FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

How to host games on war2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Wargasm

How to host games on war2

I've NEVER been able to host games on War2, before today.

My setup: Cable Modem -> Wireless Router

To fix the latency issue that doesn't allow people to join your games:

1. Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

2. Type ipconfig and write down your IP Address

3. Load Internet Explorer and open your router's settings.
*The default for linksys routers is 192.168.1.1 (type it in the address bar)
*Default login/pw: leave login blank and type admin in password field.

4. Click Applications and Gaming tab

5. On top row:
Application = War2
Start = 6112, End = 6119
Protocol = Both
IP address = whatever you copied down from command prompt earlier
Check enable

6. Row 2 is all the same except:
Start = 4000
End = 4000

Start War2, and enjoy hosting.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:53 pm 
bam

Another tip, if your set for DHCP, your IP address may change so if it starts not letting you host again, goto command prompt and ipconfig again to get your new IP Address and repeat steps. You may also set your local ip as the "dmz" if your router has that option (instead of setting up the port forwards).

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Ywfn

quote:
Originally posted by bam
Another tip, if your set for DHCP, your IP address may change so if it starts not letting you host again, goto command prompt and ipconfig again to get your new IP Address and repeat steps. You may also set your local ip as the "dmz" if your router has that option (instead of setting up the port forwards).

dmz exposes all of your ports, making your computer more vulnerable to bots, and really doesn't do anything extra for you.

Most routers let you set the DHCP range (they default to something like 50 or 100) so you could just statically set your IP to something below that if you don't want to deal with changing it. You'd have to set your gateway and DNS servers then as well.

Some of the newer routers I've seen let you put do port forwarding on MAC Address or assign a persistent IP by MAC Address (i.e. it will always assign the same computer the same IP).

Although all of these tips are kinda pointless. If someone knows enough to understand what we're talking about (probably everyone except Paper boy), they're probably already aware of how to handle port forwarding and DHCP. What they really need are the port ranges, so thats useful information.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:04 pm 
kublikhan

And if you are using a modem with a build in router(shotgun) make sure you open the ports in that router as well.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:09 pm 
bam

quote:
Originally posted by Ywfn
quote:
Originally posted by bam

dmz exposes all of your ports, making your computer more vulnerable to bots, and really doesn't do anything extra for you.

Most routers let you set the DHCP range (they default to something like 50 or 100) so you could just statically set your IP to something below that if you don't want to deal with changing it. You'd have to set your gateway and DNS servers then as well.

Some of the newer routers I've seen let you put do port forwarding on MAC Address or assign a persistent IP by MAC Address (i.e. it will always assign the same computer the same IP).

Although all of these tips are kinda pointless. If someone knows enough to understand what we're talking about (probably everyone except Paper boy), they're probably already aware of how to handle port forwarding and DHCP. What they really need are the port ranges, so thats useful information.

More vunerable for bots...lol....it would have to exploit something to install itself still. I set mine as DMZ and I've been fine that way for 12 years. It's easier then having to remember those ports and shit Smile

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
TheSilverPoNy

quote:
Originally posted by bam
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bam

More vunerable for bots...lol....it would have to exploit something to install itself still. I set mine as DMZ and I've been fine that way for 12 years. It's easier then having to remember those ports and shit Smile

I would never recommending setting your router up for DMZ unless you're doing some troubleshooting. Port mapping isn't really that hard.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
$hazm

Yeah man thats complete overkill there. All you really need is port forwarding/mapping. I think all blizzard programs, even wow, use the same port, i cant remember what port i think it is 6117 or somthing like that. Just forward all traffic running on port 6117 stright to you computer and you wont have a problem.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:59 pm 
Fast Luck

warg already put the port in the first post shazm, the range is 6112-6119, although in my experience 6112 is the only one that matters.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:15 pm 
Heathen

I tried doing this but for some reason it didn't work can anyone help me?

It might be because I use Vista.....

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 pm 
SoCxHoP

nothing to do with vista. christ i've been using vista since it came out and i've had no problems with it. once you have a static IP, it's all in the router.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:59 am 
Heathen

could you help me out hop? I've recently started playing W2 again and I haven't been able to host once since I got on this server using that free program.

I never had problems hosting back in the day so I was wondering if you could help me out.

This is what happens when I try what's stated above:

I get my IP address using the command prompt. Or at least I think I do I'm not sure if it's correct....

Anyways I open up internet explorer and type in my IP address into the address bar and it brings up a little window asking for my login ID and password. I tried what it says above but it doesn't respond.

Anyways that's where I'm stuck.... maybe you know what the problem is or know what I should do instead? I'd really love to be able to host games once again instead of begging those in the chatroom to host games for me :[

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:20 am 
Rat

yes. Now I can host too.

If anyone use Vood 322 admin/pass is:
Conf/admin

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:10 am 
Paper_Boy

heathen your isp has the information. However you should still be able to access your router without that. Contact manufacturer for correct ip adress. I had the same issue , it was slightly different then the ip config adress..

I did all those steps it didnt work. Is it cuz im not signed up for a real ip adress yet?

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
SoCxHoP

his ISP probably doesn't have the info unless they're a very small company. the password they're asking you for is just the login info for your router. if you've never set it look up the defaults for your model. try portforward.com.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:47 pm 
Heathen

Actually I have a linksys wireless router and Comcast high speed internet.

I've been typing in the IP address that was in the OP since it's the only one that seemed to work and bring up the window with login n pass fields.....

Should I just try a whatsmyIPaddress website? I went to portforward.com and it looked like a scam to me....

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:55 pm 
SoCxHoP

it should be 168.192.1.1 or 0.1 or 1.0 or something like that. i mean once you get the login screen up you need to enter the default password for the linksys. it depends which model you have but all you have to do is look up the default username/password. once you're in you can forward the port how it tells you to on portforward.com

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:23 pm 
Rat

Now it dosnt work again.

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:17 am 
Wargasm

quote:
Originally posted by Heathen
Actually I have a linksys wireless router and Comcast high speed internet.

I've been typing in the IP address that was in the OP since it's the only one that seemed to work and bring up the window with login n pass fields.....

Should I just try a whatsmyIPaddress website? I went to portforward.com and it looked like a scam to me....

This is the same setup I have and my directions worked perfectly for it...make sure you're following them!

Also, unless you setup a static IP, every time you connect to your router there's a chance you'll be assigned another IP address if multiple people connect to the same router. If this is the situation you'll have to go to msdos +> type in ipconfig -> change the router settings to match your last 3 numbers again.

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:28 am 
Heathen

i am doing what you're saying how would i find my routers default login/password? is it the same as the login/pass for wireless access?

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:29 am 
Fast Luck

the password is admin
there's no username

quote:

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:29 am 
stoned@chayliss

quote:

dmz exposes all of your ports, making your computer more vulnerable to bots

what do these bots do?
quote:
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

send out emails advertising war2 festival 2008 to your entire address book

quote:

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:36 pm 
Heathen

I tried that it doesn't work. I always get to that screen type in admin in the password field and leave the login name blank. Nothing ever happens it denies it and asks for it again. If I keep attempting this like three or four more times then it just loads a page that says 401 unauthorized......

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:13 pm 
Nedok

quote:
I tried that it doesn't work. I always get to that screen type in admin in the password field and leave the login name blank. Nothing ever happens it denies it and asks for it again. If I keep attempting this like three or four more times then it just loads a page that says 401 unauthorized......

is your router linksys brand?

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Heathen

yep. Wireless

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:20 pm 
Nedok

quote:
yep. Wireless

the login info has been changed already then. use the button on the back to reset it to the factory settings or find out what the new login info is (admin in the pw field)

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Heathen

THANK YOU!

Not one other person has actually helped :b

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm 
Nedok

thats because im awesome

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:20 pm 
Fast Luck

pft I helped

quote:

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 pm 
Heathen

quote: