FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Links, reviews, previews, etc

Whats your ecological footprint?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SoCzNedoK

Whats your ecological footprint?

http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp#

I scored 9 acres, mainly because I don't really use anything other than a bicycle to get around and I've been trying the vegetarian thing lately. Need 1.8 planets Surprised

Last edited by SoCzNedoK on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
~Dakine..HeX

25, i beat you

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:24 pm 
SoCzNedoK

god bless america

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.3 PLANETS.

that doesn't sound so bad, why don't we get 2.3 planets

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:30 pm 
Axolotl

I got owned as expected

FOOD 2.6

MOBILITY 0.6

SHELTER 6.3

GOODS/SERVICES 7.1

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 16.6

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Paper_Boy

28 - 6.3 planets
I dont care if I ravage the planet CUZ ITS MINE SEE N I DO WHAT I WANT, U DONT KNOW ME U DONT KNOW ME

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
bam

I got a 16 point something. I think it's mainly because I ride a motorcycle and live in an apartment. Oh well.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Sypher

i got 14..

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:28 pm 
MassiveAttack

16 Confused

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:40 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

i drive a car, live in a house with gas and electricity and eat meat. i am what is wrong with the world today.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:34 pm 
foonat

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.8 PLANETS

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:05 pm 
SoCzNedoK

the world is IMBA

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:13 pm 
KingHillBilly

I got 58

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
kublikhan

13, 3 planets. average is 24. Damn i'm slackin. I'm not consuming my fair share of earth's resources here....

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:45 am 
SoCzNedoK

time to terraform mars Smile

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 am 
Ywfn

quote:
Originally posted by kublikhan
13, 3 planets. average is 24. Damn i'm slackin. I'm not consuming my fair share of earth's resources here....

If the average is 24, doesn't that mean we're already consuming 5+ planets?

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:35 am 
Pimster

FOOD 1.9
MOBILITY 3.8
SHELTER 1.5
GOODS/SERVICES 7.1
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 14.3

I'm really amazed by how people can score so much higher (paperboy/khb, if they're serious),
Interested to see your answers!

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by Ywfn
quote:

it probably only is counting people who take the tests. Somalians (who can't afford computers to vote) have a -5 footprint obv.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:43 am 
SoCzNedoK

quote:
quote:

Thats just the average for the United States. For the 300 million living at that standard of consumption there are billions in the 3rd world living in stone age conditions so that we can afford to consume. If everyone on earth lived in the same conditions of the average Indian for example we would need less than half a planet. Kind of scary when you think of how many people live in India in those conditions or worse.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:50 am 
Ywfn

quote:
Originally posted by SoCzNedoK
Thats just the average for the United States. For the 300 million living at that standard of consumption there are billions in the 3rd world living in stone age conditions so that we can afford to consume. If everyone on earth lived in the same conditions of the average Indian for example we would need less than half a planet. Kind of scary when you think of how many people live in India in those conditions or worse.

The only thing that really concerns me is if a country's total footprint exceeds the "ecological output" of their country. For example, I don't think people living in the US or Canada, with lots of space and resources, have any obligation to decrease their footprint size unless it's "taking away" from someone else.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:25 am 
SoCzNedoK

quote:
quote:

The only thing that really concerns me is if a country's total footprint exceeds the "ecological output" of their country. For example, I don't think people living in the US or Canada, with lots of space and resources, have any obligation to decrease their footprint size unless it's "taking away" from someone else.

Well we pretty much are 'taking away' from other people. If we were alone in the world we wouldn't have the resources to keep on living the way we do. We get cheap meat because of amazon deforestation for more space for livestock, we get cheap copper and other metals because of nations in Africa who really don't have any other option but to mine the copper and sell it raw as their primary resource and so on. We are so rich because there are people who are incredibly poor, and to me that seems wrong.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:43 am 
Ywfn

quote:
We are so rich because there are people who are incredibly poor, and to me that seems wrong.

Well, I don't disagree from a humanitarian standpoint, but that's really an entirely different philosophical issue than what I'm talking about. And as an individual, I think it's your right to make a impact on this issue if you choose. But as a country, I disagree (although I do think that internally we have an obligation to those within our own country).

We have a lot of land, much of it very useful, and relatively low population compared to a lot of other places. That gives us a lot of a large "economic footprint" to play with (I'm not educated enough on the subject to know if I buy-in to this term or how it's measured anyway, so I'm just playing along really).

As a country, I do think we have some obligation to make sure our combined "economic footprint" does not exceed our own country's resources. Taking our obligation beyond that adds in a number of other variables. There could be policy issues within other countries contributing to their own problems, and I think it's not a good idea for us to get in the buisness of helping them cope with their problems, by giving up our resources, unless they're willing to do all they can with what they already have. It's just a big sticky situation I'd rather we stay out of.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:25 am 
fiftyfour40

my thoughts on the situation

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:36 am 
Eradicate

the moon will crash into the earth?

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
SoCzNedoK

quote:

But as a country, I disagree (although I do think that internally we have an obligation to those within our own country).

An obligation to keep consuming and exploiting the 3rd world? How is this justifiable?

quote:

As a country, I do think we have some obligation to make sure our combined "economic footprint" does not exceed our own country's resources.

Well it clearly does, and therein lies the problem. I mean of course we have the resources and land, but there would be a big cost to our way of living if had to sustain ourselves, or if poor countries started to attain our level of development.

quote:

Taking our obligation beyond that adds in a number of other variables. There could be policy issues within other countries contributing to their own problems, and I think it's not a good idea for us to get in the business of helping them cope with their problems, by giving up our resources, unless they're willing to do all they can with what they already have. It's just a big sticky situation I'd rather we stay out of.

I guess I can't argue there. As long as people are concerned only with preserving their own way of living, the others will have to pay the price. This isn't sustainable though imo, and in the end someone will have to give.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:00 pm