FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Strategy & Tactics

NWTR Question

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ZourPhish

NWTR Question

Is it possible to grunt hop from blue w/o covering the entire map. Also what do ppl think about grnt hopping from prpl. Its not to hard but is it fast enough? To me it seems it only pays to g-hop from red.

Also ppl rarly do this but it works well: in a team game, blue should diag hop to prpl then dk, while red chops to blue and 3-hall cats.

Also one last question: Um in 1v1's what should u do if you get teal? For me what works best is to diag-chop middle to blue and prpl, with 2 raxes at teal then 1 at blue and if you still have the need, you could get a 4th at prpl. From there you can dk or sapp and push grunts.

All help is appreciated.

------
-ZourPhish

Post Sun Dec 31, 2000 12:53 am 
Axolotl

NWTR Question

Right, not worth it to grunt hop from there.
Even from purple it's not really worth it. If the enemy sees it, 1 guard tower and you're dead.

You obviously meant 3 rax cat. Just make sure the 1 catter doesnt get outcatted too bad by the 2 players. Then you lose all your wood. You know the deal.

4 raxs? If you 2 hall early I guess you could do that. I find you can go 1 or 2 cats with a dual, and just outpower a 1 hall catter, while keeping his cats off the treeline with yours. If you can ever chop to both free corners before them they are dead, of course. In a game with an equal player, you will both get your adjacent corner, and will have a stand off. Usually ogres + a cat or 2 wins it. Sometimes you'll get up to fort, but you always gotta watch for the sap job.

Post Mon Jan 01, 2001 5:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ZourPhish

NWTR Question

thing is that you can grunt hop from red without any trouble (cept 4 steps to mine and 2 walls). But the point is that it's fast enough that you'll have a grunt there around the time his tower is mid finished and he's canceling his cats. It's true tho that a chop rush will own grunt hopping 60% of the time but ppl usually dont rush from prpl - mostly blue.

#2) I meant 3-rax just i couldnt edit it b/c i wasnt registered. Also the 4th rax was like i wrote ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE NEED - which u probably wont.

What i understood from what u wrote is that in a 1v1, if u can contain him on both sides u won?

------
ZourPhish

Post Mon Jan 01, 2001 11:18 pm 
Axolotl

NWTR Question

SEe the thing with grunt hopping is if they notice it and you are dead.
Let's say you are at red, and I'm at blue. I scout the right treeline like any player does so I can see the chop rush. My peon sees the rax going up, or the walls, and I know whats up. Even if I started my mill last, I can easily put up 1 farm, 1 guard tower, to wall your grunts into a little corner of my base. I build cats as normal, and you lose half of your buildings ( and eventually your town hall). Grunt hopping is very risky, and will get you killed 95% of the time vs someone good (just talking about from red to blue here too).

Of course if you contain both sides you won. Keep pumping cats. Even if you are losing 2xs as many cats they will soon be out of wood. Just keep picking off any chopping peons. It's easily done. Basically when you get to both sides of an enemy on that map, they are owned. If it happens to you, you should feel owned.

Post Tue Jan 02, 2001 3:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
@Shaman

NWTR Question

I was playing a game on nwtr a few weeks ago when someone tried this on me. I hadn't played much war2 recently and hardly ever play nwtr. I just play it once in a while becuase it's one of the few maps hosted that's not gow. Note: I had never seen anyone do a grunt hop before this game. I was bottom right and he was top right (not sure what the colors are) I scouted the treeline with my peon and noticed his buildings were up against the treeline. I thought this was pretty strange, being that they would be easy pickings for cats. A short while later I saw a grunt appear on my side of the trees and after a second of surprise, I knew what was up. I pulled about 6 peons and raped the grunt. I already had 2 cats being trained at this time. I then rep'd 2 gaurd towers near the tree lines to kill any more grunts that hopped and in range of his buildings. He tried hopping a few more grunts, but I got two more with peons and then the rest with the towers and cats. Shortly after the game was over. I thought this was a fairly inventive strategy and told my opponent so. He said thanks and that he had won with it before. I thought to myself that he must have been playing a newbie to win. I wasn't sure if many poeople used this, but I assumed they didn't. I had played maybe 30 games of war2 all of 2000 up until this point, was fairly rusty, and had never seen this before and was able to beat it down fairly effectively. Just thought I'd share my thoughts and experience with you when I saw this post. Hope this helps you out in some way. If not, I hope you found it at least minorly entertaining to read.

Post Fri Jan 05, 2001 11:06 am 
ZourPhish

NWTR Question

With the right build order, it can be dedly.
Ph33r th3 h0[]D[]D3|2'$ !!!

Post Mon Jan 15, 2001 10:47 pm