No, I like my cigs though.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 44

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
cracky

quote:
Originally posted by Scrub
Apparently you didnt drink enough Steel Reserve or Natty Ice in 8th/9th grade.

quote:
Originally posted by Location: Texas
or Icehouse, Keystone, Old Style, Natural Lite, Natural Ice, or a pretty extensive list of other beers that taste far far worse than Michelob Ultra. Michelob Ultra, MGD 64, Bud Select, etc. are all for the same target group... not anyone on this forum except maybe Lisa or NotATroll. Michelob Ultra tastest better than Corona as long as we're talking about watery garbage..

Don't mind any of those beers... they are cheap and meant to get you drunk and some come in 30 packs... and they dont taste like a half beer/half water gag reflex. Actually, MGD 64 is worse than michelob ultra, but all the rest you guys named are completely fine.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:41 pm 
McTommo

Yeah man alcohol is completely safe, and results in very few social problems or fatalities. You really need to watch out for drugs like marijuana which result in millions of emergency room visits and lead to thousands of deaths each year.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 am 
Mackman

quote:
Originally posted by McTommo
Yeah man alcohol is completely safe, and results in very few social problems or fatalities. You really need to watch out for drugs like marijuana which result in millions of emergency room visits and lead to thousands of deaths each year.

Studies have linked occasional alcohol use with improved heart function, especially with red wine. There are some advantages for the body with alcohol. With marijuana and other drugs there are no positive affects what so ever.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:51 am 
Nedok

how about the fact that it is extremely easy to overdose on alcohol and die, and its impossible to overdose on pot? Alcohol is a much more dangerous drug than marijuana mackman, don't even start

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
SoCxHoP

quote:
Originally posted by Nedok
how about the fact that it is extremely easy to overdose on alcohol and die, and its impossible to overdose on pot? Alcohol is a much more dangerous drug than marijuana mackman, don't even start

you'd need a huge amount to fatally OD on acid too... legalize lsd too?

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:49 pm 
ChrisLui

quote:
Originally posted by SoCxHoP
quote:

you'd need a huge amount to fatally OD on acid too... legalize lsd too?
yes please

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:50 pm 
Nedok

seeing as how the harmful side effects are significantly lower than alcohol, lsd and pot should be legal.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
SoCxHoP

actually probably wouldn't be the end of the world either since it's not physically addicting and there's only limited and it seems fairly rare long-term side effects. really the only ones i can say i'm 100% for being illegal are probably the ones everyone else are against... the terribly addicting ones that have the potential to kill you in one use (heroin, cocaine, meth, etc.). the rest of them would be safer if nothing else if we legalized them since we could then regulate what goes into them.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:58 pm 
TheDRAX

quote:
Originally posted by Mackman
quote:

Studies have linked occasional alcohol use with improved heart function, especially with red wine. There are some advantages for the body with alcohol. With marijuana and other drugs there are no positive affects what so ever.

Medicinal marijuana for cancer patients to both ease the pain of chemo and boost there appetite and willingness to eat. I think that is a "positive" for the body.

Last edited by TheDRAX on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:12 pm 
GreenHorn

I don't believe that any drug (done in moderation) is all bad for you.

The problem is that some of the more addictive substances are hard to take in moderation.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:13 pm 
GreenHorn

quote:
Originally posted by TheDRAX
quote:
quote:

Medicinal marijuana? Cancer patients? Ring a bell?

Not to mention the creativity.
Hard to know how many epic songs; movies; poems; etc have come from someone under the influence of drugs.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:17 pm 
Nedok

quote:
Originally posted by SoCxHoP
actually probably wouldn't be the end of the world either since it's not physically addicting and there's only limited and it seems fairly rare long-term side effects. really the only ones i can say i'm 100% for being illegal are probably the ones everyone else are against... the terribly addicting ones that have the potential to kill you in one use (heroin, cocaine, meth, etc.). the rest of them would be safer if nothing else if we legalized them since we could then regulate what goes into them.

yeah thats pretty much where i stand, although i probably wouldn't be opposed to all drugs being legalized.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:20 am 
McTommo

quote:
quote:

Seriously man why do you even bother posting shit like this, it makes it so obvious you have read very little on the topic. I don't have the energy to post an exhaustive rebuttal or anything, but in brief

-Although there is still some evidence of cardiovascular benefit from moderate alcohol consumption, many of the studies supporting this conclusion have been criticised for extremely poor design (eg they often use people who can't drink alcohol for health reasons as the abstaining group). The consensus in the scientific community is that even if there are benefits from alcohol the harm to society far outweighs them (not even close).

-To say there are no positive effects whatsoever from other drugs is the equivalent of saying the sun revolves around the earth. It's pretty frustrating for someone with a particular interest in the area (me) to read something so ignorant and grossly untrue.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:19 am 
Mackman

Oh so there is some evidence? That makes me correct, thanks for admitting it. Calm the fuck down.

If your particular interests include using drugs, and it actually frustrates you to hear people bad mouth your precious past time, you need a new hobby.

Fooling the body into not feeling pain, or eating doesn't necessarily mean its good for you. Yes it can ease the pain for cancer patients, which I don't find a problem with. I cant see how smoking pot for example, can be considered a good thing for your lungs at all. Can any of you drug experts tell me with any certainty that the smoke causes no damage whatso ever to your lungs at the very least?

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:44 am 
Mackman

You dont have to answer my question McTommo.

one simple search on google:

http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

"Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke."

"A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.10 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses. "

so yeah, its real good for your body.

moron.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:53 am 
McTommo

Err you seem to have made a few incorrect assumptions... I'll do my best not to flame here

-I never said my particular interest involves using drugs. I'm interested in the potential benefits of many illicit drugs (psychedelics in particular) and have done a fair amount of reading in the area. You obviously haven't, which is fine, I just get a little annoyed when people chime in when they aren't particularly educated on the topic.

-I never said smoking marijuana was good either. It's pretty obvious that inhaling any form of burning plant material is not going to be good for your body whether it contains a psychoactive substance or not. I'm interested in the potential of the active ingredient itself, which can be used in many methods which don't necessarily harm the body in the same way as inhaling the smoke.

And don't get me wrong I'm well aware that marijuana can be a very damaging drug for certain people. All I'm trying to get across is that you seem to be grossly exaggerating the benefits of alcohol and the harms of marijuana, when anyone with a thorough understanding of the situation realises the exact opposite is the reality.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 am 
McTommo

http://www.eurad.net/pdf/Papers/Alcohol%20-%20IHD%20-%20No%20Free%20Lunch.pdf

This was published in the lancet for anyone who is interested (and knows what a randomised trial is)

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:35 am 
Nedok

lets see,

number of deaths per year related to alcohol in the US: 100,000+

number of deaths per year related to marijuana use... 0?

even fox news agrees http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196678,00.html

yeah mackman alcohol use is definately healthy and a great contribution to society

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:53 pm 
Jon;

quote:
http://www.eurad.net/pdf/Papers/Alcohol%20-%20IHD%20-%20No%20Free%20Lunch.pdf

This was published in the lancet for anyone who is interested (and knows what a randomised trial is)

do you mean an RCT ?( randomized controlled trial)

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:19 pm 
SoCxHoP

quote:
yeah thats pretty much where i stand, although i probably wouldn't be opposed to all drugs being legalized.

by legalized i mean being able to buy it at a store. i think my list of things that i wouldn't mind being legal grows much larger if we're talking about prescriptions.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:17 pm 
Mackman

quote:
lets see,

number of deaths per year related to alcohol in the US: 100,000+

number of deaths per year related to marijuana use... 0?

even fox news agrees http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196678,00.html

yeah mackman alcohol use is definately healthy and a great contribution to society

*ignores my entire post*

"yeah mackman its so healthy!!"

I never said it was healthy, I said there are some studies which point to occasional alcohol consumption having certain health benefits. Lung cancer has been linked to smoking marijuana as well. That makes your 0 deaths complete bullshit. Nice try though.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:48 pm 
GreenHorn

what about people who never smoke anything that die of lung cancer?

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:57 pm 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by GreenHorn

link or it never happened

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:03 pm 
GreenHorn

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20080908/nonsmokers-lung-cancer-men-die-more

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 pm 
MassiveAttack

quote:
Originally posted by GreenHorn

sigh its not like ppl cant die from pollution or terrible working/residential areas.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:14 pm 
Aerasal

mackman is so fucking hopeless. people really shouldn't even bother responding to him anymore

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:15 pm 
Scrub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMDVveEZjI8

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:34 pm 
McTommo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQr9ezr8UeA&feature=related

So will he live up to his words?

Also this is a good article

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1441

But the opinions of drug experts pale in comparison to the power of typing "dangers of marijuana" into google.

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:05 am 
Mackman

all i typed was "marijuana affects" and it was the first link.

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:07 am 
Mackman

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
mackman is so fucking hopeless. people really shouldn't even bother responding to him anymore

so you think that smoking weed is more healthy on your lungs than cigarette smoke?

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:09 am