FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

New gaming rig
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
iSiePierDoL

New gaming rig

Hello all,

I'm looking to get some feedback on a computer that I want to build. It will be my first build and the computer would be used mainly for gaming (BF3). Here are the parts:

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820231314
$51.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 015-P3-1580-AR Video Card
Item #:N82E16814130587
$489.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Item #:N82E16832116986
$99.99

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Item #:N82E16819115072
$219.99
Thermaltake Element T VK90001N2Z Black Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811133087
$84.99
$74.99
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813131771
$179.99
$169.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822136284
$119.99
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Item #:N82E16827135204
$19.99
ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
Item #:N82E16824236175
$209.99
$184.99
COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817171053
$109.99
$99.99
Grand Total: $1,531.90

I'd like to stay around the $1500 price range. Thanks

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:57 pm 
The_G0D

don't forget the fibre optic router for Warcraft 2!

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

im not super up on hardware specs and prices, but it seems to me you could get a prebuilt i5 system for $1500 or less with those specifications pretty much, including the monitor.

i could be wrong though

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:58 pm 
$paCe

$99.99

I know you can get this on sale for $0.00 if you shop around

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:19 pm 
smurf_king

no reason to buy windows 7, the rest is ok

use those extra $99 to go for an i7 instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:29 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
im not super up on hardware specs and prices, but it seems to me you could get a prebuilt i5 system for $1500 or less with those specifications pretty much, including the monitor.

i could be wrong though

you are, any cheap i5 system that comes with a monitor isn't going to have a good gfx card

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king
no reason to buy windows 7, the rest is ok

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071

you could easily just download a copy of win 7 or vista. if you already have vista i don't know if there's much point in upgrading to 7.

the i7 is definitely not worth the extra 80 dollars. it's the same chip as the i5 2500k the only difference being a slight mhz boost and hyperthreading which has no impact in gaming. both cpus overclock to similar levels. the i5 2500k is definitely the sweet spot for cpus right now and has by far the best price per performance ratio of any chip. you could however get a much cheaper p67 board for around 100 dollars. there's no point in getting a more expensive board unless you need the specific features

also i'm pretty sure you don't need a 750w power supply unless you plan on getting a mobo that supports sli or crossfire and plan on adding another graphics card. you could get a cheaper or higher quality lower watt model. they always say individual rail ratings are more important than over all wattage. i have the exact same system but with a 6950 that runs on a 500w ps. i know the fermi nvidia cards have slightly higher power requirements as the ati 6000 series but i can't imagine it being that drastically different.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:07 pm 
The_G0D

quote:
Originally posted by $paCe
$99.99

I know you can get this on sale for $0.00 if you shop around

lol

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:23 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

serious question how difficult is it to pirate a working copy of windows 7 because i have vista and its "ok" but i've used 7 and 7 is pretty much vista but better and less annoying shit

i've heard about flashing your bios but don't really know much about it, is that very difficult/risky

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:11 pm 
RamJam

If you know other people that need it you can buy windows 7 3 packs for for $130 and split the cost. I'd never even want to deal with the aggravation of pirating windows.

Dakine he's putting a near $500 video card in his PC so that's why it's so expensive.

If you have microcenter near you I'd buy the i5 there though. You could save like 50 bucks.

That case kind of sucks though too. No front fans for 74$? I'd just go with an antec 300.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:22 pm 
iSiePierDoL

Re: New gaming rig

quote:

the way i've been playing, I should look into it....

quote:

i could be wrong though

That's what I thought too. But, when I looked into some of the dells, HPs, etc., I couldn't build one with some of the specs I wanted like the higher end vid card and the i5 2500k without breaking 2k+

Space lol if you can shop around for me for that price I'll get another one for you..

quote:

I read a couple articles online and it seems like there is no difference between the i5 and i7 in gaming.

Aereasal, I wasn't sure which power supply to get so i am still not definate on that part. Any idea on which supply to get? I was thinking about adding another card but not right away.

quote:
If you know other people that need it you can buy windows 7 3 packs for for $130 and split the cost. I'd never even want to deal with the aggravation of pirating windows.

Dakine he's putting a near $500 video card in his PC so that's why it's so expensive.

If you have microcenter near you I'd buy the i5 there though. You could save like 50 bucks.

That case kind of sucks though too. No front fans for 74$? I'd just go with an antec 300.
Closest microcenter is in philly...never heard of them. Would they be worth for buying all the parts there or just certain ones? Didn't realize on the case fans...swapped it out thanks.

Thanks for the input guys

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:49 pm 
Fast Luck

is a rig kind of like a computer?

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:20 pm 
iSiePierDoL

blid, yes. Have u been wartooing?

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:52 pm 
swift0ne

i thought "rig" was exclusive to rednecks for fishing/trucks

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm 
The_G0D

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
serious question how difficult is it to pirate a working copy of windows 7 because i have vista and its "ok" but i've used 7 and 7 is pretty much vista but better and less annoying shit

i've heard about flashing your bios but don't really know much about it, is that very difficult/risky

I said in another thread that I don't pirate shit, but I've just realised I (may or may not) have pirated every single version of Windows I've used, wow, I pay for music and games (except maybe Civ4) lol - selfowned. But yeah, a simple google/YT search = simple activation methods. Windows 7 is a super tweaked version of Vista that's about 1000% more efficient, def. worth the upgrade as soon as you get enough time imo.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:21 pm 
Aerasal

quote:

not difficult at all in my experience. all i did was download a high seeded copy with positive feedback that looked good and a remove wat crack from btjunkie. been using it for over a year on multiple reformats and reinstalls and it always updates fine and i don't get any "not a genuine windows copy" messages.

edit: also never had to do anything special like bios flashing and it also works just fine on my new motherboard.

Last edited by Aerasal on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:39 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by iSiePierDoL

quote:

the way i've been playing, I should look into it....

quote:

i could be wrong though

That's what I thought too. But, when I looked into some of the dells, HPs, etc., I couldn't build one with some of the specs I wanted like the higher end vid card and the i5 2500k without breaking 2k+

Space lol if you can shop around for me for that price I'll get another one for you..

quote:

I read a couple articles online and it seems like there is no difference between the i5 and i7 in gaming.

Aereasal, I wasn't sure which power supply to get so i am still not definate on that part. Any idea on which supply to get? I was thinking about adding another card but not right away.

quote:

Closest microcenter is in philly...never heard of them. Would they be worth for buying all the parts there or just certain ones? Didn't realize on the case fans...swapped it out thanks.

Thanks for the input guys

sorry, don't really have any idea what ps to get, but if you do plan on adding another gfx card definitely make sure you get one that supports sli/crossfire.

if you do have a microcenter nearby just check their prices vs newegg or other net places. some things are cheaper and some aren't. the i5 2500k is way cheaper there than on newegg which sucks for me i found out after buying it from newegg and i have a microcenter like 20 mins away. their ram tho is like twice the price as newegg so it's kinda strange.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:44 pm 
Lightbringer-

Make a self made rig with a core 15-2500/k. OC it mildly. Go dual GPUs if u can afford. Just read a review last week from some reputable tech site and they paired two lower end graphics NVIDIA card against the flagship NVIDIA card and in most benches, the dual config beat the single card by a whisker. But it costs way less....

I cannot find it. It was complete with benchmarks and stuffs.

Found this benchmark atm...Not what I was looking for though.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/Gamer-Index,2673.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/vga-charts-spring-2011/

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:39 pm 
RamJam

eh if you were to run 2 GTX 460s over a 580 there would be a slight improvement but they also consume a lot more energy and there's no way to upgrade them in the future. IDK why the 580s are still so expensive though. You can buy 2 460s for around 300$.

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:05 am 
$paCe

My laptop came with win7 then I got a virus that required a format on every partition, it was terrible. So yeah the laptop company wanted to charge me 20 bucks for win7 cd again so I just got a crack and downloaded win7, works fine.

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:36 am 
foonat

hey i don't really have specific suggestions, just feedback on some of your components. i built a comp 3 years ago and used GSkill RAM, ASUS mobo, and an ASUS monitor and they are all working beautifully still. def high quality and affordable brands

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:55 am 
-667-

If you want state of the art, just PM user Soilent Green, I'm sure he will sell you overpriced shit from a decade ago.

(Personally, if I were to put over a thousand and a half bones into something that's supposed to perform and not become antiquity in a year or two, I'd go for a SSD. Might be just me though)

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:01 am 
-667-

Regarding pirating software, I don't see why anyone would say it's a hassle?

I mean, I've never paid for OS's and while it was a hassle with XP, the pirated win7 that I run on a laptop doesn't cause any hassle?

Infact, the OS notified me that it isn't an authentic OS but that it doesn't matter. It still works and gets updates etc. etc.

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:11 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

well like i said i never pirate OS's so i'm not sure how difficult they are to crack, if cracked versions cause problems (like your automatic updates not working correctly), etc., and considering an operating system is a lot more important than like a game or something i'd rather not install something on my pc that's going to be more trouble than its worth and then end up spending an entire weekend afternoon setting windows back up

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:42 am 
-667-

quote:
well like i said i never pirate OS's so i'm not sure how difficult they are to crack, if cracked versions cause problems (like your automatic updates not working correctly), etc., and considering an operating system is a lot more important than like a game or something i'd rather not install something on my pc that's going to be more trouble than its worth and then end up spending an entire weekend afternoon setting windows back up

Well yeah, I didn't mean you specifically in that post, just pirating OS's in general. I think Ramjam (or someone) also mentioned it. And yeah, with XP it was definitely a hassle. Had to change cd-keys one too many times when it fucked up some service packs or something like that.

Basically the pirated win7 I have now was an authentic .iso I downloaded and fitted into a flash drive. Upon installing the OS said something among the lines of "listen, this is a pirated version and we might not let you have an upgrade or two from the windows networks over the years. However, this pirated piece of software is going to work just fine on your computer and we hope you consider buying a real one". I haven't been denied one upgrade yet though. I'm really curious on how the installer knew it's not a real one as it had absolutely nowhere to verify it is a copy.

I don't know is this usual on win7 pirates or something, pretty weird. I guess they think it's better that people pirate win7, as opposed to jumping ship to some free OS.

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

well i did read once at some point that MS still provides updates to pirated software because its bad for network stability not to, but i also heard they were going to change that soon. so i dunno. maybe i'll just pirate it, if i setup a dual-boot i can always go back to shitsta in the worst case scenario

quote:

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm 
iSiePierDoL

Final parts for anyone who wants to know:
1 x ($79.99) HD 750|WD 7K 32M WD7501AALS - OEM $79.99

1 x ($99.99) MS WIN 7 HOME SP1 64BIT 1PK - OEM - OEM $99.99

1 x ($219.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R $219.99

1 x ($79.99) CASE CM|STORM ENFORCE SGC-1000-KWN1 $79.99

1 x ($49.99) GIFT NVIDIA|BATMAN ARKHAM CITY R $49.99

1 x ($169.99) MB ASUS|P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) P67 R $169.99

1 x ($499.99) VGA ASUS|ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 $499.99

1 x ($169.99) PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-850HX 850W RT $169.99

1 x ($6.49) FLASH 4G|KST MICSDHC SDC4/4GB R $6.49

1 x ($149.99) SSD 120G|OCZ OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G R $149.99

1 x ($49.99) MEM 4Gx2|G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL $49.99

1 x ($184.99) MNTR ASUS|LED 23" 2MS VS238H-P R $184.99

1 x ($24.99) HDST ROSEWILL | RHM-6308 R $24.99

1 x ($19.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM $19.99

1 x ($25.99) CPU COOLER CM| RR-B10-212P-G1 RT $25.99

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:12 pm 
smurf_king

- 'gift' for $50 ? Razz lol

- still, no reason to buy windows 7 home, you can download ultimate, (use the extra $99 for a speaker set or buying a 3-way bunny dildo, idc)

- psu is a lil expensive, mine is also 850w gaming and it costed $60

- buying the best video card there is available its waste of money imo
u can get a 460gtx or 560 at half the prize and still there's no released game you can't run at the highest settings with it.

i suggest 460GTX MSI HAWK overclocked. can get around 130 GB /sec bandwidth.

check this chart

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/NVIDIA-Chips-Comparison-Table/132

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:06 am 
Lightbringer-

wtf is that ssd doing in there???

Unless you want some nice bump in load times and shit, I doubt that you will be harddisk constrained in performance for games. Its more GPU/CPU bottlenecked. That's $150 saved. The price/storage ratio is terrible.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 am 
-667-

"I have an idea, why not put 2k in a computer and save a hundred bucks by buying something that breaks easily, is slower, and downright fucking sucks. Just so you can replace it later when it fucks up"

I'm a moron btw lol"

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:52 am 
RamJam

quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-
wtf is that ssd doing in there???

Unless you want some nice bump in load times and shit, I doubt that you will be harddisk constrained in performance for games. Its more GPU/CPU bottlenecked. That's $150 saved. The price/storage ratio is terrible.

I have a 60 gb ssd and it's nice for a boot up drive. It won't improve your fps but it does make everything load faster.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:43 am