FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

OLD CLANS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Swift

POS was never nearly refined/understood as GOW was on BNE.

What I'm saying is, if the top GOW player's decided to favor friends for a bit, do you really think you would be #1? Of course not. But even if you could somehow still remain number 1, you would never know.

Saying you're #1 on another map is a lot like a boxer saying hes #1 in his small/lesser organization, he may be, but it doesn't matter because if the guys from the main shows came over he would get squashed. Hes only at the top because thats not where the party is at.

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by Swift

What I'm saying is, if the top GOW player's decided to favor friends for a bit, do you really think you would be #1? Of course not. But even if you could somehow still remain number 1, you would never know.

Saying you're #1 on another map is a lot like a boxer saying hes #1 in his small/lesser organization, he may be, but it doesn't matter because if the guys from the main shows came over he would get squashed. Hes only at the top because thats not where the party is at.

very similar to being the #1 (or #3 thanks to viruz and sg) in the year 2012

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 pm 
Lightbringer-

Let me put it it in simple terms:

I play 20-25 'training matches' vs a customs player (NOT ONLY AT THE ONE SHITTY PUD HE PLAYS BUT A VARIETY OF CUSTOMS) and I am sure, I will be able to win some/many games.

The customs player comes over to F or EF speed on classic/bne maps and trains for 100 games, I am sure he will not win a single one of them.

Thats how bad and far apart the real RTS gamers will tear the customs players who I will again state it "maps made by the newbies for the newbies"

Heck, think about it:
A newbie getting raped on pos/gow thinks of something where he will live longer than 2 minutes and not die against grunts - CHOP CHOP IS BORN!!

Another fucktard who gets resources raped like 10-50x more mining by his opponent creates a FREE MAP!! where he has all the res he needs!!BGH?? Free Castles ?? is born!!!

A moron cant compete with dks/lust in free, DAMN FREE CASTLES NO AIR NO MAGIC IS BORN!! YAY

haha. It goes on and on.

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

Clan War2
Clan DSx

Both from zone Laughing

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:22 am 
Swift

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
quote:

very similar to being the #1 (or #3 thanks to viruz and sg) in the year 2012

I haven't been going around saying/acting like I'm #1 in years, so you fail. And I haven't produced more excitement than a yawn out of anyone in over 3 years.

p.s viruz owns

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:24 am 
Ywfn

quote:

There were thousands of players pre bnet and POS/low was initially the map of choice for a long, long time when the player base was much, much larger. I think your analogy actually works in reverse. Being the GOW champion today is like being the #1 boxer in a smaller/lesser organization (actually it's more like being the champion after no one but a few people care about boxing any longer).

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:33 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

swift you've admitted you dont know anything about war2 pre-BNE so why are you arguing with all these people who played war2 for years before BNE came out when they tell you you're wrong? jesus dude, its ok to be wrong sometimes

he is right about friends.pud though, thats a lame gimmick map and i say that as someone who was pretty good on it 1v1

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:51 am 
Swift

quote:
Originally posted by Ywfn
quote:

There were thousands of players pre bnet and POS/low was initially the map of choice for a long, long time when the player base was much, much larger. I think your analogy actually works in reverse. Being the GOW champion today is like being the #1 boxer in a smaller/lesser organization (actually it's more like being the champion after no one but a few people care about boxing any longer).

Yeah, well from what I observed on bnet there wasn't a lot of people playing POS on compared to how many played GOW. If I am wrong about that then you can let me know. I am not speaking about pre bne days as I said. If POS/low really was the premiere map pre bnet then people claiming they're #1 on it is fine.

As for my analogy. How does it work in reverse? Consider that I am not talking about the modern GOW champion today, so I don't know why thats brought up.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:52 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

his point is war2 was already on life support at best by the time BNE came out, in fact that's the whole reason blizzard repackaged the game for b.net

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:54 pm 
Swift

I see, I never knew it was like that. How many more players were there back then compared to on battle.net?

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:00 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
I see, I never knew it was like that. How many more players were there back then compared to on battle.net?

1997-1999 I'd say you had easily 10-15000 players. For me the game was most fun 1996-1997 playing with Shlonglor, In clan, SC clan, Platypus, etc. It wasn't as stupid as the game got 5 years later. We played every map, every setting, and enjoyed it just for the fun of it. People played humans and orc and it was just much more fun than it was later years on.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
SoCxEcLiPzE

Like i said... i said the friends thing as a joke... although IMHO its no less legit than GoW. And what you say about "gow" players would eventually overcome any other play on their settings is highly illogical. It is not about being a "gow" player that makes you good... it is understanding the game as a whole and being able to adapt it/learn a map until your good at it. Like i said there was a time when POS was way more popular than gow... and to this day I still think it offers more than GoW ever did.

Anyway... yes... if the top gow players decided to play friends for a bit... I would still probably waste them... as this happened more than you think it did. I don't even really think I was #1... Sanrio... the dude who taught me it... was better than me Smile

Last edited by SoCxEcLiPzE on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by SoCxEcLiPzE
Like i said... i said the friends thing as a joke... although IMHO its no less legit than GoW. And what you say about "gow" players would eventually overcome any other play on their settings is highly illogical. It is not about being a "gow" player that makes you good... it is understanding the game as a whole and being able to adapt it/learn a map until your good at it. Like i said there was a time when POS was way more popular than gow... and to this day I still think it offers more than GoW ever did.

friends is way less legit than gow...

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:

I don't see how? It's just another map with a different play style... I just have a soft spot for it

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
DrunkeN

Ahhh the pre-bnet days. Unfortunatly I was a Mac gamer and could only play through Gameranger or MAG. Back with direct connect and people would post their ip to play. POS was a very popular map as was b2b. We played on the faster setting too and had to use the lumber bug. Good times.

Pretty much once SC1 then BW came out most of the wc2 community went away.

Not sure if this adds to the convo but felt sharing.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:

I don't see how? It's just another map with a different play style... I just have a soft spot for it

not all maps and play styles are equal. its like saying checkers is just as legit as chess, it just has a "different play style"

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:08 pm 
Swift

quote:
Like i said... i said the friends thing as a joke... although IMHO its no less legit than GoW.

Shocked This isn't something I would have expected you to say

GOW is unbelievably more complex with a much higher skill curve. Comparing the two maps is like comparing tic tac toe to chess. Friends is one of the easy and more simple of maps made by blizzard.

quote:
And what you say about "gow" players would eventually overcome any other play on their settings is highly illogical. It is not about being a "gow" player that makes you good... it is understanding the game as a whole and being able to adapt it/learn a map until your good at it.

It's not "highly illogical" at all, you're completely misinterpreting what I said. I didn't say it's about being a GOW player that makes someone good, I said that "the good players were all primarily playing gow and not maps like friends. Or to put it into your words, "gow players better understood the game as a whole."

quote:
Like i said there was a time when POS was way more popular than gow... and to this day I still think it offers more than GoW ever did.

Maybe it does. I don't personally see that potential in POS, but who knows.

quote:
Anyway... yes... if the top gow players decided to play friends for a bit... I would still probably waste them... as this happened more than you think it did. I don't even really think I was #1... Sanrio... the dude who taught me it... was better than me Smile

Lol. You're a little too high on yourself. The top players would wreck you at it if they practiced it for a bit.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:27 pm 
Allstar

i can't believe i'm actually typing this but i agree with swift on the pos vs gow thing. As someone who played POS extensively on case's etc pre bne... it degenerated into 3fb/4fb hard rushes literally every game (this is low of course.) while it's fun in a way to see who can execute the low res build order better, its alot less involved and easier to master than gow ever is.

The reason GOW owns is because its got it all, hard to defend small mines, middle, and each spot is so wildly different from the next you are forced to switch your game up constantly. Its not like BNE/F where you can literally do the same strat over and over and over ad nauseum

And the reason its still mainly played today is because the community's so small nobody wants to risk losing face learning a new map. Its not worth it also because you will never get a string of consecutive games going on random maps to even get good at them in the first place. Usually you can get one or two then people start yelling for gow so the metagame will always end up on gow.

Part of the problem also is 75% of the community being unable to host. This really needs to be a top priority to fix. I've done everything as far as opening ports etc and its helped me not at all. blid and $pace need to kiss and make up and put their collective resources together and fix ru so that everyone can host all the time.

This is truly what kills the game more than anything else.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

friends actually had some serious complexity in 2v2 games, or 2v2(v2v2) or 4v4

as a 1v1 map, it was fairly dull. and not really on gow's level in either case.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:31 pm 
Fast Luck

did you ever play a friends 2v2 vs guys who would fill the entire left and right side with towers

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:33 pm 
Seuss

lets play some kpuds

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

yes friends as a 2v2 map is serious business... it had just as much complexity as gow IMO..... There are MANY strats....i'll name a few

1. Double rush (just like gow...lots of choices in how to do this...1rax / 2 rax... and timing your hits in a friends game is a HUGE importance that can either fuck your rush up, or make it.)

2. Single rush for one player while other player builds towers for defense and once again...many choices here.... do a quick ogre wave and end it early or power to lust?

3. One player runs defensive towrring, other 1rax rushes, the player who towered DK rushes the opposing goldmine and the game shortly ends.

4. Leaning wall defense (farming the front entrace, and ofc back) and playing complete defense with a choke and a cat while powering.

5. Fuck I've seen people pull off dragon rushing on friends.

The point is.... you reducing friends to "checkers" is a product of your limitations/experience on the map. If you hung out in Orc Strategy in the early days or were on kali... you know what i'm talking about.

I would say that you all feel this way about gow as a result of it ending up as literally the only pud played.... but other maps had just as much competition and innovation back in the day. Fuck... even taiga and Schwartz were viable!

Also....YES to kpuds

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 pm 
BonerChamp69

quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-

I play 20-25 'training matches' vs a customs player (NOT ONLY AT THE ONE SHITTY PUD HE PLAYS BUT A VARIETY OF CUSTOMS) and I am sure, I will be able to win some/many games.

The customs player comes over to F or EF speed on classic/bne maps and trains for 100 games, I am sure he will not win a single one of them.

Thats how bad and far apart the real RTS gamers will tear the customs players who I will again state it "maps made by the newbies for the newbies"

Heck, think about it:
A newbie getting raped on pos/gow thinks of something where he will live longer than 2 minutes and not die against grunts - CHOP CHOP IS BORN!!

Another fucktard who gets resources raped like 10-50x more mining by his opponent creates a FREE MAP!! where he has all the res he needs!!BGH?? Free Castles ?? is born!!!

A moron cant compete with dks/lust in free, DAMN FREE CASTLES NO AIR NO MAGIC IS BORN!! YAY

haha. It goes on and on.

Not true, in my first month of 1v1's of ever playing gow ef, i beat you in a 1v1. Yes, it was probably a fluke but it disproves the whole 100 game analogy hehe.

Once again, I know classic gow is much more skillful than customs, but no need to exaggerate how difficult the transition is.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

quote:
Originally posted by BonerChamp69
quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-

Heck, think about it:

haha. It goes on and on.

Not true, in my first month of 1v1's of ever playing gow ef, i beat you in a 1v1. Yes, it was probably a fluke but it disproves the whole 100 game analogy hehe.

Once again, I know classic gow is much more skillful than customs, but no need to exaggerate how difficult the transition is.

lightbringer there is a huge difference in some of the older customs that were played in the community we're referring to and the newbier free versions that came later.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:25 pm 
Swift

quote:
yes friends as a 2v2 map is serious business... it had just as much complexity as gow IMO..... There are MANY strats....i'll name a few

1. Double rush (just like gow...lots of choices in how to do this...1rax / 2 rax... and timing your hits in a friends game is a HUGE importance that can either fuck your rush up, or make it.)

2. Single rush for one player while other player builds towers for defense and once again...many choices here.... do a quick ogre wave and end it early or power to lust?

3. One player runs defensive towrring, other 1rax rushes, the player who towered DK rushes the opposing goldmine and the game shortly ends.

4. Leaning wall defense (farming the front entrace, and ofc back) and playing complete defense with a choke and a cat while powering.

5. Fuck I've seen people pull off dragon rushing on friends.

The point is.... you reducing friends to "checkers" is a product of your limitations/experience on the map. If you hung out in Orc Strategy in the early days or were on kali... you know what i'm talking about.

I would say that you all feel this way about gow as a result of it ending up as literally the only pud played.... but other maps had just as much competition and innovation back in the day. Fuck... even taiga and Schwartz were viable!

Also....YES to kpuds

nice speech. you don't know what you're talking about and you're so far off that its apparent that it would be a waste of time to even trying to educate you on how much more depth gow has than a gimmick pud like friends.

if there were something you could argue in war2 terms that would be equivalent to tman's recent rants which convinced the census that hes delusional and borderline retarded, then this would be it.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:51 pm 
turtleman@can

Sorry but you can't escape the fact that you're a map hacker or that you don't and will never know shit about war2 other than how to maphack on gow/high against the shadow of what used to be an online community Laughing

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:23 am 
Swift

thats right, i dont know shit about war2 and my hacks just carry my fat ass

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:14 am 
turtleman@can

Don't try to play it off with sarcasm. You're a maphacker that started playing war2 when everyone else quit. Deal with it Laughing

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:37 am 
Swift

I am trying to and it's eating me up. I especially wish I had the skill to put aside this facade that my hacks have given me

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:52 am 
turtleman@can

is there a term where you feign sarcasm while actually speaking the truth? because that's what swift is doing right now.

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:56 am