FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

OCCUPY Movement
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Is the Occupy Wall street movement important?
YES
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Not really
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
what is that?
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Paper_Boy

OCCUPY Movement

You opinionated ass holes pipe off about every other subject, haven't heard much from you guys about the Occupy Movement. I think Matt Damon said it best "If the Democrats think that they didn't have a mandate — people are literally without any focus or leadership, just wandering out into the streets to yell right now because they're pissed off," The scope of the movement is so massive they have yet to truly identify their platform or the underlying core issues. I think they're doing a good job of raising awareness and starting a dialogue though. I know some people involved in the movement and they are still eager to hear fresh ideas on what the biggest systemic problems we face. What do you think are the main fundamental problems in our capitalistic system? Potential solutions are welcome, but this is more about identifying the problems we face.

Some examples that stick out to me:
-Stagnant wages for the middle class for the past 30 years while gdp has more than quadrupled and the top 1% wages have risen 275%. With inflation it makes it harder for some people to just get by now.

- Lehman brothers CEO walking away 541 million for mismanaging the company and putting thousands of people out of work, leaving account and shareholders with scraps.

-Countrywide CEO liquidating his stock in the company right before it went bankrupt

- None of this shit being illegal cuz they pay the lobyists to make the laws or have a revolving door between the top tier positions and key govt regulator roles.

- Wal Mart taking out life insurance on its employees and when one dies they make a profit and give the families nothing.

-Goldman Sax buying up the worlds aluminum and storing it in Detroit with no purpose other than creating an artificial shortage, driving up the price of aluminum 20% for the world and slowly sell it off to people.

-Economic eminent domain

- China undervaluing its currency , prolonging the exploitation of cheap labor

- Moral hazard - handing out mass bonuses or stock cash outs then declaring bankruptcy

- Leveraging assets 24-31 times actual equity with poor risk management geared towards short term incentives

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
passwillworkeasycompany

i heard theres lots of shit in that area so watch your step.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:15 am 
Kith-Kanin

The movement is VERY important, but the question you should be asking is if it's effective?

What really get's me is how 30-40 years ago, people could save up and buy a house. Now you NEED a mortgage. Wages haven't increased with inflation, but profits jsut keep going up and up and up for these big companies.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

Surprised to see this thread from you pb. Anyway the biggest problem is that it's not a real democracy, money wins elections and money comes from the current elite looking to increase profits and entrench themselves. therefore this shit isn't ever gonna change. the answer is to take the money out of politics but those quacks in the supreme court think that would violate free speech so basically the country is broken

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Surprised to see this thread from you pb. Anyway the biggest problem is that it's not a real democracy, money wins elections and money comes from the current elite looking to increase profits and entrench themselves. therefore this shit isn't ever gonna change. the answer is to take the money out of politics but those quacks in the supreme court think that would violate free speech so basically the country is broken

Taking the money out of politics won't solve anything either because then the people in power will just get brand new Mercedes for their birthdays from Oil executives who are their "old friends". There's literally no way to stop bribes and kick backs.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
There's literally no way to stop bribes and kick backs.

yes there is, you liquidate the class doing the bribing
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:26 am 
_Ataxia_

did anyone else see that "Daily show" episode where they sent him in to interview the different classes that are part of the occupy movement? he goes and talks to the guys in charge and they are all suit and tie rich guys and then they talk to the 90 percent of the occupy movement and they are all like straight up gutterfish looking for a spot to camp and party =D

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:07 pm 
foonat

a paperboy post without rampant racism, who knew it was possible

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:21 pm 
swift0ne

movement is crap, needs violence.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 pm 
Rosencrantz

occupy wallstreet=tea party

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:49 pm 
Fast Luck

Stunning insight, Rosencrantz.

quote:

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:04 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Rosencrantz
occupy wallstreet=tea party

an idea so brave and controversial that its been trumpeted from every major media outlet for the past four months
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:21 am 

i read the other day that some of the longer standing occupy protests... the ones that haven't been shut down yet at least... have been attracting rats. there are huge families of rats setting up shop right next to and among the occupy people. such a civilized crowd, they are.

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Location: Texas
i read the other day that some of the longer standing occupy protests... the ones that haven't been shut down yet at least... have been attracting rats. there are huge families of rats setting up shop right next to and among the occupy people. such a civilized crowd, they are.

*takes big gulp of chemical sugar sludge while wearing clothes made by literal slaves* indeed...

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:31 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah

*takes big gulp of chemical sugar sludge while wearing clothes made by literal slaves* indeed...

I mean, we can really expand on this idea...

*Makes derogatory comment on computer parts made by slave labour in capitalist society and communist society.

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:

I mean, we can really expand on this idea...

*Makes derogatory comment on computer parts made by slave labour in capitalist society and communist society.

ya but the difference is i don't have pretensions of being more civilized than people who are fighting to change those things just because i sit on my ass all day enjoying a lifestyle sustained by slavery and murder?

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 am 
Rosencrantz

quote:

Just like the tea-party is anti-intellectual (racist, against government, doesn't understand basic facts about healthcare) so is the occupy movement (doesn't understand banking, doesn't understand derivatives, offers no monetary policy because they're not educated enough). Seriously, how difficult is it to learn finance? Would any of them understand it if I told them that a large financial body makes monetary policy more effective?

We should support intellectuals. We should empower the board of economic advisers with plenipotentiary abilities to enact their policies. Intellectual merit gives better results than ideas made by anti-intellectual movements.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:19 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
quote:

Just like the tea-party is anti-intellectual (racist, against government, doesn't understand basic facts about healthcare) so is the occupy movement (doesn't understand banking, doesn't understand derivatives, offers no monetary policy because they're not educated enough). Seriously, how difficult is it to learn finance? Would any of them understand it if I told them that a large financial body makes monetary policy more effective?

We should support intellectuals. We should empower the board of economic advisers with plenipotentiary abilities to enact their policies. Intellectual merit gives better results than ideas made by anti-intellectual movements.

idiot

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm 
Rosencrantz

quote:

idiot

high-school dropout

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:22 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

wow what a burn, are you going to call me out on not participating in enough extracurriculars too

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:23 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

but can you enlighten us peons about good monetary policy and why derivatives are so great?

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:29 pm 
Rosencrantz

Some derivatives should be controlled, of course, but a large financial body makes the economy more stable to shocks. When the government changes its fiscal or monetary policy, its effect will be amplified by the derivatives. (Derivatives react more strongly to changes in expectation.)

I suppose that if you don't want to learn the oh-so-complicated craft of statistics, you can more or less get the gist from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Memos-President-through-Macroeconomics-Policymaker/dp/0815777779

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:18 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Some derivatives should be controlled, of course, but a large financial body makes the economy more stable to shocks. When the government changes its fiscal or monetary policy, its effect will be amplified by the derivatives. (Derivatives react more strongly to changes in expectation.)

I suppose that if you don't want to learn the oh-so-complicated craft of statistics, you can more or less get the gist from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Memos-President-through-Macroeconomics-Policymaker/dp/0815777779

ok so you posted some econ 101 shit and linked to a book on amazon, aka you dont know what you're talking about

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:28 pm 
Rosencrantz

It's called a reference. They're pretty common in academia.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 pm 
Fast Luck

Rosencrantz thinks he has these really well developed opinions but somehow doesn't realize all these opinions happen to be milquetoast liberal status quo bullshit. Ah, you see, the occupy movement is just like the tea party. the occupy movement is wrong to oppose a central bank and derivatives (do they even?? they dont have any official platform) because.. mumble mumble.. (because these things currently exist so im just going to assume Educated Serious people support them and throw out a bunch of terms) *digs up an old undergrad econ book, finds the title on amazon, links to it*

quote:

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 pm 
Rosencrantz

quote:
Rosencrantz thinks he has these really well developed opinions but somehow doesn't realize all these opinions happen to be milquetoast liberal status quo bullshit. Ah, you see, the occupy movement is just like the tea party. the occupy movement is wrong to oppose a central bank and derivatives (do they even?? they dont have any official platform) because.. mumble mumble.. (because these things currently exist so im just going to assume Educated Serious people support them and throw out a bunch of terms) *digs up an old undergrad econ book, finds the title on amazon, links to it*

Blid thinks he has the answer: every opinion made by people who have studied the topic for more than an afternoon is status quo and wrong. Super position.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 pm 
Fast Luck

These stupid occupy protesters, channeling their anger over a global financial crisis caused by wall street and banking at wall street and banking. they just don't have the sophisticated understanding of finance that i do. "derivatives."

now let's just trust the powers that be that caused this catastrophic meltdown to right the ship.

quote:

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:46 pm 
Fast Luck

you see, it doesn't matter that they're right about who's to blame, they just haven't taken enough college courses on economics to be out here protesting... not like me, i still have this old paperback i got assigned in econ right here.

quote:

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 pm 
Rosencrantz

Mirror in the image of Fox News from last year:
Wow, this snowpocalypse means that there's no global warming.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:50 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Mirror in the image of Fox News from last year:
Wow, this snowpocalypse means that there's no global warming.

that makes no sense lol. you're so bad at this you can't even just regurgitate the talking points right

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 am