FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Win7 or XP
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
baRa

Win7 or XP

Which would run SC2 better? I had a problem running war2 on 7 it would always freeze. Is there some sort of setting to play games on Win7?

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
GreenHorn

win 7 works fine.

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm 
7VlesSiah

you'll have issues with ati's video card for the 64 bit win 7 if you have a dual monitor setup. Drivers are still buggy but it just means you have to restart your computer once in a while.

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:29 pm 
turtleman@can

Dude use your brain. You already posted another topic about this without giving us any information. Now you're creating another topic to just ask another general/vague question. Find out what kind of computer you have, then either post your specs on here or do some detective work with google

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:17 pm 
baRa

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 3800+ 1.99 GHz
1 GB of RAM (Now 2 GB, I upgraded that)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
This computer was built 3-4 years ago. Let me know if anything is outdated.

Post Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Frostbitten

quote:
Originally posted by baRa

roofle

http://YouTube.com/war2combat | http://YouTube.com/FrostbittenWarcraft | http://www.denverchess.com | http://www.BureauA.com

Post Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:34 pm 
turtleman@can

your processor doesn't even meet the minimum requirements, neither does your video card and if you have 2 gigs, you're barely meeting that requirement and windows 7 would make it even worse. you can't really upgrade that system either.

I had an AMD Athlon 2.1ghz processor - the next generation after the one you have now, a GeForce 220 - which is like 5 generations after your card, and 3 gigs of ram and I was overheating/crashing as well so upgrading is not an option. You need a brand new system. I just bought one today

Post Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:58 pm 
baRa

- AMD quadcore 2.6GHz
- Asus L1N64-SLI WS megatasking motherboard
- 4GB DDR2 ram
- New 500W OCZ power supply
- 2 SATA hard drives
- NVidia 8800 GTX OC video card (card was replaced under warranty about 18 months ago and they upgraded it to the overclocked version).
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Is this a good deal for $500? Would it run good games?

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:07 pm 
Sypher

quote:

3-4 dog years ago?

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:23 pm 
Sypher

quote:
- AMD quadcore 2.6GHz
- Asus L1N64-SLI WS megatasking motherboard
- 4GB DDR2 ram
- New 500W OCZ power supply
- 2 SATA hard drives
- NVidia 8800 GTX OC video card (card was replaced under warranty about 18 months ago and they upgraded it to the overclocked version).
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Is this a good deal for $500? Would it run good games?

Mine is comparable. It will run all games.. not on ultra settings, but will definitely run games.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm 
turtleman@can

really depends on the type of AMD chip, there's a lot of economy chips out there that don't perform very well. DDR2 ram is old technology also, the graphics card sounds pretty good. I would say that it would probably run it fine assuming that 8800 is the pimped out model and the AMD chip isn't some shitty power conserving economy model

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:31 pm 
Sypher

don't listen to turtle, it will run SC2 fine.

I can run mine on High, but opt for low since it is easier to see units. I'd probably run low even if i had top of the line system

-Gigaybte p35 ds3l
-E6750 2.67ghz duo core
-4gb DDR 2 Ram
-8800GT 512MB

I get 160fps.. dips to 110 in big fights.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:36 pm 
baRa

Is it worth it for $500 though?

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:39 pm 
turtleman@can

I just bought a gateway system with an intel i5 3.2ghz quad core
6 gigs DDR3 ram
ATI 5570 video card with wireless ethernet card, 23" pimped out monitor for 900 bucks. The monitor alone is probably worth 300 bucks so I would say that it's not the greatest deal but I wouldn't say it's a bad deal either. You could probably build your own with way better parts for around the same price if you shopped around although given your lack of computer knowledge I would probably suggest buying a pre built system

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 pm 
Sypher

quote:

Is it brand new? If so, I would say yes. It is better than most retail comps that you would find at best buy.

If it is used, I would try to bargain down to 400.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by Me
It will probably run it fine

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
don't listen to turtle, it will run SC2 fine.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:46 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
really depends on the type of AMD chip....I would say that it would probably run it fine assuming that 8800 is the pimped out model and the AMD chip isn't some shitty power conserving economy model....

a lot of speculation in your post.

It will most definitely run it fine.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:47 pm 
turtleman@can

The thing is, there's like 10 versions of the 8800 out there and some of them are not very good. There's also like 20 versions of an AMD quadcore 2.6ghz processor. not including lower models that are OC'd to reach that speed. There's also different DDR2 ram speeds as well as the fact that they may not be the same speed which would hinder performance. Basically that computer could be rating at a 40/100 anywhere to a 70/100 based on current technology.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:54 pm 
turtleman@can

Also the fact that I just googled that motherboard and it's fastest capable memory speed is DDR2 5300, which is not even the fastest kind of DDR2 memory available, which means that I doubt you could put anything better in that system in terms of upgrading.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:01 pm 
turtleman@can

after saying all of that I would say that yes bara it's an ok deal if all you care about is being able to play starcraft 2 but if I were you I would save up some money and get something that's going to last because in a few years that system will be obsolete and you will have no upgrading options.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:22 pm 
baRa

Okay, thanks for the input guys.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:52 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
really depends on the type of AMD chip, there's a lot of economy chips out there that don't perform very well. DDR2 ram is old technology also, the graphics card sounds pretty good. I would say that it would probably run it fine assuming that 8800 is the pimped out model and the AMD chip isn't some shitty power conserving economy model

lol wtf...that system will run SC2 fine. DDR2 ram isn't going to fuck you over rofl
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:48 pm 
turtleman@can

DDR2 ram is old technology

I'll just post one statement at a time so space cadets like ghostnuke can't confabulate them into a different meaning.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:05 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

oh no not DDR2 ram, you'll pretty much be able to play no games in a year with that dogshit

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:19 pm 
turtleman@can

yes exactly one year and it's obsolete. Keep confabulating dreamer.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:26 pm 
stoned@chayliss

quote:
6 gigs DDR3 ram
ATI 5570 video card with wireless ethernet card, 23" pimped out monitor for 900 bucks. The monitor alone is probably worth 300 bucks so I would say that it's not the greatest deal but I wouldn't say it's a bad deal either. You could probably build your own with way better parts for around the same price if you shopped around although given your lack of computer knowledge I would probably suggest buying a pre built system

you just got raped by a cow, gg

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
stoned@chayliss

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
quote:

Is it brand new? If so, I would say yes. It is better than most retail comps that you would find at best buy.

If it is used, I would try to bargain down to 400.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by stoned@chayliss
quote:
6 gigs DDR3 ram

lollll ya in hindsight I should have probably built my own but I was kind of pissed off that my old system was crashing after it happened in two ladder matches where I was clearly winning and my gf wanted to go out shopping. I got suckered in to buying it because she wanted the new monitor. (I don't even get to use it believe it or not) and the system was pretty much what I was looking for. I might throw a better video card in at some point but right now it's pretty adequate. I could rape your shit in a loading match no doubt about it.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:01 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
Also the fact that I just googled that motherboard and it's fastest capable memory speed is DDR2 5300, which is not even the fastest kind of DDR2 memory available, which means that I doubt you could put anything better in that system in terms of upgrading.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but around 70% of computer numbers (be it memory, processor, graphic's card etc etc) is blown out of proportion, and is there just to fool people. There's so many actual hardware limitations (bottlenecks) in today's computer that they have to make some new numbers (its why dual/quad cores were actually invented). That's why you have all these ddr2, ddr3, dual core, quad core, this or that. They also often like to exaggerate the numbers, especially speed numbers to fool people (they multiply things that can't be multiplied and don't stack).

So take whatever you buy, divide the numbers by around 6, and you have the correct values, compare them, you'll see the differences are miniscule.
Buy hardware in a way that you can upgrade it later when needed (you don't buy a board supporting socket 775 if they are fading that out for example), and buy low midrange components (be it price wise or review wise).

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:08 pm 
stoned@chayliss

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoned@chayliss
quote:
6 gigs DDR3 ram

lollll ya in hindsight I should have probably built my own but I was kind of pissed off that my old system was crashing after it happened in two ladder matches where I was clearly winning and my gf wanted to go out shopping. I got suckered in to buying it because she wanted the new monitor. (I don't even get to use it believe it or not) and the system was pretty much what I was looking for. I might throw a better video card in at some point but right now it's pretty adequate. I could rape your shit in a loading match no doubt about it.

i spent all fucking night rebuilding my system just so i could improve load time Embarassed

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:27 pm