FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Minus turtleman you canadians are pertty damn smart...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
GoldHP

Minus turtleman you canadians are pertty damn smart...

The us is stupid for not doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9INY7XWKujE

and I GIVE props to canada now.

ps I love you ~tmang!

Forget calling Jon a virgin, that would be too nice since he never even touched a girl + he is the biggest faggot ov all time.

Originally posted by EQ
im not really good in english but this song see like really wack..

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:41 pm 
Jon;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=m2AkxPCxt_A

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:17 am 
GoldHP

quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=m2AkxPCxt_A

jews, in canada?

Forget calling Jon a virgin, that would be too nice since he never even touched a girl + he is the biggest faggot ov all time.

Originally posted by EQ

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:25 am 
smurf_king

we have polymer bills since 8 years ago here in Mexico

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:06 pm 
GoldHP

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king
we have polymer bills since 8 years ago here in Mexico

amazing that the US can spend all this money but they can't make a damn dollar that can't be counterfeited.

Originally posted by EQ

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:22 pm 
GaNzTheLegend

The federal reserve is one big counterfeiting machine.

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:03 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by GaNzTheLegend
The federal reserve is one big counterfeiting machine.

if money isn't somebody with power arbitrarily declaring certain objects to be currency by fiat then what the fuck is it

do you actually think gold has some kind of intrinsic value or something

rofl
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:40 pm 
RamJam

Funny that there's people who think dollars should be backed by gold too.

A useless tangible item declared to be a currency by powerful people backed by another useless tangible item declared to be a currency by powerful people.

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:50 pm 
The_G0D

quote:
Originally posted by RamJam

A useless tangible item declared to be a currency by powerful people backed by another useless tangible item declared to be a currency by powerful people.
so is cash?

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:42 pm 
GoldHP

quote:

my mind is blown.

In grade school the shit was marbles, what exactly would you like it to be?

Originally posted by EQ

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:32 pm 
RamJam

not trolling you are just dumb

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:34 pm 
swift0ne

quote:

What do you think it should be backed by (if anything)?

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:17 pm 
Lightbringer-

He thinks bartering should be the standard.

For anything to have value, it should be limited in supply and be accepted as currency or legal tender if you want. Else, we are back to the stone age with bartering.

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:21 pm 
swift0ne

quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-
For anything to have value, it should be limited in supply and be accepted as currency or legal tender if you want.

Fascinating. You should write this shit down.

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:27 pm 
RamJam

idk if that was a joke lightbringer but using paper currency is fine and is much more efficient than bartering.

I think the point of my post was missed. I was poking fun at the fact that a lot of people want the dollar backed by gold as if it has some intrinsic value and a stable world market price when in reality gold is just a useless item that was arbitrarily deemed as currency centuries ago (just like the dollar) and actually has price volatility against foreign currency that is historically much higher than the dollar.

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:33 pm 
RamJam

quote:
Originally posted by swift0ne

What do you think it should be backed by (if anything)?

Nothing, just the expectation that people will still value it in the future. Backing a currency by another volatile asset with no intrinsic value doesn't necessarily make it any safer.

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:39 pm 
swift0ne

So you're saying gold is equivalent to a valueless dollar, or basically equal to that (now) random piece of paper in a crashed economy? Are you sure if the US Market crashed completely and the dollar became useless that I wouldn't be able to trade my imaginary gold to someone of means for things I wanted, even If I had to trade outside of the country and got less value per ounce then I would have gotten pre-crash?

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:49 pm 
RamJam

There were like 3 pages in another thread about the value of gold in a"financial apocalypse." I don't feel like talking about it again.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:04 am 
RamJam

Some economists suggest that barring a domestic financial collapse (with international markets still intact) that an emergency procedure could be used to back the currency by gold. I wouldn't be totally opposed to this idea, but it would only be used as move of desperation. The chances of the U.S. markets collapsing without the international markets collapsing are incredibly low though. As they currently are there's absolutely no reason to have the dollar backed by gold.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:25 am 
swift0ne

A simple yes or no is adequate. Not looking to disagree, just curious on your stance in particular. You seem a little less static in your opinions compared to a lot of the posters on here, so I was curious what you thought.

I want to read that thread!

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:27 am 
RamJam

Well there's usually no simple answers when you are talking about economics. People who use the same exact ideology in every situation are usually just stubborn.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:53 am 
swift0ne

That applied to your previous post, and I realize the answer would be longer with explanation, but I didn't really expect more than just a Y/N.

Though maybe it's use is to be a reassurance for the blind, and so the world goes on. Maybe Believing in unreasonable perceptions to be objective, solid or fair still allows the masses to operate in just about every manner, not just fiat money backed by some gold standard. Perception might succeed or at least heavily influence human reasoning in countless matters.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:29 am 
Lightbringer-

quote:
I was poking fun at the fact that a lot of people want the dollar backed by gold as if it has some intrinsic value and a stable world market price when in reality gold is just a useless item that was arbitrarily deemed as currency centuries ago (just like the dollar) and actually has price volatility against foreign currency that is historically much higher than the dollar.

One thing. Currency without any backing by something, whatever reserve it is serves as a check to keep the value of money. Else, it is easy as shit to print money and this has an inflationary effect.

As to your point of Gold being a useless item, I agree. You must be aware of the diamond water paradox in economics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_value
Also, the bretton woods system is a good read on this topic imo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretton_Woods_system

*removed ()

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:01 am 
RamJam

quote:

One thing. Currency without any backing by something, whatever reserve it is serves as a check to keep the value of money.

I don't agree with this at all. The value of a currency is dependent on the underlying economy and governments that adopts the currency, not what underlying assets are backed by the currency. It's not like following a complete financial failure a government is just going to give up its entire gold supply anyways, and limiting a nation's purchasing power based on how much "gold" a nation has will just create a deadweight loss on the economy.

A strong monetary policy and economy keep the value of money, not gold.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:37 am 
smurf_king

Gold is the most stable currency now, it is, has been for milleniums, and will continue to be. Whoever says otherwise is stupidly informed.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:15 am 
GaNzTheLegend

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
if money isn't somebody with power arbitrarily declaring certain objects to be currency by fiat then what the fuck is it

rofl

I can't believe you are this dumb. Its like saying oil, a limited resource has no value. Of course gold has value. Its very rare and is used in every CPU in the world, not to mention almost every sophisticated electronic device in the world think cell phones, gps systems, calculators, etc etc. It has extremely beneficial properties. Same with silver btw.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah

rofl

I can't believe you are this dumb. Its like saying oil, a limited resource has no value. Of course gold has value. Its very rare and is used in every CPU in the world, not to mention almost every sophisticated electronic device in the world think cell phones, gps systems, calculators, etc etc. It has extremely beneficial properties. Same with silver btw.

In today's society it has intrinsic value, but it's not a necessity of life, like food, water, shelter etc.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
He thinks bartering should be the standard.

For anything to have value, it should be limited in supply and be accepted as currency or legal tender if you want. Else, we are back to the stone age with bartering.

lol this is a historical myth. credit systems and coinage both predate "barter economies," which have never been shown to be in practice in ancient times or among less developed peoples. in fact the only known instances of widespread barter economies are circumstances in which people used to commercial money economies suddenly have to make do without money (like prison or hyper-inflation era weimar germany)

quote:

but there's nothing about gold that makes it better as a measure of value than wheat, oil, marbles, dollars, or anything else
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:58 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
I don't agree with this at all. The value of a currency is dependent on the underlying economy and governments that adopts the currency, not what underlying assets are backed by the currency. It's not like following a complete financial failure a government is just going to give up its entire gold supply anyways, and limiting a nation's purchasing power based on how much "gold" a nation has will just create a deadweight loss on the economy.

A strong monetary policy and economy keep the value of money, not gold.

at the end of the day the value of a currency, whether it's gold or dollars, depends on faith in the issuer to make good on their debts. so if i'm a country and i buy a billion dollars worth of US treasuries, the expectation is that eventually the US will pay me back a billion dollars. of course, this is farcical, because if the US actually did pay all its debt, the economy would basically collapse. the only thing, in my opinion, keeping the world economic system together and making people continue to buy into this system (since they mostly lose out, due to the arcane magic of interest rate manipulation that allows these streams of capital into the US to function very much like old fashioned imperial tribute) is the same thing that's always kept markets and economies functioning since they first started: naked military force

i just finished this book, ya'll should read it if you're into like economic history and shit http://www.amazon.com/Debt-First-5-000-Years/dp/1933633867

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:17 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/09/david-graeber-on-the-invention-of-money-%E2%80%93-notes-on-sex-adventure-monomaniacal-sociopathy-and-the-true-function-of-economics.html good article about money history from graeber (who wrote dat book)

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:37 am