
my own hatred doesn't bother me, its you worthless fucks who bother me

nah, you're not fooling anyone. i do wish you luck in dealing with your problems though, if you're really as successful as you claim to be you have no good reason to be so consumed in anger and bitterness

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am