Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Situation Report
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sypher

Situation Report

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/554901

"Protoss

We have two key changes in mind for the zealot: the build time is being increased from 33 to 38 seconds, and the warpgate cooldown is being increased from 23 to 28 seconds. Zealot rushes are currently too powerful at various skill levels, particularly those that rely on rapidly assaulting an enemy base from nearby "proxy" gateways. We feel the window players have to scout for and fend off this rush is too small. We also want to address the problem of protoss being able to dump minerals a bit too quickly with the combination of warpgates and Chrono Boost.

Terran

There are several changes in the works for terrans. Reapers against zerg are stronger than expected. Due to the zealot build time increase, reapers would be a bit problematic in combination with proxy barracks, bunkers, and/or marauders against protoss. Therefore, we have decided to increase the build time of reapers as well from 40 to 45 seconds. Fast reaper + bunker, or fast marine + bunker rushes are problematic against zerg. Although this rush would never outright destroy the zerg player, we feel zerg suffers too much of a disadvantage from either having to cancel the fast expansion, or getting trapped inside the main base for too long, so we are also increasing the bunker build time from 30 to 35 seconds.

Siege tanks in large numbers are performing too well in all matchups. In the mid- to late-game, siege tanks are too dominant against all ground units. We want a small set of light and unarmored ground units to perform better against siege tanks. With this in mind, we're changing the Siege Mode damage of the siege tank from 50 to 35, +15 vs. armored; to correspond with this, damage upgrades will be changed from +5 to +3, +2 vs. armored. This change reduces the base damage of the siege tank against light and unarmored units, as well as the splash damage.

Battlecruisers currently lack good counters from the ground and still perform very well against a wide array of unit types. We're aware that it is not easy to get battlecruisers out for the cost, but at the same time, it is possible in both 1v1s and team games to create stalemate situations to bring them out. Overall, we feel that battlecruisers are too strong for their cost, and the terran-forced stalemate situations are causing less interesting gameplay. We will be lowering their damage against ground units from 10 to 8.

Zerg

Ultralisk damage is being decreased from 15, +25 vs. armored to 15, +20 vs. armored. This reduction is comparable to the changes being made to the battlecruiser and siege tank. Like the battlecruiser, ultralisks are simply too powerful for the cost, even though they are difficult to muster. Also, in combination with other units, ultralisks are difficult to counter from the ground. The ultralisk building attack (Ram) is being removed because the damage rate is too similar to its normal attack, which will be used against buildings instead. When ultralisks target tightly packed smaller buildings such as supply depots, the Ram attack is actually outputting considerably less overall damage than its normal attack, as Ram only hits a single target."

ROfl @ Terrans

Pretty happy with these changes. I still think there should be a bit more tweaking, though.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:57 pm 
kublikhan

Nice, I think these are good changes overall.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:13 pm 
kublikhan

Looks like I'ma have to rely more on blue flame hellions to deal with hydras instead of relying on tanks so much.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:36 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

You do realise that making zealots take 5 more seconds to make, buffs 6 pools an extreme amount against protoss to the point of unstoppable on small maps?

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:49 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by Kyr.Luoson
You do realise that making zealots take 5 more seconds to make, buffs 6 pools an extreme amount against protoss to the point of unstoppable on small maps?

So protoss should have the ability to relentlessly punish zerg early game because newbs would go all in with 6 pool with 5sec slower zealot?

The change will not affect high level play at all.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:19 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
quote:

So protoss should have the ability to relentlessly punish zerg early game because newbs would go all in with 6 pool with 5sec slower zealot?

The change will not affect high level play at all.

Stepps of war

Current patch

2.44 for zerglings to Reach inside the ramp
2:50 for first zealot chrono boosted on 10 gate

now after the patch it's going be 2:55/2:56 ish
giving 6 zergling 11 seconds free rain to take down that pylon

Which means any build not using a 10gate = certain death if they choose to 6/7 pool

That is an ignorant statement saying it wont affect high level play at all, if it's unstoppable what pro wont use it if money is on the line. Reason it's not used is because it's relativity balanced as is and fairly easy to fend off if scouted right and just for argument sakes i have seen WhiteRA proxy gateway in a tournament match so yes pros can cheese

This change wont effect proxy gateway rushes ethier because the defenders zealots are going to be just as slow out of the gate.

I don't think top level zergs have much problems with zealot rushes either, they have many counters - roaches, spine crawlers or speed/bling all counter fairly well.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:36 pm 
Sypher

Top level players won't use a 6 pool because they know if it does fail/does not do enough damage, the game is lost.

In the current patch, 2gate is very effective vs zerg. Not because it wins the game outright, but because it causes the zerg to cut drone production too much.

Roaches are awful vs toss until tier 2 speed because of the toss ability to switch to stalker and kite.
Spine crawlers have too long of a build time to make them effective, not to mention, they cost a drone.
Bling only works vs a toss that goes double 10 gate without gas. Once toss gets sentries on the field, blings are rendered useless.

You clearly have no zerg knowledge ~_~

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:47 pm 
Shotgun_

Nerfing seige tanks is BS. Zerg players are such pussies, I still say if you're fast enough zerg are the best race thanks to muta's

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
Top level players won't use a 6 pool because they know if it does fail/does not do enough damage, the game is lost.

In the current patch, 2gate is very effective vs zerg. Not because it wins the game outright, but because it causes the zerg to cut drone production too much.

Roaches are awful vs toss until tier 2 speed because of the toss ability to switch to stalker and kite.
Spine crawlers have too long of a build time to make them effective, not to mention, they cost a drone.
Bling only works vs a toss that goes double 10 gate without gas. Once toss gets sentries on the field, blings are rendered useless.

Clearly they don't use 6 pools now for the reasons i just stated in the previous post? After the patch it might be a different story, dont be ignorant people will use the startegy which wins the most.

Yes i know 2gate is effective vs zerg, i use it often myself but maybe in lower leagues the players you come against don't know how to fend it off
It's strong and you can do damage against medium/low level diamond zergs but at the top there not overpowered at all and good placement with 1 spine crawler and zerglings/queens wins it easy without investing too much.

Also a counter is to chuck down a quick roach and just get 3 roaches then go back to normal tech (Only 150 minerals for the roach warren same as that extra gateway the p chucked down)

Your forgetting protoss player will have to invest in zealots heavily to keep any pressure up in the front that extra gateway will slow down your core and zealots aren't cheap at 100 a pop.

You sound like your in the medium levels of platinum, bit of a struggle there is it? Try mircoing your units rather then attack moving.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:04 pm 
7VlesSiah

quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun_
Nerfing seige tanks is BS. Zerg players are such pussies, I still say if you're fast enough zerg are the best race thanks to muta's

About time they gave it a serious nerf. Should make zealots a bit stronger.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:13 pm 
Shotgun_

quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah
quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun_

About time they gave it a serious nerf. Should make zealots a bit stronger.

lol

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
quote:

Clearly they don't use 6 pools now for the reasons i just stated in the previous post? After the patch it might be a different story, dont be ignorant people will use the startegy which wins the most.

Yes i know 2gate is effective vs zerg, i use it often myself but maybe in lower leagues the players you come against don't know how to fend it off
It's strong and you can do damage against medium/low level diamond zergs but at the top there not overpowered at all and good placement with 1 spine crawler and zerglings/queens wins it easy without investing too much.

Also a counter is to chuck down a quick roach and just get 3 roaches then go back to normal tech (Only 150 minerals for the roach warren same as that extra gateway the p chucked down)

Your forgetting protoss player will have to invest in zealots heavily to keep any pressure up in the front that extra gateway will slow down your core and zealots aren't cheap at 100 a pop.

You sound like your in the medium levels of platinum, bit of a struggle there is it? Try mircoing your units rather then attack moving.

I don't think a 6 pool will be that effective because you will still be scouting a zerg, and you will see the 6 pool.

So all you do is 10 gate, make the entrance small (ie: 1 zergling wide), and block with 3-4 probes until the zeal comes out.

Same thing protoss has been doing since BW.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sypher

quote:

Yeah man.. all I do is attack move. Ash can testify to that.

Quit QQing.. if you don't understand why 2gate is so powerful vs zerg then I don't know what to say -.-

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:47 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
quote:

Quit QQing.. if you don't understand why 2gate is so powerful vs zerg then I don't know what to say -.-

Your the one QQing. I actually think it's more likey you suck and get ran over by medium level protoss way too often. The Jons and spbwars of starcraft2. I have agreed in some ways how it is powerful but it's not game winning if you arent a total newbie at zerg Wink

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:52 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:
quote:

I don't think a 6 pool will be that effective because you will still be scouting a zerg, and you will see the 6 pool.

So all you do is 10 gate, make the entrance small (ie: 1 zergling wide), and block with 3-4 probes until the zeal comes out.

Same thing protoss has been doing since BW.

Not sure why your giving newb basics 101 out

By the time you have scouted a zerg base and seen a 6 pool you would have alrdy had to put your 10 gate down allrdy on most maps. It's fine as it is now, 6 pools are a newbs option but that 5 seconds extra i think will be enuff to win games. Take out most of ur probes and run around ur base or take your plyon out if there lucky, only thing i can see to counter this is make the spawning pool take an extra 5 seconds, thus is makes 2 gates bit easiyer for zergs and doesnt make 6/7 pools more potent vs protoss

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:58 pm 
BanMe

quote:

Well now that I've been dragged into this....

Here are the games I played with sypher to practice for his tournament. You can clearly see why he fears zealots.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/66143-2v2-protoss-zerg-lost-temple
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/66144-2v2-protoss-zerg-lost-temple
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/66145-2v2-protoss-zerg-lost-temple
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/66146-2v2-protoss-zerg-lost-temple

I don't think they're in order - the one I lost was the first game. Sypher asked me to 10 10 gate, a build I never do. It did turn into a pretty epic match though.

And here is a game I just played where the guy 9 pooled on steppes of war. 6 pool is only a bit faster than 9 pool, and it was no problem whatsoever - and I dont 10 gate.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/66147-1v1-protoss-zerg-steppes-of-war

I do like the idea of increasing spawn pool build time, however.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:15 am 
Sypher

quote:
Your the one QQing. I actually think it's more likey you suck and get ran over by medium level protoss way too often. The Jons and spbwars of starcraft2. I have agreed in some ways how it is powerful but it's not game winning if you arent a total newbie at zerg Wink

ZvP is probably my strongest MU. I(along with pretty much every other zerg) just feel that we go into mid-game at a huge disadvantage if our opponent 2 gates. It really isn't that hard of a concept to grasp:

Zerg has larva
Protoss have a nexus and gateways
Zerg must use all larva past 15 supply to fend off 2gate pressure
Protoss can build probes + zealots
Because of this, zerg enters midgame down in drones
Zerg at disadvantage

Ash is prob the best protoss on this board, and I think he will even agree with me that 2gate is pretty ridic vs zerg.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:43 am 
BanMe

quote:

Ash is prob the best protoss on this board, and I think he will even agree with me that 2gate is pretty ridic vs zerg.

Well it's definitely what works best. Zerg still have alot of options that aren't commonly utilized - sometimes I wonder if zergs are just uncreative and won't be satisfied if they can't just macro tier 2 for the win. Zerg balance is fickle because there is such a thin line when zerg can have 15 drones, and 30 seconds later have 30 - and from there can blow up their macro at the slightest mistake or oversight of their oponent. Add to that zerg typically have map control because of how fast all their units are - it's hard to not be scared of the balance tipping just enough for zerg to be beastly (as they were in early beta)

But the zealot change won't affect ZvP too much, the spawning pool delay is a good idea as I said, but zealots in PvP are where zealots are the most broken anyway.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:05 am 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe
quote:

Well it's definitely what works best. Zerg still have alot of options that aren't commonly utilized - sometimes I wonder if zergs are just uncreative and won't be satisfied if they can't just macro tier 2 for the win. Zerg balance is fickle because there is such a thin line when zerg can have 15 drones, and 30 seconds later have 30 - and from there can blow up their macro at the slightest mistake or oversight of their oponent. Add to that zerg typically have map control because of how fast all their units are - it's hard to not be scared of the balance tipping just enough for zerg to be beastly (as they were in early beta)

Yes you are correct; however you must also take into account that typically an even matched tier 2 army in ZvP tips in favor of Protoss due to race design(zerg makes a lot of cheap units that die quite easily to toss army). Obviously that dynamic changes at tier 3 when ultras come into play, and i'll be the first to admit that the Ultra nerf is 100% necessary. Once Ultras are out, all you gotta do is get a ling/ultra surround on a P army and there is nothing they can do ;o

Zerg needs to be able to replenish their army fast to counteract the above.

And honestly, I think that zergs biggest weakness early game is the SLOW speed of their army. Lings aren't effective until speed is upgraded, and roaches are pathetically slow off creep until tier 2 speed upgrade. I pretty much have a rule that I won't attack a protoss off creep unless I am at a huge advantage(read: near cap with sufficient larva and minerals banked).

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:25 am 
BanMe

quote:

Yes you are correct; however you must also take into account that typically an even matched tier 2 army in ZvP tips in favor of Protoss due to race design(zerg makes a lot of cheap units that die quite easily to toss army).

Not really, hydra's own toss tier 2 pretty hard. I've also heard muta/ling is pretty effective against most toss - not against me personally but maybe I just haven't gone against a good implementation of it.

And then yeah ultra's - insane armor, insane hp, insane splash radius, and more dps to armored than immortals....

i.e.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft#p/u/0/wdPK4c3FJ1k

I have no idea how to play against zerg on desert oasis (2 gate is too far to be effective and protoss can't really ever safely expand). Yeah that map is just fucking terrible. But yeah 2 gate and FE are my 2 vs Z strats. If I don't do either one of those, Z will shoot so far ahead with no pressure on him it's dumb.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:39 am 
Sypher

hydra are ok if they are on creep, but you typically cant get a good creep spread to be aggressive with hydra early in mid game.

Mutaling is pretty good, but lately a lot of people have been going 2 stargate phoenix after scouting spire, which will rape muta with half assed micro.

I pretty much always go hydra den in case of a 4warp push. Hydras just come out faster and cheaper than muta. The only time I will go muta vs toss is on a map like scrap station or cross spawns on metalopolis. And even then, I typically only do it if I see they are going robo.

Edit: DO is just a stupid map. I have it thumbed down because terran can be extremely abusive with shit like hellions, drops, reapers, etc. Against terran, it is too hard to protect both your main and expansion. Toss is pretty much i the same situation in all MUs, though. So I say just thumb that shit map down Smile

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:37 am 
turtleman@can

lower void ray damage to buildings

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:30 am 
Rat

good siege tanks nerf.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:34 am 
Shotgun_

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
lower void ray damage to buildings

agree'd

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:09 am 
GenOciDe-

quote:
Originally posted by Rat
good siege tanks nerf.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:28 am 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by Rat
good siege tanks nerf.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:26 am 
Shotgun_

I actually think Protoss are the most OP race, not terran.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:50 am 
turtleman@can

ultralisks are now able to tear down planetary fortresses. I thought that was annoying, having 5 ultralisks ripping on a PF and having to micro them to attack the SVCs. From what I understand now they'll do splash damage so you don't have to worry about it. Also I think the BC nerf was necessary. I remember playing a game where one was chillin outside my base , the sole survivor of a huge fight with like 10% health left, and I kept sending small forces at it to finish it off, 20 units later it finally died.

I think protoss are OP too just because they have so many talentless insta-win strategies like DT and VR rushing. I don't think it's right that a single unit should be able to win a game. The only way you can survive an unforeseen DT or VR rush is pure luck.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:24 am 
foonat

lol u die to dt rushes

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:42 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

if tman says anything about sc2 (or anything really, but especially sc2) you can pretty much assume the exact opposite is true

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:56 am