FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Links, reviews, previews, etc

Nirvana - In Utero (1993)

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MassiveAttack

Nirvana - In Utero (1993)

This was an old review of this album, I used to review albums off a site called Radiomute.com; they're still active and this was the most viewed of all CD Reviews; this was my first music review I ever did.

Release Date: 1993
Tracks In Order:
Serve The Servents
Scentless Apprentice
Heart-Shaped Box
Rape Me
Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle
Very Ape
Milk It
Pennyroyal Tea
Radio Unit Friendly Shifter
Tourette's
All Apologies

Grade: A

Nirvana:
Vocals/Guitar: Kurt Cobain
Bass: Krist Noveselic
Drums: Dave Grohl
Genre: Grunge

Brief History Of The Scene:
Probably one of the most anticipated albums of the past decade in their present time Nirvana had made a name for themselves for opening up the so called 'Grunge Music' and the Seattle scene for Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden.

The album starts off with 'Serve The Servents' which is a really laid back feel to it and its somewhat loud lyrics go well with the hard drumming of Grohl's. This track was said to be the track to make the listener paranoid.

'Scentless Apprentice' which is PURE energy by Grohl and the band. This track seems to be one of the loudest songs as Cobain screams easily. The song was based on a book read by Cobain I believe called 'Perfume'.

'Heart-Shaped Box' is one song to behold from Nirvana. As Noveselic's bass isn't decent but quite good as he's right on time on each area of the song. It's very distinct in this song. Cobain has wrote some very simple songs in his time but 'Heart-Shaped Box changes that as he uses his ability to use abstraction in his lyrics easily. Noveselic's performance can be well over-performed when compared to Come As You Are.

'Rape Me' probably the most well known track by Nirvana to 'non-listeners' just because of it's name. 'Rape Me' is pure energy and simplicity. Grohl's hard energetic drumming and Cobain's loud/moderate screams and shrieks make this track so enjoyable and hard not to like.

'Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle' is my personal favorite from the whole album is quite loud and quiet at times. Cobain/Noveselic/Grohl all have a rock band standard as they weren't 'perceived' to be by Cobain. This song is very creepy at times. With a few listens it's really easy to enjoy.

'Dumb' the next track is a favorite of many on this album. The slow and steady but melodic track really goes well with the cello, as in 'Come As You Are', 'Dumb' is probably the strongest track on the album.

The fast but effective 'Very Ape' is very simple but a fun listen. This is one of my personal favorites from Nirvana. Though it is a short track it's great to hear the beginning of the song and the quick small drum rolls by Grohl all the way to the end.

The most disturbing track on the album 'Milk It' is easily shown how depressed Cobain is. As he talks about suicide and viruses. It's hard to understand how the lyrics go with the hard thunderous sequences by each member of the band.

Then comes the great Pennyroyal Tea the guitar solo (though Cobain wasn't a great guitarist) was quite played well especially in this type of song. But I prefer the Unplugged In New York version.

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter with Cobain and Noveselic's stop and go motion is quite fun to listen to. Especially with the distortion. This track really shows that Cobain's overpowering voice and Noveselic/Cobain guitar/bass really take this song to the max. Outshining Grohl.

Probably the most disturbing song of Nirvana's 'Tourette's is hard to understand but with Cobain's stop and go vocals it's hard to not like. Probably the easiest lyric to understand is "Cold Heart - Mean Heart". The track is overpowered by Cobain's voice and the a traditional rock performance all-around by the band. The track was originally called The Eagle Has Landed and was created long before the album came out. They revised the structure of the song and put it on the album as a filler. But good choice.

All Apologies is probably the best track on this whole album. It's melodic strength and the awe-inspiring voice of Cobain's makes this one of the memorable tracks of the decade. As the track fades with 'All in all, is all we are' the closing track fits perfectly with this band.

Shining Moments:
Scentless Apprentice
Heart-Shaped Box
Dumb
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
All Apologies

Track by Track Analysis:
Serve The Servents 5/5
Scentless Apprentice 5/5
Heart-Shaped Box 5/5
Rape Me 3.5/5
Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle 4.5/5
Very Ape 3.5/5
Milk It 4/5
Pennyroyal Tea 5/5
Radio Unit Friendly Shifter 5/5
Tourette's 3/5
All Apologies 5/5

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:14 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i like the way this album sounds more than nevermind. it sounds nice and dirty and gritty (thanks steve albini). i think it might be their most "naked" album, in sound and in general content. good rockers and in my opinion their two best ballad-y songs (dumb and all apologies). there's a few clunkers though (rape me), but overall i would say the songwriting isn't quite as good or consistent or as definitive as it was on nevermind. still good stuff though and a worthy finale for the band.

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:14 pm