Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
foonat

you guys are making me want to build a new computer, STOP IT

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 pm 
RamJam

quote:
Originally posted by -667-
"I have an idea, why not put 2k in a computer and save a hundred bucks by buying something that breaks easily, is slower, and downright fucking sucks. Just so you can replace it later when it fucks up"

I'm a moron btw lol"

what exactly are you referring too?

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:05 pm 
-667-

quote:
Originally posted by RamJam
quote:
Originally posted by -667-
"I have an idea, why not put 2k in a computer and save a hundred bucks by buying something that breaks easily, is slower, and downright fucking sucks. Just so you can replace it later when it fucks up"

I'm a moron btw lol"

what exactly are you referring too?

saving about a hundred bucks when you're putting in like 2k, just to get a shitty HDD

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm 
iSiePierDoL

couple things had a price on them but were actually free; like the batman game that i will never even open.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:37 pm 
Aerasal

send it to me and i will open it

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:18 pm 
Soilent Green

lol @ this whole thread. bunch of retards giving retard advice to a retard.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 am 
RamJam

"I still don't see what's wrong with mining bitcoins, jealous perhaps?" - Soilent Green

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:33 pm 
-667-

quote:
Originally posted by Soilent Green
lol @ this whole thread. bunch of retards giving retard advice to a retard.

"I am selling this old voodoo3 card. It still performs to this day, state of the art. Payment in bitcoins if you will"
-humongous zit-nerd

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:41 pm 
Kith-Kanin

I was just looking at a few sites, and to me it seems like the sweet spot, for performance vs price, is the i7-2600k? Looking at some of the performance reviews, you get about a 4000 more increase in the benchmark with an i7, over the i5-2500, and the price differential is like 80 bucks?

With all this talk of upgrades I may upgrade my CPU/board as I've been running the same athlon phenom x2 for like 4 years. It still runs mostly everything I want, but I think it's bottlenecking my 480gtx pretty badly lol.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
RamJam

Yeah but he's buying the computer for gaming. An i7 currently has no advantage over the i5 for gaming purposes because games cannot currently utilize 4 cores let alone the hyper-threading. The i5 overclocks better than the i7 too. Benchmark points can be very misleading.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:50 pm 
Aerasal

ya benchmarks are going to bench default speeds unless specifically noted. the i5 and i7 are essentially the same chip and overclock similarly. there'd be no difference between the two at the same speeds when it comes to gaming.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:16 pm 
Kith-Kanin

So how will additional processors effect your performance then? As in,
if I want to run music, while playing a video game (say battlefield 3 or something graphic intensive), while downloading torrents--how do you determine how many processors you can effectively use?

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
So how will additional processors effect your performance then? As in,
if I want to run music, while playing a video game (say battlefield 3 or something graphic intensive), while downloading torrents--how do you determine how many processors you can effectively use?

that stuff is so minuscule on a modern cpu it will have no effect whatsoever even on a dual core. you don't need hyperthreading for anything you do.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm 
turtleman@can

I know a lot of people buy the dual core (with quad threading) i5 model because it actually performs better than the quad core models
I think it overclocks better, or it's just that software takes better advantage of dual core than quad

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
I know a lot of people buy the dual core (with quad threading) i5 model because it actually performs better than the quad core models
I think it overclocks better, or it's just that software takes better advantage of dual core than quad

pretty bizarre claims. almost positive there are no dual core i5's (don't feel like googling to find out), at least not the newest sandy bridge models, and a dual core with the same architecture and speed as a quad core will not perform better than it. if software isn't coded to take advantage of additional cores they would simply be neglected, they wouldn't slow down a program.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 pm 
Soilent Green

quote:

lol what?

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:41 pm 
iSiePierDoL

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
you guys are making me want to build a new computer, STOP IT

lol

just got my parts in except for the memory. Can't wait to wartoo in high definition lol

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:09 pm 
$paCe

I play war2 on an 82 inch high def television while sitting on the couch.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:09 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
quote:

pretty bizarre claims. almost positive there are no dual core i5's (don't feel like googling to find out), at least not the newest sandy bridge models, and a dual core with the same architecture and speed as a quad core will not perform better than it. if software isn't coded to take advantage of additional cores they would simply be neglected, they wouldn't slow down a program.

Well, I'm running a dual core i5 and they wouldn't have the same architecture as a quad core processor - I don't know the details about why it performs better, I'm just passing along secondhand knowledge from a few of my uber nerd friends.

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:40 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, I'm running a dual core i5 and they wouldn't have the same architecture as a quad core processor - I don't know the details about why it performs better, I'm just passing along secondhand knowledge from a few of my uber nerd friends.

yes they would if they're from the same family. obviously not physically EXACTLY the same since one is a dual core and the other a quad but they have the same architecture and design. and a dual core is NOT going to perform better than a quad core in the same family (sandy bridge i3 vs sandy bridge i5) clock for clock under ANY circumstance.

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:56 pm 
smurf_king

yo poster you never replied

why would you buy win7 newb edition err i mean home edition for $99

if you can download Ultimate for $0.00 ?

the loader (crack) from [daz] is pretty effective.

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 pm 
RamJam

quote:
quote:

Actually laptop i5s are dual core.... I still disagree with turtleman though. If we're talking desktops an i3 will not outperform an i5.

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am 
turtleman@can

the idea behind having multiple cores is so that software can perform multi-threading , basically running operations in parallel instead of consecutively, which results in faster processing.

When you write software, let's say you write a calculate function that performs these calculations
1+2=3
3+3=6
4*2=8
6-5=1

if you wanted this to support multi-core functionality, you would say
if user processor is single core, perform all operations consecutively
if user processor is dual core, perform 2 operations in parallel
if ..., perform 4 operations in parallel

writing code like this for an entire program is very cumbersome, so most programs will never support multi-core functionality. Even major publishers are not supporting quad core , because it requires double the amount of code to do it and processors right now are way beyond what is actually necessary to perform the calculations for most programs. And when the burden gets heavier on processing, they usually will just send this to the video card.

So basically, because i3s and earlier i5 models(desktop) are dual core processors and they overclock well, a lot of people would rather do this because 2 cores running at 3.6ghz is probably going to be very comparable to a quad core running at the same speed. And they're generally a lot cheaper. Processors do not bottleneck you at all. This generation of technology will be obsolete by the time we're running programs that require these processors - video cards are the only thing that matter.

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:57 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
the idea behind having multiple cores is so that software can perform multi-threading , basically running operations in parallel instead of consecutively, which results in faster processing.

When you write software, let's say you write a calculate function that performs these calculations
1+2=3
3+3=6
4*2=8
6-5=1

if you wanted this to support multi-core functionality, you would say
if user processor is single core, perform all operations consecutively
if user processor is dual core, perform 2 operations in parallel
if ..., perform 4 operations in parallel

writing code like this for an entire program is very cumbersome, so most programs will never support multi-core functionality. Even major publishers are not supporting quad core , because it requires double the amount of code to do it and processors right now are way beyond what is actually necessary to perform the calculations for most programs. And when the burden gets heavier on processing, they usually will just send this to the video card.

So basically, because i3s and earlier i5 models(desktop) are dual core processors and they overclock well, a lot of people would rather do this because 2 cores running at 3.6ghz is probably going to be very comparable to a quad core running at the same speed. And they're generally a lot cheaper. Processors do not bottleneck you at all. This generation of technology will be obsolete by the time we're running programs that require these processors - video cards are the only thing that matter.

what exactly is your point? you said a dual core will perform better than a quad core. it won't. then you come back and say a bunch of stuff with no relevance everyone knows already. the dualcore cpus on the market now do not overclock any better than quadcores. and if you're in the market for a cpu right now, you're obviously not looking to upgrade for dated games that don't benefit from quad cores. if you spent any where near 150 dollars on a cpu right now that isn't at least a phenom quadcore, you'd be a real idiot. most of the recent new pc releases do infant see a great benefit from quadcore cpus (witcher 2, deus ex, bf 3). it's no where near a 100% increase in performance going from dualcore to quadcore as it is difficult to code in such ways, but developers have made at least some use of the additional cores and performance has increased.

also, i get real tired of blanket statements like "processors don't bottleneck you at all". every situation is unique and such a statement is so completely useless. maybe in a lot of gaming situations a processors won't be a bottleneck, but that doesn't mean there aren't many situations where a cpu bottleneck does indeed pop up.

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:42 pm 
The_G0D

^ the guy that got mad at me for saying that the science in the movie "Armageddon" was factually inaccurate.

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:45 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by The_G0D
^ the guy that got mad at me for saying that the science in the movie "Armageddon" was factually inaccurate.

oh i forgot that was you. thanks for reminding me how dumb you are.

http://war2.warcraft.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19275&highlight=armageddon

edit: i just reread that thread. you still don't think it was a really stupid thing to say the earth like gravity of the asteroid ruined the completely ridiculous and over the top movie and i was 100% sarcastic? and considering how ben affleck MOTHERFUCKING FLIES/FLOATS HIS BUGGY THING ACROSS A CAVERN UNTIL HE ACTIVATES THE GRAVITY BOOSTERS TO REACH BRUCE WILLIS. seriously, how do you miss that part?

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:56 pm 
The_G0D

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The_G0D

oh i forgot that was you. thanks for reminding me how dumb you are.

http://war2.warcraft.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19275&highlight=armageddon

edit: i just reread that thread. you still don't think it was a really stupid thing to say the earth like gravity of the asteroid ruined the completely ridiculous and over the top movie and i was 100% sarcastic? and considering how ben affleck MOTHERFUCKING FLIES/FLOATS HIS BUGGY THING ACROSS A CAVERN UNTIL HE ACTIVATES THE GRAVITY BOOSTERS TO REACH BRUCE WILLIS. seriously, how do you miss that part?

lmfao @ how offended you are right now I'm literally on the floor, rolling around, laughing my bottom off.

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:23 am 
The_G0D

I guess all their props and pieces of asteroid that were being drilled also had "rocket boosters" too huh. el oh el

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:24 am 
The_G0D

my bad... "gravity boosters" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:25 am 
Picka_materina

Aersal has anger management problems, seems he has a short fuse Smile

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:49 am