FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Lets see who can guess this
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
swift0ne

Lets see who can guess this

After reading "Chinese 2 year old girl run over....and left there" I did a little research and found this.

This is a picture of a starving young child and a vulture which appears to be waiting for the child to die so it can get its next meal. Although intriguing, extremely heartbreaking and disturbing, there is something even more sickening about this whole situation that isn't exactly in the picture, who can guess it?

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 pm 
$paCe

the camera guy was probably jaded to these images. what can one person do but document it for awareness.

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:22 pm 
Lightbringer-

The camaraman did not help the child because he knew it had diseases. He left the child to die, got an award for his photo and later committed suicude or something in these lines if I correctly recall...BTW I'm not seeing the pics at work but I think I'm correctly assuming what pic it is.

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 pm 
MassiveAttack

We discussed this photo in my journalism class. The photographer sat and waited for the vulture to spread his wings for quite some time (a half an hour to an hour presumably) so he could get a more disturbing shot. He finally couldn't take it anymore and shot the photo. When people asked about what happened to the child, he had stated that his parents left him there to get help. He did not help the child and does not know what exactly happened to him or his parents. The guilt had stricken him so far that he later committed suicide. He later admitted he cried for hours while smoking cigarettes by a tree nearby the child.

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:24 pm 
$paCe

I would kill the vulture and feed it to the child???

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:14 am 
swift0ne

Next questions: If you were the camera man in this photo would you have assisted the child, and how? Why/or Why not? AND do you feel that it is inconsiderate/inhumane not to, a obligation so to speak of any human being to do so?

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 am 
swift0ne

Does it really bug you that much? If it does, then don't post in or view the thread. There are plenty of non-related war2 discussions on here, this is just another one. I think that's why axo named it "general discussion?"

It would be incorrect to think that the war2 forums were for talking about just war2, instead the war2 forums are for the war2 players to be brought together to talk about whatever they want.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:41 am 
$paCe

At the very least I would grab the child and bring it into some shade by a tree or something nice like that, and give some water and whatever food I had on me. Looks like it's just a matter of starvation because even an aids baby wouldn't die that fast from the disease alone. He probably had a gut full of worms as well which can easily be eradicated by modern medicine.

This is an interesting thread to be brought up at this time since earlier today I saw a youtube video of a 20 week old baby being born. The mom basically birthed it so she could say goodbye to it, no chance of living. The little girl only lived for 8 minutes, but there was a lot of hugging and kissing with goodbyes. We all die, but letting a child die like that on his face in the dirt and sun on his back is shameful neglect of basic humanity, so at the very least you could comfort someone while they pass.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 am 
swift0ne

Also Lightbringer- just so you know, the war2 forums are used for economical/political debates more than anything else, including war2 discussion. It has been that way for a long while.

Also, within those economical/political debates, most of the users on here discuss/argue over the structures of systems revolving around what is moral and fair as well as what is efficient, as opposed to efficiency alone. Thus, my topic actually isn't too far off because it revolves around morality.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:50 am 
swift0ne

quote:
Originally posted by $paCe
At the very least I would grab the child and bring it into some shade by a tree or something nice like that, and give some water and whatever food I had on me. Looks like it's just a matter of starvation because even an aids baby wouldn't die that fast from the disease alone. He probably had a gut full of worms as well which can easily be eradicated by modern medicine.

This is an interesting thread to be brought up at this time since earlier today I saw a youtube video of a 20 week old baby being born. The mom basically birthed it so she could say goodbye to it, no chance of living. The little girl only lived for 8 minutes, but there was a lot of hugging and kissing with goodbyes. We all die, but letting a child die like that on his face in the dirt and sun on his back is shameful neglect of basic humanity, so at the very least you could comfort someone while they pass.

Your post about the baby reminded me of this. Apparently this baby had no chance of living without an intervention prior to the birth. The baby grabs the doctors finger and according the article I read the doctor found it to be the most emotional point in his life and that it took him by surprise and he had to take a moment, and the mother after later seeing the picture was brought to tears.

edit: otherone got taken down for copyright reasons or something.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:57 am 
The_G0D

quote:

good post!

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:33 am 
Kyr.Luoson

Just remember a child or even an adult that far into starvation wouldnt be able to eat anything you had on you. Infact it would properly cause death faster.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:40 am 
-667-

quote:
He probably had a gut full of worms as well which can easily be eradicated by modern medicine.

kwashiorkor

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:43 am 
Kith-Kanin

I think being a journalist or aid worker in Africa would be incredibly depressing. You know you're making a difference to some people, but the majority of the people are still being missed. Especially in famine areas.

Can you imagine going over to Somalia right now, war torn as it is, and trying to document the extreme famine those poor people have? Meanwhile you're getting all the water and food you need, you see little kids starving to death all around you.

Kids who's only fault was to be born in the wrong country at the wrong time. This world right now sucks.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
passwillworkeasycompany

is it just me? i never feel compassion for journalist like in a war zone when they get shot, raped etc

that dude should have his ass kicked regardless for making that kid lay there

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by passwillworkeasycompany
is it just me? i never feel compassion for journalist like in a war zone when they get shot, raped etc

that dude should have his ass kicked regardless for making that kid lay there

Without journalism most of the world wouldn't know what's going on in some countries...

but I don't feel compassion for them. I was just saying it would be incredibly depressing.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
passwillworkeasycompany

they just act like "rules dont apply to us" we're journalist. you cant shoot us
somewhat like that.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by passwillworkeasycompany
they just act like "rules dont apply to us" we're journalist. you cant shoot us
somewhat like that.

Well, have you ever heard of the Geneva Convention?

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:15 am 
Fast Luck

it's inhuman and exploitative to just take a picture of a starving kid and walk away. however, giving the kid or her family a bag of grain or $50 or something would not help anything except you to lie to yourself and feel like something was made better. with the systemic poverty and endemic starvation in the region it would take a sustained effort to help that child, or else the family will just be starving again in a month, if it wasn't too late to save that kid at all. and that kid is one kid of millions starving in sudan, so even rescuing that one kid would just be a shallow small-scale little piece of targeted charity amongst vast and widespread suffering. what, then, should the photographer do? give up his life to help africa's suffering, just because he happened to be there to take that picture? well, probably he should, yes, but that's a lot to ask. we've all seen the picture too, and the picture gave the problem a lot of exposure. but how many of us have done anything to help that child, or any of the starving in africa? fuck everyone imo, me included. also smash capitalism

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:47 am 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by swift0ne
Next questions: If you were the camera man in this photo would you have assisted the child, and how? Why/or Why not? AND do you feel that it is inconsiderate/inhumane not to, a obligation so to speak of any human being to do so?

You can't help the child, he can't eat anything at this stage unless by intravenous feeding.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:21 am 
InsaneWL

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
it's inhuman and exploitative to just take a picture of a starving kid and walk away. however, giving the kid or her family a bag of grain or $50 or something would not help anything except you to lie to yourself and feel like something was made better. with the systemic poverty and endemic starvation in the region it would take a sustained effort to help that child, or else the family will just be starving again in a month, if it wasn't too late to save that kid at all. and that kid is one kid of millions starving in sudan, so even rescuing that one kid would just be a shallow small-scale little piece of targeted charity amongst vast and widespread suffering. what, then, should the photographer do? give up his life to help africa's suffering, just because he happened to be there to take that picture? well, probably he should, yes, but that's a lot to ask. we've all seen the picture too, and the picture gave the problem a lot of exposure. but how many of us have done anything to help that child, or any of the starving in africa? fuck everyone imo, me included. also smash capitalism
yeah fuck you imo too

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
swift0ne

quote:

Well, In many African countries $50 dollars can last unbelievably longer than a month even for a large family, but I get what you're saying.

I think it's one of the most sickening and deluded perspectives that people can sit and judge the camera man from walking away, yet they do nothing themselves. At what point does it become inhumane and inconsiderate to not help, only when the suffering is right infront of our eyes? Is that when it becomes our responsibility? That's easy, but for some reason the vast majority of the people in the world go on with their lives while suffering happens and think they're somehow different because of some arbitrary moral guideline that says you only have to help when need is in eye sight. I guarantee it would be a whole lot easier and take less time to setup a $30-50 dollar monthly donation than it would be to help this one child, yet people criticize him because he was there and they weren't, and that's not even taking into consideration that this camera man went out of his way to document and assist suffering in various ways, while most stay in their home country and worry about population themselves. But if only we could watch and see how many would actually take the time to donate the $30-50, or if we ourselves would donate, would we be disgusted? And if money is the issue, I'm betting most people here are a lot more well off than the camera man was. It makes you wonder if people are driven by compassion or if it's just the guilt imposed on by themselves and society, or if we're merely just that jaded in perspective as to think we are not at fault as well.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:52 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by swift0ne
I think it's one of the most sickening and deluded perspectives that people can sit and judge the camera man from walking away, yet they do nothing themselves.

that's why the picture is so brilliant, its as much an indictment of the viewer as it is of the photographer
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:02 pm 
Kith-Kanin

I expect I'll be judged by some on here for saying this, but about 4 years ago I was upgrading my TV, and rather than sell the old one I called around the local kids shelters to see if anyone could use one. Long story short, I donated 50" projection TV that was in great shape to them. I probably could have got about 500-700 bucks for it as it wasn't that old at the time.

Anyways, a group of 3 kids and 2 older teenagers came by and picked it up and you could just see how excited they were.

I was hardly changing world hunger or anything, but I gotta tell ya, seeing those kids get that excited really made me feel good that such a small simple gesture could do that. It was a bit of a turning point for me in regards to philanthropy.

I want to donate my time to volunteer work, but my job/little kid makes it very difficult to have any spare time, so I try to make sure to give something charity organizations.

I don't do it to make me feel good, or any less immoral for taking advantage of my current state--I do it because I can't stand to think about the fact that just because of where/when/who I was born, my life is 10000000x better than some poor kid dying in the dust in Sudan right now.

It shouldn't be like that.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:05 pm 
Fast Luck

i signed up to one of those africa donation things today and it made me feel even more like shit, i think because it just reaffirms my awareness of the problem and the insignificance of my efforts against it. as the african dude i met with shook my hand and called me a hero i found myself imagining the little girl im feeding having food to eat and getting a job and making money and flying to the US and coming to my house and killing me, that would own

quote:
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm 
terror-kahn

chances are you aren't feeding anyone except the CEO of the foundation you're donating to

good job, hero

http://www.youtube.com/ClanAbsoluteSynergy

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Lightbringer-

quote:
Originally posted by terror-kahn
chances are you aren't feeding anyone except the CEO of the foundation you're donating to

good job, hero

lol....here in Mauritius the Government created a CSR fund which is levied on all profiteable companies. Its something like 1-2% of their profits and should be used in specific CSR (corporate social responsibility) approved schemes....

A news article just broke out that many of those NGOs receiving the CSR fund are more than generously paying the persons working in there especially the bosses...

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:32 am 
Paper_Boy

If we are obligated feed every hungry child, nothing would stop every idiot out there from popping out like 20-100 kids if they want to. Prices would sky rocket and eventually it leads to famine and people starving any way. Sad but if you cant afford to feed a kid dont fucking have one. Its pretty simple, natural selection

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
-667-

quote:
Originally posted by Paper_Boy
If we are obligated feed every hungry child, nothing would stop every idiot out there from popping out like 20-100 kids if they want to. Prices would sky rocket and eventually it leads to famine and people starving any way. Sad but if you cant afford to feed a kid dont fucking have one. Its pretty simple, natural selection

120-130 range easily

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 am 
swift0ne

quote:
i signed up to one of those africa donation things today and it made me feel even more like shit, i think because it just reaffirms my awareness of the problem and the insignificance of my efforts against it. as the african dude i met with shook my hand and called me a hero i found myself imagining the little girl im feeding having food to eat and getting a job and making money and flying to the US and coming to my house and killing me, that would own

why would she do that?

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:10 am