FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Strategy & Tactics

Mining speed from different positions

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Phoenix

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had bothered to calculate or record the different mining speeds from different spots around the gold mine. By this I mean, three spaces away all 360 degrees around the mine.

Can anyone offer insight on this?

Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

I haven't but I could give some insight. The fastest gold you can get on a mine is when the peons going and returning from the mine move only 3 squares. This is why 9 is good on GOW, every line the peons can take to the mine and back to your hall is only 3 squares. 5 is also like this if you put the hall to the right of the mine.

2 on GOW is sort of interesting. If you put your hall to the far right, your peons move 3 squares to the mine and 4 squares back to the hall (initially). However, if you put it to the left of the mine (there is only one decent spot) your peons move 3 squares to and from the mine initially. So is the left better? There are only 2 lines to the mine that are 3 squares long. As soon as your gold lines get conjested your peons will move to other lines that are 4 squares and even 5. I don't know which is better, I haven't looked into it. It would seem the left is better initially but after you get a lot of peons, who knows.

Another thing to look at is where your peons pop out. If you hall is on the left of the mine you could increase your gold flow by walling the left and bottom sides of the hall so your peons pop out closer to the mine.

Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:14 pm 
Phoenix

Peons pop closest to the mine, no matter what the orientation. The overflow (if there are multiple peons) goes clockwise like regular popping does.

That 2 o'clock example was one of the things I was interested in. For GOW BNE, at 2 most people build the TH below the mine. I was thinking that putting it to the left of the mine near the trees would be better. There isn't a lot of conjestion there, and it lets you put your mill at the trees below.

Anyways, thanks

Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

Peons are created top left and this moves anti-clockwise as each spot is covered. That is what I was refering to. If your hall is left of the mine you can increase your gain in gold by walling your left side and bottom so peons are created closer to your mine. Of course, this is only usefull if you are going to put a lot of peons on gold right away. On something like NWTR you might want your peons popping (being created) away from your mine so that you can get wood.

Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:50 pm