FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

GSL Season 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
7VlesSiah

GSL Season 3

Like I predicted right after the patch, Toss suck now. The qualifying races for GSL season 3.

day 1 2 total
zerg 12 14 26
terr 12 13 25
toss 7 5 12
rand 1 0 1

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:41 pm 
turtleman@can

I don't really think that this qualifies as definite proof that they suck. I think it's more to do with the fact that they're boring

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 pm 
DrunkeN

lol I luv how every has to go by the "GSL Standard" Dude its a huge fucking tournament.

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
I don't really think that this qualifies as definite proof that they suck. I think it's more to do with the fact that they're boring

It's that toss has limited options and is forced to play a certain way and protoss can be exploited because of this TBH i actually agree with messiah, toss lacks some serious options. I don't expect any protoss to make it to ro4 this time either.

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:32 pm 
Frostbitten

protoss have some creative options but they are usually really micro heavy which means your macro suffers Sad since sc2 is more of a macro game than a micro game you have to win the game fairly quick or have a really difficult time in the late game

but as a protoss player i can attest to the fact that their options are far less dynamic than the terran or zerg's

http://YouTube.com/war2combat | http://YouTube.com/FrostbittenWarcraft | http://www.denverchess.com | http://www.BureauA.com

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 pm 
BanMe

My biggest problem with toss is that zealots are useless without *real* leg upgrades, and they are the core mineral unit. Compare them to marines or speedlings throughout early-mid-late game and they are so completely the most useless. If toss just had regular speedlegs like in SC1 and not the rush crap I think it would be a much more interesting metagame

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:08 pm 
Kalmah

I think the key is to use all spare minerals for photon cannons and other infrastructure (multiple forges and cybernetics cores for faster upgrades etc.) instead of zealots. Meanwhile tech up to aircraft.

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:38 am 
Rat

Use blink more. excellent spell.

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:02 am 
Biggs.

quote:
Originally posted by Kalmah
I think the key is to use all spare minerals for photon cannons and other infrastructure (multiple forges and cybernetics cores for faster upgrades etc.) instead of zealots. Meanwhile tech up to aircraft.

Why would anyone get 2 cy cores??

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 am 
foonat

quote:
excellent strategy

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 am 
BanMe

quote:

they're not exactly "spare" minerals, they're minerals that can't be spent even near as cost effectively. I've tried replacing cannons with zealots it's horrific as one might expect since they are stationary.

Blinks not bad but it's on a fragile ass unit, it's easy for stalkers to fall to pieces quickly. Marauders or tanks for terran will kill an army of stalkers in seconds, against zerg it's more viable but you're still very vulnerable to ling surrounds and late game there's no answer to ultralisks. But yeah blink with expert micro is one of toss's options

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:03 pm 
turtleman@can

usually if a toss player switches it up to zealots/immos they'll counter my ultras. the problem is when they're still making collosus/stalkers/sentries.

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:29 pm 
Kith-Kanin

I think my win rate vs zerg is about 90% and about 25% vs terran. I'm about 50% vs toss.

Most zerg I'll either do a 3 gate all zeals with 2 immortal timing push and take out their fe which basically evens up the game and then they'll lose to collossus--or I'll go fast phoenixes, and harass the crap out of them, so they will start pumping hydras, at which point the 2-3 collossus I've already built will just dominate them.

I've never had a zerg make it to tier 3 when I've played them and I've played some pretty solid zergs. One guy was #1 diamond with about 1500 games played and about a 2200 rating.

Terran on the other hand. I've started getting better at playing them but occasionally there's on or two that will make ghosts and just beat the piss out of me. M&M plus ghost is retardedly strong for how early you can get them with EMP.

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggs.

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
I think my win rate vs zerg is about 90% and about 25% vs terran. I'm about 50% vs toss.

Most zerg I'll either do a 3 gate all zeals with 2 immortal timing push and take out their fe which basically evens up the game and then they'll lose to collossus--or I'll go fast phoenixes, and harass the crap out of them, so they will start pumping hydras, at which point the 2-3 collossus I've already built will just dominate them.

I've never had a zerg make it to tier 3 when I've played them and I've played some pretty solid zergs. One guy was #1 diamond with about 1500 games played and about a 2200 rating.

Terran on the other hand. I've started getting better at playing them but occasionally there's on or two that will make ghosts and just beat the piss out of me. M&M plus ghost is retardedly strong for how early you can get them with EMP.

Against Terran is my best match up right now. I exp early almost every game (between 27-35, depends on map and what he is doing) and it works great.
I hate zerg, muta ling is so hard to deal with. If they donīt go muta ling I usually win.
PvP is almost always war of the worlds, I wish they do something about this to make it more interesting.

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:06 pm 
Rat

quote:
Originally posted by Biggs.
Against Terran is my best match up right now. I exp early almost every game (between 27-35, depends on map and what he is doing) and it works great.
I hate zerg, muta ling is so hard to deal with. If they donīt go muta ling I usually win.
PvP is almost always war of the worlds, I wish they do something about this to make it more interesting.

why is muta ling so hard? Phoenix owns mutas hard.

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:40 am 
x

Brackets - http://www.youplayoff.com/playoff/291/(2010+GSL)+Sony+Ericsson+STARCRAFT+II+Open+Season+3

I think Idra's gonna be raped at Ro32 by MVP, though I hope he makes it to semi-final with Zenio again after the "flash in the pan" comment.

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:23 pm 
Rat

just checked the brackets. 95% koreans lol.

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:44 pm 
DrunkeN

quote:
Originally posted by Rat

hmmm what? Its in Korea... Confused

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggs.

quote:
Originally posted by Rat
quote:
Originally posted by Biggs.

why is muta ling so hard? Phoenix owns mutas hard.

I just canīt get a hang on it, my phoenix game sucks too.

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:59 pm 
Frostbitten

the best counter to muta ling is colossus and phoenix but it is immensely more gas heavy and since its easier for zerg to expand and get more gas....

http://YouTube.com/war2combat | http://YouTube.com/FrostbittenWarcraft | http://www.denverchess.com | http://www.BureauA.com

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 pm 
Rat

quote:
Originally posted by DrunkeN
quote:
Originally posted by Rat

oh I thought it was a world tournament

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:49 am 
DrunkeN

quote:
Originally posted by Rat
quote:
Originally posted by DrunkeN
quote:
Originally posted by Rat

oh I thought it was a world tournament

It would be if the qualifiers were World Wide, but for the most part its all Koreans who participate with a hand full of foreigners.

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:41 am 
7VlesSiah

A handful of the top foreigners in the world by blizzard ranking and they haven't done very well(Jinro and Haypro finally qualified and the top 10 NA Huk didn't get in GSL S3). I think skill-wise GSL is representative of the best in the world.

Post Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 pm 
turtleman@can

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the best in korea + the foreigners that moved to korea to become the best probably make up about 99% of the top players in the world.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:43 am 
Sypher

Strat tendencies are changing too fast to determine the best in the world, imo.

Toss need to quit QQing. Talking about how they have limited options. Lawl. Play zerg if you want to complain about being forced to do certain builds.

There really hasn't been a toss that has 'wowed' me. Toss just needs one or two players to figure it out, much like how Fruitdealer did for zerg.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:03 pm 
BanMe

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
Toss just needs one or two players to figure it out, much like how Fruitdealer did for zerg.

It's not like fruitdealer just figured everything out, he showed zerg was good and meanwhile blizzard also buffed the shit out of them.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:51 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe
quote:
Toss just needs one or two players to figure it out, much like how Fruitdealer did for zerg.

It's not like fruitdealer just figured everything out, he showed zerg was good and meanwhile blizzard also buffed the shit out of them.

Zerg was still lacking severely before the buffs. I think the roach range might be too much; however, I don't think that is the reason why toss is having a hard time.

My point is, toss players bitch and complain without trying out different shit. All toss just go mass stalker sentry collosus for a 1a push. They bitch when they lose to an unpressured 5base zerg vs their 2-3 base. Of course toss will lose if they let zerg go unpunished. It was the same thing in BW.

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 am 
Rat

Roaches arent too powerfull.

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:53 am 
Picka_materina

quote:
My point is, toss players bitch and complain without trying out different shit.

Funny how whiners rationalize other races, while they were the same ones that whined before (this goes out to you and like gazzilion other players). Its like on every forum. One is gona whine that storm is OP, and then go and say "ghost is hard to use" and stupid shit like that.

I mean, i'm kind of getting used to seeing all the whining going on with sc2 which race is OP, which is not, lots of crybabies, but it's strange seeing something like that on a war2 forum, where bloodlust is clearly OP, where 12/2 on gow is clearly OP against 8 or 6, yet people played, learned and evened out the positions and made the game MORE INTERESTING.

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:05 am 
Rat

quote:
Originally posted by Picka_materina
quote:
My point is, toss players bitch and complain without trying out different shit.

Funny how whiners rationalize other races, while they were the same ones that whined before (this goes out to you and like gazzilion other players). Its like on every forum. One is gona whine that storm is OP, and then go and say "ghost is hard to use" and stupid shit like that.

I mean, i'm kind of getting used to seeing all the whining going on with sc2 which race is OP, which is not, lots of crybabies, but it's strange seeing something like that on a war2 forum, where bloodlust is clearly OP, where 12/2 on gow is clearly OP against 8 or 6, yet people played, learned and evened out the positions and made the game MORE INTERESTING.

Ya but we play wc2 for fun and sc2 to win.

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 am