FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Board games
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Bobbo

Board games

Anyone else here a board game geek? I'm looking for recommendations for games and possible opponents for some online gaming at some site I just found called BSW:

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Spiele/

My absolute favorite game now is Caylus. I also like Puerto Rico, Carassonne, Tigris and Euphrates, and Agricola. You can play Caylus/PR/Carc on that site. I figure War2 peeps would have much better taste in strategy games than the general public.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
USA-Feature

I like playing risk but i dunno any places to play it online.

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

i play risk online on an old-style BBS
it's a one turn per day, many game type thing

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:31 am 
~Dakine..HeX

i play a lot of quick scrabble (10mins or less per player per game), thats it though.

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 am 
SaBiQ

Re: Board games

Hey Bobbo,

We too are huge fans of the Rio Grande Games. We have Caylus, lost cities, jambo, medici vs. strozzi, stone age, and of course Dominion. My mom, sister and aunt are really into them and they give them to us as presents.

I haven't actually tried Caylus yet (we just got it a week ago), but I have tried all the others. Stone Age reminds me of warcraft, I like it a lot. Medici vs Strozzi is like the stock market. My wife loves Jambo, but I'm not a huge fan. Lost Cities is a great game because it has simple rules, yet a lot of strategy.

By far our favorite is Dominion (it's a deck building game). It's super fast paced and with 24 decks (plus multiple expansions), you literally have a totally different game each time you play.

I have had my eye on Carassonne for a while, particularly because they have an iPad app. When it goes on sale, I'll buy it. Puerto Rico I have seen in the brochures, but I have never actually seen it for sale.

I will try Caylus over the weekend and if I like it, we can try online. I would love to play Dominion online.

We also play Ticket to Ride a little, as well as Settlers of Catan, and Munchkins. Ticket to Ride doesn't have tons of strategy and Settlers is already kind of old. Munchkins is a cute take on D&D. You would probably enjoy it.

I love to play risk once or twice a year. It takes forever, but it's fun to play with the family on vacation.

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:22 pm 
foonat

i have epic mancala battles with my gf, is that a board game

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:42 pm 
Frostbitten

i played chess competitively in local tournaments

http://YouTube.com/war2combat | http://YouTube.com/FrostbittenWarcraft | http://www.denverchess.com | http://www.BureauA.com

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:34 pm 
Bobbo

Risk is fun but I dunno bout that one turn per day thing for it. Risk is all about player interaction and allying/screwing over/manipulating people so I feel like that would be lost over the course of 200 turns-per-day. Doesn't it take like a year to finish a game, blid? Haha.

OMFGWTF is quick scrabble? =D

Sabiq: of the games you have I only have played Caylus. I'll have to try Dominion out - I've heard good things about it (Lost Cities as well, I forgot about that one). I've heard of Stone Age, but I'll take a closer look at it now.

Anyways, Caylus is great in that besides some initial turn order + tile placement, there are no elements of luck (no dice) NOR any hidden cards or resources held by any player. Not only is it a perfect information game, but it is incredibly well-designed to give players a ton of options (games are VERY different) and forces them to interact a lot. Also, it is great even with just 2 players. The rules seem rather complex at first but once you get the hang of it the game flows really well.

Foon: Mancala is definitely a board game. Even if you play old-school style with 12 holes in the dirt + a bunch of rocks. Razz I haven't played that in so long... fun game though. The ladies do seem to like it, I find. Wink

Frost: How did you learn how to play chess well? Did you just teach yourself from books/online or did you have some one teach you stuff? I'm kind of curious to try and properly learn how to play but never get around to it. I guess chess strategy always seemed to me like it involved a lot of memorization - "AHA! The classic [name here] opening! I know the counter to that!" - but then again I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it.

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
~Dakine..HeX

quick scrabble is nothing in particular, its just a timed version of scrabble. you start with 10 minutes (or less, but usually 10), when you are on the clock you start your timer, when you make your play you stop your timer and the other player begins his clock.

you win by either score or if they other guy runs out of time. its exciting because there is a fair bit of strategy of when to spend some time to get a bingo (or just a very strong word if your letters look like u can put something together), but other times you will be pressed for time OR you know the other guy is pressed for time so you want to just play fast and push the turn back to him without letting him look @ the board and think of his move while you're going. and a lot of your moves are there just to block the other guy.

most games end with a frantic race to the finish, since its embarassing to get timed out. and its nice to know ahead of time that this game of scrabble will last exactly 20 minutes, no more, no less.

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:31 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

and it makes for a fantastic gambling game, $5 or $10 per game

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:33 pm 
Bobbo

That actually sounds pretty fun. I'll have to try it out. I usually take like 10 mins per move in Scrabble (I'm no good with words Razz) so it will definitely be a challenge... haha.

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:18 pm 

i've competed in chess also. i've got a few trophies. my best finish was second. i fucked up early in the finals match and got stomped out in like 19 or 20 moves. i'll transcribe some of my games from my book someday and put them up here maybe.

i mostly learned from books, but playing a lot definitely helps. i haven't played in a few years.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:57 am 
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo
Risk is fun but I dunno bout that one turn per day thing for it. Risk is all about player interaction and allying/screwing over/manipulating people so I feel like that would be lost over the course of 200 turns-per-day. Doesn't it take like a year to finish a game, blid? Haha.
hmm i think it's much faster than that, most games probably end udner a week and i play about 15 at a time. log in once a day, take my turns, less than 1 min per game probably.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:07 am 
~Dakine..HeX

i sort of agree with bobbo, risk and monopoly and certain other board games dont really translate well out of real-time, human interaction, because of all the side rules and special deals that are part of it.

i love risk, but logging into a BB and making 15 moves in 15 games that are @ 15 random points of the game, with 15 random people....seems extremely blah

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:59 pm 
cpt^Claw

board games?

hehe thats a tough question. when i am board i just run w2 Smile

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 pm 
SaBiQ

We tried out caylus. It took about an hour just to get a handle on the rules, although once you learn them it's not terribly complicated. The actual game took us (two players) about 2.5 hours to play.

It's nice that there's several ways to get points, and also I like how each of the tiles lends itself to a totally different strategy. I think it would be a lot different with more than two players (for instance you have to plan ahead to make sure you can build enough castle bits). There would also be more tiles on the board, and thus the provost would be a play a much larger part in the game.

We're definitely gonna play again. How long does the average game take you online?

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:22 pm 
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
i sort of agree with bobbo, risk and monopoly and certain other board games dont really translate well out of real-time, human interaction, because of all the side rules and special deals that are part of it.

i love risk, but logging into a BB and making 15 moves in 15 games that are @ 15 random points of the game, with 15 random people....seems extremely blah
ive played risk in real life and it's better than playing with the dice and board. because that shit, though the scheming and politicking and whinging is fun as hell, drags on into hell. shit gets painful, brutal. on the bbs if i have 30 armies and dude has 25 i can attack and just hold down (Y)es i wanna attack again for 5 seconds and the battle is fought, real time that takes like 20 minutes and is sickening.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

but thats sort of part of it to, rolling dice and watching them hit the dice container (one side of the box) has sort of a visceral quality to it that I think a lot of people enjoy.

throwing dice in craps is the extreme example of this, or perhaps watching the ball spin around a roulette wheel. if they have electronic roulette (probably they do), I can't imagine it being very popular.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:11 pm 
Fast Luck

what if you have to sit there and roll endlessly, tediously, for like 15 minutes

quote:

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:13 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

i suppose not every dice roll is as exciting as the next *shrug* but some are very exciting

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:14 pm 
Bobbo

quote:
Originally posted by SaBiQ
We tried out caylus. It took about an hour just to get a handle on the rules, although once you learn them it's not terribly complicated. The actual game took us (two players) about 2.5 hours to play.

It's nice that there's several ways to get points, and also I like how each of the tiles lends itself to a totally different strategy. I think it would be a lot different with more than two players (for instance you have to plan ahead to make sure you can build enough castle bits). There would also be more tiles on the board, and thus the provost would be a play a much larger part in the game.

We're definitely gonna play again. How long does the average game take you online?

I haven't played it on that site yet - part of the reason is it seems most of the players are German and I know very little German. Plus, I'm afraid to mess up or take too long with my turns (I've only played about 7 games). I watched a 1on1 at one point and it only took the people about 25 minutes since they were quick thinkers. I probably would have taken much longer though. I figure it would be best to start with some English speaking fellow noob for a game. Wink

The game plays just as well with 2 as with 4 (5 is a little too much IMO). But you're right in that the game will play differently with more or less players. With 2 players, the Inn tends to not be nearly as important as with 4, gold is easier to get a hold of, and like you said the provost is not as scary. Also, you're able to focus on more than 2 favor tracks which seems impossible in 4+ players.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:56 am 
SaBiQ

Bobbo, your site is awesome. I just played a couple games of Dominion on there. I can teach you how to play if you want. It's easy to learn, and pretty fast paced.

Also, I would love to try a game of Caylus. Hit me up on aim: epb613

Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:01 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

i spent a fair amount of this weekend playing sequence with the gf, its a pretty fun game. i had never played sequence before, here is my review:

sequence is a board game that mixes the luck of a card-drawing game, with the move-strategy of a board game. It is a very uncomplicated game to learn but clearly good depth of strategy. I enjoyed playing it, would recommend.

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:25 pm 
Doritoe-

MAKE VERSUS INTO A BOARD GAME.. OMFG IM SO BRILLIANT.. SEND ME SOME ROYALTIES WHEN YOU MAKE IT BIG THX

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:24 pm 
Fast Luck

quote:

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:40 pm 
Bobbo

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
i spent a fair amount of this weekend playing sequence with the gf, its a pretty fun game. i had never played sequence before, here is my review:

sequence is a board game that mixes the luck of a card-drawing game, with the move-strategy of a board game. It is a very uncomplicated game to learn but clearly good depth of strategy. I enjoyed playing it, would recommend.

Yeah, my gf loves that game. It is pretty fun, especially with 3 people since it gets so chaotic. Her favorite game is Mastermind and she is damn good at it. She tends to like the games she always wins at, come to think of it! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Doritoe-
MAKE VERSUS INTO A BOARD GAME.. OMFG IM SO BRILLIANT.. SEND ME SOME ROYALTIES WHEN YOU MAKE IT BIG THX

I've always wanted to try to design a board game. I used to make them as a kid (they sucked), but OMFG a war2 board game would be pretty badass.

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

i'll cosign mastermind, i grew up playing that one, and its been far too long since i played. next time im at store that has board games i definitely will look for mastermind, thx bobbo for reminding me of this epic game.

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 pm 
$paCe

someone should invent a bored game based on dakines forum career.

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 pm 
Fast Luck

it would be boring, but ironic.

quote:

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote: