11 years later...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Kith-Kanin

11 years later...

I finally won IWD2.

The last battle was pretty tough.

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

One of these days I might win earthbound.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:50 pm 
Fast Luck

Rented it in 1995 and played a bit with a friend. Then got it for reals and played a bit further, got to the part with the zombies and got stuck/tired out. Then in 2005 when I moved into a new apartment with no cable/internet I started playing it again and got like really far. I think I remember something about truffles, that's about where I was. Maybe in 2015...

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:52 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i think i cheated the last fight because its really bullshitty from what i remember. i remember thinking it might have actually been easier if i used a 5 man party because i remember thinking the lack of high level spells and abilities was really hurting me

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:05 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
i think i cheated the last fight because its really bullshitty from what i remember. i remember thinking it might have actually been easier if i used a 5 man party because i remember thinking the lack of high level spells and abilities was really hurting me

I had to as well tbh. I level 30'ed my party and even then I lost the first try. They cast banishment, and a whole pile of level 9 spells. If you don't have any anti-magic spells or scrolls you're pretty much screwed. Plus in the first fight, there's a mage that basically continually summons fiends and level 9 monster summons.

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah thats pretty much what i remembered. i really missed the magical protection/buff/debuff dueling matches from bg2. 3e for the lose

what was your party? i think about replaying that every time i want some dungeon crawlin' but havent in awhile

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:13 pm 
smurf_king

lol
ive been wanting to re start playing iwd2 again too

i have actually re-started 3 times already in the past 10 years...

i remember i got as far as act3 (the ice castle? or was it caves?) i think.

dont have much time... some day i will Razz

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 pm 
NeRzyMan

Whenever I read these posts about old Rpg's or basically any game that isn't multiplayer or competitive I can't really see how its fun.

I feel like pve is almost never fun, the enjoyment I personally get out of games is competing against other players.

Even dating back to Nintendo I always enjoyed the 1v1 multiplayer aspect, didn't matter which game really as long as it didn't feel awkward or gimmicky.

Is the lore so immersive that you actually suspend disbelief and role play in your own head? Is the strategy so rewarding that beating AI gives a sense of accomplishment?

I guess I never liked games, I only liked competition? Id be interested to hear from people who truly enjoy video games for the sake of them just being a video game.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:13 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by NeRzyMan
Is the strategy so rewarding that beating AI gives a sense of accomplishment?

Yeah

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:08 pm 
foonat

quote:
Whenever I read these posts about old Rpg's or basically any game that isn't multiplayer or competitive I can't really see how its fun.

I feel like pve is almost never fun, the enjoyment I personally get out of games is competing against other players.

Even dating back to Nintendo I always enjoyed the 1v1 multiplayer aspect, didn't matter which game really as long as it didn't feel awkward or gimmicky.

Is the lore so immersive that you actually suspend disbelief and role play in your own head? Is the strategy so rewarding that beating AI gives a sense of accomplishment?

I guess I never liked games, I only liked competition? Id be interested to hear from people who truly enjoy video games for the sake of them just being a video game.
i'm the same way - i can't play games that aren't multiplayer

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm 
Allstar

its weird, when i was a kid and multiplayer wasn't really that available - most games were singleplayer, or at best co op, i loved them but since the internet etc i cant get into even really good single player games anymore, kinda bugs me cause i feel like i should be enjoying it cause i used to but i find myself fallin asleep whether its skyrim or assassins' creed 3, bioshock infinite... just makes me wanna go play something multiplayer

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

the above post i made was a little overly simplistic. a lot of single player games are rewarding in a different way than a multiplayer game is. like it feels good to overcome a challenge in a single player game but its more that you solved a puzzle or figured out a way to make a complex system work the way you wanted it to than that you overcame the skill of another human

it depends on the game but yeah not everything that satisfies people about games is really competition itself. if thats the primary thing you get out of it then yeah, most single player games wont do much for you. just like if your thing is being creative and having a sandbox you might love sim city but you won't get much of anything out of playing starcraft or something

quote:

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm 
foonat

let me rephrase as well. i can play single player games and have fun in limited doses, while i can play multiplayer games for hours on end. for example, the last single player game i played through was mass effect 2 and it was pretty fun, but i could only play for an hour or so at a time before getting bored. same deal with, for example, the civilization series of games. they are great games and i enjoy them, i just can't sit there and knock out 8 hours on it like i can on a dota or war2 or WoW arena. i think it's the competition and the complete novelty every game. i also think i derive satisfaction from "winning" only sometimes, whereas in single player you always eventually "win"

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:31 pm 
Scrub

What Nerz said. My favorites were always fighting games, Goldeneye was epic tho. evo2013 las vegas baby!

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:55 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
i also think i derive satisfaction from "winning" only sometimes, whereas in single player you always eventually "win"

i've gone back to civ 4 after not playing it for weeks/months and i keep losing to the ai over and over Sad

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:10 pm 
foonat

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by foonat
i also think i derive satisfaction from "winning" only sometimes, whereas in single player you always eventually "win"

i've gone back to civ 4 after not playing it for weeks/months and i keep losing to the ai over and over Sad
yeah that's the opposite end of the extreme with single player games - the AI is so hard you just lose every single time and it's almost impossible to win..that's just frustrating to me and not fun Smile i guess i like a challenge, but only inasmuch as i can eventually beat it

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:29 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

its not usually hard for me on prince but i'm so out of practice im just garbage. also i think i get too high and dont micromanage enough

quote:

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:31 pm 
turtleman@can

I lost my attention span to play single player games in my teens. I still buy/play them occasionally but I lose interest pretty easily. It'd take one hell of a game to keep me glued to my seat till the end. I think the last game that I actually beat was Lost Odyssey because I enjoyed reading the short stories and my girlfriend actually enjoyed watching me play it because of the characters/story.

Recently, picked up Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Dogma and Ni No Kuni and I think I played them all for about 5-10 hours before I hit the 'don't give a fuck anymore' phase.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:51 pm 
Kith-Kanin

Yeah well I played it at work when it was slow so I can definitely enjoy any game if I get paid while doing it Laughing

As far as my party:

4 fighter/16barb dwarf
Aasimer sorcer lvl 20
human sorc lvl 20
lvl 1 thief/lvl 19 wizard drow necromancer specialization
lvl 20 cleric tempus dwarf
lvl 4 fighter/ level 16 cleric dwarf

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 pm 
Sypher

Are you guys talking about Icewind? Lol.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:17 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
Yeah well I played it at work when it was slow so I can definitely enjoy any game if I get paid while doing it Laughing

As far as my party:

4 fighter/16barb dwarf
Aasimer sorcer lvl 20
human sorc lvl 20
lvl 1 thief/lvl 19 wizard drow necromancer specialization
lvl 20 cleric tempus dwarf
lvl 4 fighter/ level 16 cleric dwarf

that seems like a sorta min-maxed-ish party (i could be wrong, haven't played iwd2 or another 3e game in awhile) so its really revealing about that last fight you still had to cheat lol. that last fight is just so ridiculous, i dont know what they were thinking

have you ever played ascension mod in bg2? never beat the final battle of that game with ascension mod installed either...

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:39 am 
NeRzyMan

Dragon Age Origins was actually the only RPG I enjoyed playing single player because the story was pretty cool, and the group control was fun. Pausing every 2 seconds to make sure I made the right move in tense battles lol. Ocarina of time was sorta like this as well, there were many puzzles and "common sense" solutions to challenges which was pretty neat. But whats better than dominating your lane in LoL or Dota and having that player become toxic to his team. That's another level of satisfaction for troll born war2 players like myself, you can't make the AI angry, but you can make some entitled scrub lose his mind by outsmarting him.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:06 pm 
Sappy

quote:
Dragon Age Origins was actually the only RPG I enjoyed playing single player because the story was pretty cool, and the group control was fun. Pausing every 2 seconds to make sure I made the right move in tense battles lol. Ocarina of time was sorta like this as well, there were many puzzles and "common sense" solutions to challenges which was pretty neat. But whats better than dominating your lane in LoL or Dota and having that player become toxic to his team. That's another level of satisfaction for troll born war2 players like myself, you can't make the AI angry, but you can make some entitled scrub lose his mind by outsmarting him.

EMILY

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:33 pm 
kublikhan

Making scrubs lose their mind is not really something I strive for in gaming. I like multiplayer gaming for some genres(RTS, FPS, etc), but I prefer single player for other genres such as RPG or 4X(explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate). I like city/empire building type games(Master of Orion, SimCity, Civilization, Total War Series, etc.)

It's fun to start with nothing and build an empire that spans the globe/universe. I tried those type of games multiplayer and I did not care for it. Intense lag between turns as I wait for other players to keep up drags out a game that already takes hours to complete. Then you have to arrange a day/time with someone to complete the saved game at a later time. Although it was more satisfying defeating a human opponent than an AI, especially when they hit you with a curve ball you did not expect, in the end I preferred single player. Sins of a Solar Empire was one of the few 4X games I enjoyed multiplayer, but then that is sort of a hybrid RTS/4X game.

I don't have as much time to game as I used to, and the war2 player base is rather thin nowadays. Sitting around in channel or waiting for someone to join my game is not that much fun. Much quicker to fire up a single player game, play for however long I have, then save-quit when I need to.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:34 pm 
Scrubbolator

I am of a similar mind with Nerzyman. I don't generally find single player games entertaining unless they're particularly challenging. I have played a few that I downloaded mods for just to make them harder. I think DA:O was the only one I played in the last few years that I really enjoyed vanilla. I still much prefer the competition of multiplayer games though.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Dragon Age Origins was actually the only RPG I enjoyed playing single player because the story was pretty cool, and the group control was fun. Pausing every 2 seconds to make sure I made the right move in tense battles lol.

just fyi if you like that the icewind dale (which this thread is about) and baldurs gate games are exactly like this except with 100x more depth. they old though

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:21 pm 
GenOciDe-

I never played the Dragon Age series. Is it worth picking up?

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:25 pm 
turtleman@can

dragon age origins is good , first game in series..
2 kinda sucks in comparison

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:39 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

the first one is kinda good yeah. it sorta sucks compared to what its emulating (baldur's gate) but its pretty fun, i was solidly entertained

never played 2 but by all indications it is absolute garbage

edit: lol dragon age 2 metacritic page is a great demonstration of how unbelievably shitty gaming "journalism" is http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dragon-age-ii

quote:

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:12 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
quote:
Dragon Age Origins was actually the only RPG I enjoyed playing single player because the story was pretty cool, and the group control was fun. Pausing every 2 seconds to make sure I made the right move in tense battles lol.

just fyi if you like that the icewind dale (which this thread is about) and baldurs gate games are exactly like this except with 100x more depth. they old though

what about neverwinter? are they the same too?

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:58 pm