FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Star Wars Old Republic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SarX

Star Wars Old Republic

I have this game but I'm having a hard time getting into it.. is it worth spending the time on?

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:32 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

haven't played it, but its a mmo + bioware so no. you're welcome

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:34 pm 
Soilent Green

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
haven't played it, but its a mmo + bioware so no. you're welcome

lol what do you have against bioware?

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:46 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

dragon age 2

i'm kinda kidding but they're just kinda real generic rpg guys. i'm playing through bg2 again right now tho

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 pm 
SarX

quote:
dragon age 2

i'm kinda kidding but they're just kinda real generic rpg guys. i'm playing through bg2 again right now tho

I was seriously thinking of playing bg2 again instead.. I hear there are some decent mods that make it harder. You got ToB installed Ghost?

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:20 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i've installed the gibberlings 3 fixpack/ease-of-use, unfinished business, and uh i think one other minor one for tweaks. i might install ascension but i dunno, i've never beat the last fight in ascension before its hard as fuck. and i haven't played in a long time so i'm kind of intimidated of installing it, or the difficulty mods. tactics i've heard is just ridiculous, sword coast strategems is supposed to be hard because of the really tough AI mostly but like i said, haven't played in awhile. and yeah i have tob installed. trying an archer right now, if this goes well and i don't hate bg2 by the time i'm done maybe i'll do some overpowered shit like cleric/ranger or kensai/mage with scs installed

quote:

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:40 pm 
Aerasal

is this the new mmo thats coming out soon? do you have beta access or something? i thought it wasn't released yet.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:48 pm 
Aerasal

ive seen very little of this game but from what i have seen it looks extremely generic and no different than wow. only mmo ish game i know about that i have any interest in atm is guild wars 2. i thought you should know this.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:50 pm 
smurf_king

play icewind dale 2 instead

its very good (and very hard too), also from black isle studios

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:52 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

iwd2 is cool too i might give that another go again soon, only played through it once. kinda boring compared to bg2 but maybe i'll play with less chars in my party so i can level up higher

quote:

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:55 pm 
Allstar

im playin retro games im cool down with bioware!!~~~!!

but nah i played the beta for star wars and i got bored really fast. It seems to contain alot of kill x this pick up y that, but there is some story involved.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Allstar
im playin retro games im cool down with bioware!!~~~!!

i liked me2 and dragon age origins too you big dumb baby. sorry you convinced yourself that dragon age 2 was a good game

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:07 pm 
Allstar

i dont need omfg epic perfect game to enjoy it, i enjoy war2 which is a unbalanced broken ass game. What you choose to believe is a good game or not doesn't change anything. Dragon Age 2 taken on its own merits is a very solid good game. If The other games didnt exist and you didnt have something to compare them to that is better, you wouldn't even think of dissing it. :O

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

no dragon age 2 is trash. and lol @ the idea that i only like perfectly balanced games or something. bg2 is one of the biggest cheese games in history, there's a billion different ways you can break it. dragon age 2 isn't bad because you can break it, i don't even know if you can. its bad because the game isn't fun enough to make me want to fuck around with the gameplay to see what i can do with it like in BG2

almost no game is as good as bg2 in that respect but da:o and me2 made up for it in other ways, da2 is shit all over

reminder that major dungeons in DA2 are literally dungeons you've already been through in the game but with different doors unlocked

quote:

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 pm 
GaNzTheLegend

this game is garbage.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:06 pm 
BanMe

I feel like mmo's are like boy bands. They are all chasing the same gimmick, and it's out of date now anyway.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:28 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

mmo's sounded like the coolest thing ever when i was first reading about ultima online in 1997. how far we have fallen...

quote:

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:30 pm 
Aerasal

an mmo needs to do something differently than wow because that game is sooooooooooo fucking stale. i'd rather gouge my eyeballs out than ever play it again or anything even remotely similar. that chuck norris commercial with the chuck norris jokes is so fucking fitting i wonder if it was partially intentional.

i had a lot of hopes for the fps mmo games mortal online and darkfall, but those both turned out to be complete garbage. too bad. shadowbane was still the most fun i ever had playing a video game by far. you could kill anyone and loot them anywhere apart from a couple of safe zones where people traded. it was such a griefing game but i loved it. a game like that will likely never come again though as the crowd it appeals to is too small. people get owned and rage quit never to play again. that game's population dropped drastically just a month or two after it came out and continued there after. and with wow being so successful, now every mmo that ever comes out is going to have its meaningless pvp as a model where you can't loot people and they lose nothing when they die.

edit: another awesome thing about sb, when you died you went back to w/e city you were bound to which could be on the other side of the map. so when you killed someone in a spawn it often meant they were gone. wasn't like wow where there was never any point ever in killing anyone since they could just rez themselves again right next to you.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:55 pm 
SarX

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king
play icewind dale 2 instead

its very good (and very hard too), also from black isle studios

I'm getting Icewind dale 2 next..wanted it for awhile, mainly because it looks so much like bg2 and I enjoyed icewind dale 1.

Star wars kotr is an old game, it's single player rpg not mmo.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:24 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

IWD2 has the best implementation of the infinity engine and the best character creation and development system (3E instead of shitty 2E) of all the infinity engine games. unfortunately its all dungeon crawling...still rly fun though

quote:

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:12 pm 
turtleman@can

The only good MMO out is lord of the rings online imo

Not really interested in this game.. It's basically a cross between Mass Effect and WoW. Same gameplay as wow, same storytelling as ME.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:46 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
an mmo needs to do something differently than wow because that game is sooooooooooo fucking stale. i'd rather gouge my eyeballs out than ever play it again or anything even remotely similar. that chuck norris commercial with the chuck norris jokes is so fucking fitting i wonder if it was partially intentional.

i had a lot of hopes for the fps mmo games mortal online and darkfall, but those both turned out to be complete garbage. too bad. shadowbane was still the most fun i ever had playing a video game by far. you could kill anyone and loot them anywhere apart from a couple of safe zones where people traded. it was such a griefing game but i loved it. a game like that will likely never come again though as the crowd it appeals to is too small. people get owned and rage quit never to play again. that game's population dropped drastically just a month or two after it came out and continued there after. and with wow being so successful, now every mmo that ever comes out is going to have its meaningless pvp as a model where you can't loot people and they lose nothing when they die.

edit: another awesome thing about sb, when you died you went back to w/e city you were bound to which could be on the other side of the map. so when you killed someone in a spawn it often meant they were gone. wasn't like wow where there was never any point ever in killing anyone since they could just rez themselves again right next to you.

Shadowbane was fun but the classes weren't balanced well at all. I played an assassin and I literally couldn't kill anything. There was one caster class that could just fly into a city and start wrecking people and unless you were the same class, there would be like no way to stop them.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Soilent Green

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal

Shadowbane was fun but the classes weren't balanced well at all. I played an assassin and I literally couldn't kill anything. There was one caster class that could just fly into a city and start wrecking people and unless you were the same class, there would be like no way to stop them.

Shadowbane was a shitload of fun, a lot of people called that the World Series of PvP. I played up until my guild took over the entire server and everyone quit. I can honestly say that was the most fun I've had gaming. I really don't think people quit because of the griefing though. Even the carebears knew about that before buying it, as everyone had a taste during beta. The developer was forced to release that game early, or not at all, so the release was like early beta. SB.exe crash to desktop error, broken textures, buildings, classes, mobs, mechanics. Ever see someone dupe a shit load of gold or items? It was worse than Diablo 1 for duping. No respec until way late, so people gimped the shit out of their chars on accident if they didn't know wtf they were doing and rage quit. The devs couldn't fix that game fast enough.

As for classes, Assassin was gimped, along with Templar and a few others. Then there were god classes like Confessor and Prelate if built right. I played Healer/Channeler as main, so I was the asshole flying above your city casting AOE lightning bolt and raping entire groups. I also played Thief, which was probably the most fun of all classes.

Fantastic game. Unfortunately it was a failure, and most games that attempt to recreate that experience also fail because of poor development.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 am 
Aerasal

I played sb off and on up until when the servers went offline and it still had all those technical issues and yeah, i had duped gear and resources on numerous occasions.

I don't think griefing in general like killing people or camping their city necessarily caused the population to drop, but I think actually losing your city after farming and working to build it up did. this definitely led to zergs as people were scared to lose anything and often made it difficult for small guilds to keep their city. this was one thing I didn't like about the game. would have been nice to somehow not encourage zergs... not sure how to do that though.

and the game was also never remotely balanced and some builds were effective and many weren't. you had such variety in character creation and building though i dunno how you could ever completely balance every class.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:54 pm 
SarX

KOTR is turning out to be a fun game so far.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:47 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

kotr is a pretty decent game ya. kotr 2 is kinda better though even if its unfinished

quote:

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:47 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
i've installed the gibberlings 3 fixpack/ease-of-use, unfinished business, and uh i think one other minor one for tweaks. i might install ascension but i dunno, i've never beat the last fight in ascension before its hard as fuck. and i haven't played in a long time so i'm kind of intimidated of installing it, or the difficulty mods. tactics i've heard is just ridiculous, sword coast strategems is supposed to be hard because of the really tough AI mostly but like i said, haven't played in awhile. and yeah i have tob installed. trying an archer right now, if this goes well and i don't hate bg2 by the time i'm done maybe i'll do some overpowered shit like cleric/ranger or kensai/mage with scs installed

first few quests were kinda easy so i installed ascension (which won't matter until tob) and most of sword coast strategems, didn't install some stuff that looked really hard (improved liches). i'll let the bg2 krew here know how it goes.

right now i'm rolling with me (archer kit), jan, jaheira and aerie. not sure if i want to go full party or not but probably will for SCS2. definitely going to pick up edwin, was thinking about korgan or keldorn for spot 6. want to keep jaheira but shes not that good as a tank early game :\ haven't played with aerie since my first playthrough, really want to enjoy some cleric/mage cheese, plus my pc is female so i don't have to deal with her annoying romance

other party slots are really up for grabs tho, what do you think sar/the other dudes here who've played this? i'm thinking about keldorn cuz i haven't used him since my first playthrough, he's kinda cheesy but i might need it with scs installed...really wish there were more thief npc's in this game so i didn't have to take jan every time i don't play a rogue

archers are fucking beasts btw...

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:56 pm 
SarX

quote:
quote:

first few quests were kinda easy so i installed ascension (which won't matter until tob) and most of sword coast strategems, didn't install some stuff that looked really hard (improved liches). i'll let the bg2 krew here know how it goes.

right now i'm rolling with me (archer kit), jan, jaheira and aerie. not sure if i want to go full party or not but probably will for SCS2. definitely going to pick up edwin, was thinking about korgan or keldorn for spot 6. want to keep jaheira but shes not that good as a tank early game :\ haven't played with aerie since my first playthrough, really want to enjoy some cleric/mage cheese, plus my pc is female so i don't have to deal with her annoying romance

other party slots are really up for grabs tho, what do you think sar/the other dudes here who've played this? i'm thinking about keldorn cuz i haven't used him since my first playthrough, he's kinda cheesy but i might need it with scs installed...really wish there were more thief npc's in this game so i didn't have to take jan every time i don't play a rogue

archers are fucking beasts btw...

Korgan is a bad ass and he added some flavor to my party. Not sure if you'll have problems with him if you run a good party though. I've never used Keldorn.

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:12 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i use the mod that makes them not fight/leave

korgan owns hard but i use him every game cuz crom faeyr in the off hand with an 0wnage axe in the main hand is easy mode. anyway for now i went with jaheira/keldorn/jan/aerie/edwin. rly magic heavy but seems to be working...

quote:

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:56 pm 
SarX

quote:
i use the mod that makes them not fight/leave

korgan owns hard but i use him every game cuz crom faeyr in the off hand with an 0wnage axe in the main hand is easy mode. anyway for now i went with jaheira/keldorn/jan/aerie/edwin. rly magic heavy but seems to be working...

I've always favored magic heavy groups - after they're all leveled they're nearly unstoppable. Where are you downloading the bg2 mods at?

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 pm