FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

What level do you say a player is "good"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
AGNB

What level do you say a player is "good"?

My opinion is ~800 = good ~1000 = very good ~1200+ = elite

diamond means that you can play the game, counter units, expand etc....

Is there a cap for ladder points or will people just accumulate indefinitely? With the way bonus pool works, if you maintain 1-1 or .500 ratio you will eventually keep going up in points unless there is a threshold where losses lose more than wins win.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 am 
Shotgun_

Im 950ish and i blow

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:31 am 
AGNB

lol I blow too but 800+ diamond puts you in top 1% of NA server... top 1% should be good?

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 am 
Sypher

I play a lot different on ladder than I do in tournaments. Ladder = test new shit. Ladder isnt a good way to judge someones skill, imo.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 am 
turtleman@can

I've completely assraped some rank #1 1k+ diamond players who were pretty bad and then gotten manhandled by 600 pt diamond players who were clearly superior to me. I think that all of the best players are in diamond, but I don't think point totals are a clear indicator of skill. Although I think most people take ladder games seriously as evident by the rage ratio of my opponents. I'd say that at least 50% of my opponents have broken their keyboards in rage. And about 20% of them have added me as a friend afterwards so they could continue to rage and then ignored me before I could respond.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 pm 
turtleman@can

also I am finding that the ladder is not making much sense to me. I seem to lose more pts for losing than when I win and 90% of my games are against higher ranked/higher pt total opponents. I just earned 9 pts for beating a rank 6 1k diamond player and then lost 14 pts for losing to a rank #1 diamond player. Meanwhile I'm ranked like 20 with just under 800 pts.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:16 pm 
BanMe

Yeah happens to me too, as you get higher ranked the stakes are higher and you have to stay at a higher win % to gain points - 50% wont cut it.

But it helps if you let your bonus points build up Smile

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 pm 
The_G0D

I am 1125, is this good?

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:15 am 
BanMe

Re: What level do you say a player is "good"?

I'd say anyone over 1100 is definitely pretty damn good. 1000 mark can still have some stragglers on a lucky streak or cheese or something. But I've seen loads of people in 800-900 range with hundreds of games play but aren't that good, which is why they might have 5 or 10 times as many games played as me but can't seem to move up in rank / points. I'm currently at 1000 but I'm consistently moving up, as I only have 100 games played anyway, about 60% win. Well, 100 games played on each of my 2 names, which both have about exactly the same win loss record, but one is about 100 points higher due to , well, I guess luck on who I played.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:31 am 
AGNB

Also, what server do the NZers and australians play on? how is the competition? US seems decent, obviously behind the korean crazys though

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 am 
The_G0D

SEA/ANZ

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:45 am 
NaLzyMan

heh

I wouldn't really say someone is good unless they are above 1400 (If it is a player that isn't already constantly playing custom games vs other top players)

Obviously a lot of the top players who can consistently set up customs vs other good players don't even need to ladder.

That bar was at 1200 a week or two ago and 1k before that.

Due to blizzard's ladder system + bonus pool there is massive inflation which is probably meant to give casual players a consistent sense of progression.

Obviously having a higher win percentage always helps you out more than having a lower win percentage, but blizzard's MMR system is so inflated that you can see people easily get up to the top ranks with roughly a 60% win rate, Because as long as the MMR system keeps inflating and keeps putting you up against other players with inflated mmr similar to your own, you can still get good points even if you are really high points wise.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Rat

maybe something like this:

top 10,000 good
top 5,000 very good
top 1,000 elit

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:33 am 
turtleman@can

Re: heh

quote:
Originally posted by NaLzyMan
I wouldn't really say someone is good unless they are above 1400 (If it is a player that isn't already constantly playing custom games vs other top players)

Obviously a lot of the top players who can consistently set up customs vs other good players don't even need to ladder.

That bar was at 1200 a week or two ago and 1k before that.

Due to blizzard's ladder system + bonus pool there is massive inflation which is probably meant to give casual players a consistent sense of progression.

Obviously having a higher win percentage always helps you out more than having a lower win percentage, but blizzard's MMR system is so inflated that you can see people easily get up to the top ranks with roughly a 60% win rate, Because as long as the MMR system keeps inflating and keeps putting you up against other players with inflated mmr similar to your own, you can still get good points even if you are really high points wise.

1400+ pts puts a player in the top 200. Basically you're saying that only the top 200 players out of millions of people are considered good.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:38 pm 
The_G0D

nalzyman never did have any idea Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:08 pm 
Sypher

I dont think you guys realize the the skill gap between people like those on this forum and people like Huk, KiwiKai, Idra, etc. I don't think there is a single person on this forum who could take a game off one of them in a best of 5.

Compared to Idra and Dimaga, my zerg is completely newb even though I am able to compete vs most high level diamond players.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:24 pm 
The_G0D

Ok w/e you say fanboy, I played Idra 2 days ago and went 3-3. Want my autograph too?

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:28 pm 
NaLzyMan

heh

Well I said 1400+ if you aren't someone that is constantly playing customs vs top players.

But I guess it all depends on your definition of good, if you mean capable of 1v2ing a couple homeless guys, then a lot of people are good.

But as sypher indicated, there is a large gap in skill from a certain group of players and the average person on these forums. It's pretty hard to consider someone "good" when they would have zero chance of beating someone that is actually good.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

I like sc2 in that I can beat the hell out of a 200 apm player with my giant balls and brains whereas in bw, I would get schooled no matter what I or he did.

Also sypher I'm pretty sure I would rape any of those players in a bo5 with random on their maps while drinking whiskey and smoking a cigar. Especially Idra, that guy plays like a complete retard. After the rape I would probably stuff him in a locker and put his glasses on upside down.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:36 pm 
turtleman@can

also doug I want your autograph pref on a mousepad

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:43 pm 
Shotgun_

To many nut riders on this forum. Much like the early war2 days.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:58 pm 
BanMe

quote:
Well I said 1400+ if you aren't someone that is constantly playing customs vs top players.

But I guess it all depends on your definition of good, if you mean capable of 1v2ing a couple homeless guys, then a lot of people are good.

But as sypher indicated, there is a large gap in skill from a certain group of players and the average person on these forums. It's pretty hard to consider someone "good" when they would have zero chance of beating someone that is actually good.

lol, just now noticed it was Nalzy. Louson beat idra in beta, and I also beat some of those guys in the major tournaments, or at least competed in close games I could have won if I had time to play more than an hour or two a day.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:00 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe
lol, just now noticed it was Nalzy. Louson beat idra in beta , and I also beat some of those guys in the major tournaments, or at least competed in close games I could have won if I had time to play more than an hour or two a day.

Keyword here is beta. I beat Lz and drewbie in beta and had some pretty long/close games with people like incontrol, huk, and slush.

Now that retail is out and these dudes have unlimited time to play(not to mention extensive bw experience, which translates a lot better than war2/3), I probably would get crushed by them 95% of the time.

I am sure there are a few people who *could* get to the same level as the very top tier, but most of us are now at least in our mid twenties with life responsibilities that will hinder us.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:29 pm 
Sypher

I also think its hilarious that 'The God' is puffing his chest out as if he is any good. SEA is without a doubt the weakest region in SC2. roffles.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:31 pm 
NaLzyMan

quote:
quote:

lol, just now noticed it was Nalzy. Louson beat idra in beta, and I also beat some of those guys in the major tournaments, or at least competed in close games I could have won if I had time to play more than an hour or two a day.

Which top tourney player have you beaten in live ash?

Also who cares about beta stories really, beta was beta, people improve, the idra of now is not the same as the idra in beta that was incapable of playing 1 base zerg. The huk now isn't even the same as the huk from IEM a couple weeks ago who was unable to even get past group stages.

In the present 1400 is pretty much the ladder rating at which you can say a player is fairly well rounded and has polished most of his play. Obviously it isn't 100% accurate but anything below that is still very sloppy. Of course with the exception that i've stated before, of players who don't play ladder a lot but get lots of custom game practice vs other top players.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 pm 
BanMe

quote:

Also who cares about beta stories really, beta was beta, people improve, the idra of now is not the same as the idra in beta that was incapable of playing 1 base zerg. The huk now isn't even the same as the huk from IEM a couple weeks ago who was unable to even get past group stages. But I do wish he would use more wind-based attacks

Fanboyism overdrive engaged

Well if you want to say its above 1400 - that's your opinion. I think it's pretty silly to say something like "if you can't beat the best person / people in the world, you aren't any good" - compare that to a real sport / activity / pretty much anything. That's not really how people mean "good".

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:51 pm 
NaLzyMan

quote:
quote:

Also who cares about beta stories really, beta was beta, people improve, the idra of now is not the same as the idra in beta that was incapable of playing 1 base zerg. The huk now isn't even the same as the huk from IEM a couple weeks ago who was unable to even get past group stages. But I do wish he would use more wind-based attacks

Fanboyism overdrive engaged

Well if you want to say its above 1400 - that's your opinion. I think it's pretty silly to say something like "if you can't beat the best person / people in the world, you aren't any good" - compare that to a real sport / activity / pretty much anything. That's not really how people mean "good".

And again, which good player have you beaten in live?

1400 doesn't make you one of the best in the world. The difference between someone like idra, and your 1400 level player is still night and day. But the difference between a 1400 player and a 1200 player is also night and day.

But I mean if you want to use the word "good" relative to silver or bronze players then sure there are a lot of good players, but in reality those players are probably closer to the silver and bronze players in skill, than they are to the top players.

Last edited by NaLzyMan on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:43 pm 
turtleman@can

nalzyman and sypher are raging because war2 players kinda own shit without even trying

Laughing

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:44 pm 
NaLzyMan

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
nalzyman and sypher are raging because war2 players kinda own shit without even trying

Laughing

I wish that were the case but I don't even think a lot of war2 players have broken 1k.

And while ladder is not a completely accurate representation of how competent you are, there are some standards still. 1k now is like 600 a couple weeks ago due to ladder inflation.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm 
BanMe

quote:
1k now is like 600 a couple weeks ago due to ladder inflation.

That's just a retarded statement

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:08 pm